PDA

View Full Version : System Shutdown

plasticman1
10-01-2003, 07:18 PM
dono if im in the right place but here goes
whenever im on line with my lap top after a while iget a message "this system is shutting down...............initiated by nt authority\system......
remote procedure call terminated unexpectantly" then shuts down i found a reference to it on microsoft but they want me to ring them for the fix. yeah right!

ive been tring to install serv pack 1 to see if that would help but it keeps shuting down.
by the way its xp home
many thanks in advance

ultimatejester
10-01-2003, 07:35 PM
looks like u got a nasty virus. dont ya have ne antivirus on ur system

http://its.med.yale.edu/security/alerts/FixWinsh/

edit: it came out a month ago. u need to update your av definitions

plasticman1
10-01-2003, 08:38 PM
ive tried the virus thing jester none found i dont think its a virus.

Icey
10-01-2003, 08:40 PM
its the ms blaster worm..

i'll look for some info now.

Icey
10-01-2003, 08:41 PM
W32.Blaster.Worm

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...aster.worm.html (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html)

plasticman1
10-01-2003, 08:45 PM
sorry not blaster worm either tried that already

Icey
10-01-2003, 08:49 PM
try this.. http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...lchia.worm.html (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.welchia.worm.html)

plasticman1
10-01-2003, 08:54 PM
sorry not that either i dont think it is a virus but thanks for the reponse.

Icey
10-01-2003, 08:57 PM
best bet is to download the microsoft patch.

plasticman1
10-01-2003, 09:00 PM
do you not need service pack 1 installed first?
i cant stay online long enough.

nikita69
10-01-2003, 09:00 PM
If you disconnect your computer from its broadband connection, it does not shut down. Remove the cable from the network card or unplug the USB cable modem, if u have one.

plasticman1
10-01-2003, 09:06 PM
sorry nikita69 do you mean me?

Izagaia
10-01-2003, 09:07 PM
File:FixBlast.exe
Length:168640 Bytes, 164KB
UUHash:=T8pKXe2K09Vrx5cfkUsu6z9t/f8=

If you are on XP and able to use your internet connection long enough. I never had to use this myself, but I thought it best to be prepared.

toddiscool
10-01-2003, 09:08 PM
start-run-msconfig - take msblaster.exe out of the star up list, reboot download and install the service pack and the patch.

Edit: and the removal tool from norton

nikita69
10-01-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by plasticman1@2 October 2003 - 03:06
sorry nikita69 do you mean me?
yes

Wolfmight
10-01-2003, 10:57 PM
there are 4-6 versions of msblast.. they arnt that stupid in other versions.

Icey
10-02-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by toddiscool@1 October 2003 - 22:08
start-run-msconfig - take msblaster.exe out of the star up list, reboot download and install the service pack and the patch.

Edit: and the removal tool from norton
he said it wasn't ms blaster..

asmithz
10-02-2003, 12:27 PM
Its the MBlast, i think he just didnt find think found it, well i had it hold on well i get how to get rid of it. It hell that same thing, also you need a firewall, sygate works best.

asmithz
10-02-2003, 12:28 PM
To clean out Blaster yourself, start by physically disconnecting the computer from the network and Internet. Then kill off the MSBLAST.EXE process. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the Task Manager – in Windows 2000 you'll also click the Task Manager button. Click the Processes tab, highlight MSBLAST.EXE in the list, and click the End Process button.

The MSBLAST.EXE program is launched at startup from a Registry entry. Launch REGEDIT from the Start menu's Run dialog and navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. In the right-hand pane you should see a value whose name is "windows auto update" and whose data is MSBLAST.EXE. Delete this value. If for some reason you couldn't kill off the MSBLAST.EXE process in the preceding step, restart the computer at this point.

Use Search from the Start menu to locate all instances of files named MSBLAST.EXE and delete them. Next, disable DCOM temporarily. Launch DCOMCNFG.EXE from the Start menu's Run dialog. Those running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 will now need to navigate to Console Root\Component Services\Computers\My Computer, then right-click My Computer and choose Properties. Click the Default Properties tab, un-check "Enable Distributed COM on this computer", and click OK.

Now you can reconnect the computer to the network –- even if Blaster were to attack your system again it can't function with DCOM disabled. The first thing you must do is download and install a personal firewall – you can get a free one from ZoneLabs or Sygate. Once the personal firewall is up and running, go back and re-enable DCOM. Finally, install the Microsoft patch that blocks the vulnerability exploited by Blaster. Just think, if you had done that when it was announced Blaster could never have hit your system

plasticman1
10-02-2003, 03:36 PM
cheers everyone got it sorted it was the blaster :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

nanotek
10-02-2003, 05:07 PM
interesting topic! the same thing happened to me last week! this system will shut down in 60 secs msg.... funny thing is i did the following : all microsoft updates ,norton antv with all updates done 2 virus scans online, did 3 diff. trojan scans -2 online ,one with swatit .check reg could not find msblast anywhere,got the msblast patch weeks before anything happened.i have a neat freeware thing installed (dcombobulater from steve gibson -this prog blocks the whole raw sockets problem -thats how the msblast worm attacks the computer ,this can be found at grc.com .so what could this be?????????????

i tried to do system restore but that did not work, it only happened once -the shut down and since then nothig else has happened and i am 24-7 online !

so any ideas ?

exeus
10-02-2003, 05:15 PM
did you do a Ctrl Alt Del just before it happened?

nanotek
10-02-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by exeus@2 October 2003 - 17:15
did you do a Ctrl Alt Del just before it happened?
no i did not it happened by itself ! i was really shocked :o

i also got the msg : the remote maschine bla bla like the first guy mentioned ,what does this have to do with windows nt btw as i have xp pro ?

exeus
10-02-2003, 05:29 PM
winodws xp is built on win nt technology

nanotek
10-02-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by exeus@2 October 2003 - 17:29
winodws xp is built on win nt technology
aha that explains that btw i am doing another online scan at the moment and i will change my virus prog in the next couple of days just in case norton can't find anything ! who knows maybe avg will find something!

one intersting side note though ,couple of days back i went to my bios and changed my gh ,is possible to overclock by setting neu value ,i just changed it to 2.1 gh maybe thats got to do something with it . well it did not work well so i changed it back to the original setting and since then nothing else has happened -no resets and the like

edit :when i open the task manager i see a file: helpsvc.exe .
this file has been one the last 2 weeks or so ,hasn't done this before and i don't have any help progs running at the moment so what could this be ? have checked to see where it is though : windows :pchealth:helpctr:binaries

exeus
10-02-2003, 05:45 PM
it is possible that the CPU was cracking it and causeing probs

nanotek
10-02-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by exeus@2 October 2003 - 17:45
it is possible that the CPU was cracking it and causeing probs
but i only changed it by 100 mh .is that enough to cause probs ?and i did get that msg that the pc was shutting down in 60 secs!

edit :hey hey hey :P just got my 1 star changed to 3 stars hurrah!!!! :D

exeus
10-02-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by nanotek@2 October 2003 - 17:51
edit :hey hey hey :P just got my 1 star changed to 3 stars hurrah!!!! :D
congrats :)
when it comes to overclocking it is hard to say i mens sometimes a small increase in CPU speed may push other components to far it all depends on motherboard bios cpu ect....

nanotek
10-02-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by exeus+2 October 2003 - 18:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (exeus @ 2 October 2003 - 18:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nanotek@2 October 2003 - 17:51
edit :hey hey hey&nbsp; :P&nbsp; just got my 1 star changed to 3 stars hurrah&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :D
congrats :)
when it comes to overclocking it is hard to say i mens sometimes a small increase in CPU speed may push other components to far it all depends on motherboard bios cpu ect.... [/b][/quote]
:P thnkx could be your right ,the explorer was taking forever to load pages from the internet and sometimes freezing as well&#33;