PDA

View Full Version : My Pc Is Screwed Up!

Cain0xr
10-01-2003, 11:24 PM
What the hell, I leave my pc for 20 mins with download accelerator on later I come back and see that the machine is restarted and I getthe win2k pro logon screen, oh well I assume it's the power cut.

I enter my login info and password and then the dialog box dssappears, I hear the welcome sound but the mouse pointer just sits there for like 50 seconds after which everything starts up, oh well I again think it to be normal.

And then I get an error that RPC could'nt be started or something, the window title of the error box had explorer.

Well, now the frigging problem is I can't move any icons on my desktop or even explorer!!!!

I thought it must be because of the RPC service so I start services in administrative tools and try to view the properties of RPC....nothing I get, not even a window. When I try to exit it says I must close all property pages before closing MMC, how the hell am I supposed to close it if I can't even see the damn thing!

I force it to close using task manager, and to top it all I discovered I can't even cut or copy files!

I don't want to install windows and all the programs I have downloaded all over again, I hope there's some solution to this, is this a bug or something?

-M

callum
10-01-2003, 11:39 PM
Sounds like you've got a virus.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...aster.worm.html (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html)

If your comp keeps shutting down with an error about RPC, it'll be the one in the link above.

Cain0xr
10-01-2003, 11:55 PM
It seems like it but my pc has'nt shut down till yet, I confirmed there was a power failure in here, it's never restarted since, neverthless I am downloading the patch!!!

Thanx,

|Cain|

Cain0xr
10-01-2003, 11:58 PM
Also the windows update website just gives me a blank in ie unlike Opera through which I can't update! :(

|Cain|

callum
10-02-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Cain0xr@1 October 2003 - 23:58
Also the windows update website just gives me a blank in ie unlike Opera through which I can't update! :(

|Cain|
The point of that virus was to attack the windows update site, so it sounds like you have it. It's not difficult to get rid of and it won't do you any damage.

balamm
10-02-2003, 12:02 AM
You need to turn stealth off or drop your firewall while you check updates. Absolutely stupid but true. Trust MS? I think not ;)

Cain0xr
10-02-2003, 12:17 AM
Well, now I am even more confused - the patch did'nt find any virus....I even did a search for mblast.exe manually but came up with no luck...

Grr!!! I still can't copy/cut/paste/drag files/surf windows update and wait for an eternity for my computer to start only to greeted by an RPC error which says it failed to start!
|Cain|

Wolfmight
10-02-2003, 12:34 AM
Might not be msblast.. maybe it's nEw

Cain0xr
10-02-2003, 06:07 PM
YEEEEEEEHHHHHHAAAAAWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

It worked!!!!!

I was sure it was because of the RPC since I could'nt even install new proggys!!! [damn thing gave an rpc error]

Well but I still could'nt start it so I started searching for tools which start services ni windows 2k.

I stumbled upon info on how to start/stop services through the registry using good ol' google :D

Damn!!! now everything works perfectly, no need to reinstall everything :D

Thanx for the help :D

-M