PDA

View Full Version : Computer Starts Alone

Zobr
10-02-2003, 02:47 PM
Hi guys!

i installed windowsXP pro 2 days ago. something very strange happens since then... when i wake up i find the computer running and showing the logon screen.

is there a setting in windows which might cause this or do i have ghosts in the house???

N£MO
10-02-2003, 02:59 PM
No setting that i know of would do that. :unsure:

Just switch the plug off and do a virus scan.

MUSLEMAN
10-02-2003, 03:10 PM
i vote virus scan but you are turning your pc totally off before you go to bed right?? that is what i got from it

fkdup74
10-02-2003, 03:17 PM
had the same thing happen to me zobr.................when my comp was infected!
scan it quick

shn
10-02-2003, 08:54 PM
If you leave your computer own and lets say the screensaver comes on. By default its selected to prompt you for your password or bring up the welcome or log in screen when you come back to your computer if its been a specified amount of time elapsed.

Change it, right click the desktop and click properties and go to screensaver and deselect the checkbox that says prompt for passrod or whatever.

hope that helped. :)

3rd gen noob
10-02-2003, 08:59 PM
is your computer called Christine?

:rolleyes:

zapjb
10-02-2003, 09:18 PM
Your computer is somebody elses bitch (bot). You got a trojan.

shn
10-02-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by zapjb@2 October 2003 - 15:18
Your computer is somebody elses bitch (bot). You got a trojan.
Maybe I misunderstood the topic question.

However, no trojan is able to turn someones computer "on" when its already "off"

Off maybe, but not on. Use a little networking common sense.

abu_has_the_power
10-02-2003, 09:38 PM
it's either a virus or a power surge. most likely a power surge. my first computer used to do that alot. that was 5 years ago when power surges weren't that much of a concern. but most viruses aren't active when the comp is shut down. if it turns on all the time, try buying a surge protector. it helps. 80% of the time, it's a power surge. hope this helps

fr600
10-02-2003, 11:19 PM
Once I had the same prob. I found that it actually happens for the power. There must be sth wrong with ur comp's power supply or the plug. Check those n its gonna be all right...

zapjb
10-02-2003, 11:45 PM
Me thinks OP has their computer on standby or hibernate. Not OFF. And I still think their computer is somebody elses bitch (bot). :lol: Plus I like saying that. :lol:

Morfeo
10-02-2003, 11:46 PM
there is something else that u can prove ... if there no virus, and no one program turning on ur computer, try going into settings on ur mother board .. and maybe there is a value named rtc alarm, it must be disable ... i dont think it's what happened to u but it can be a solution.... Luck

Xilo
10-03-2003, 12:12 AM
I had the exact same problem. My computer would start up all by itself. At first I thought it was a virus or trojan, but I did several scans and nothing came up. Then I thought it was some hacker doing something, so I would unplug the ethernet cable but it would still do it. Then I thought it was the Wake On Lan feature in the BIOS but I had that turned off. After I reformatted, I finally figured out what it was. It was the damn controller card drivers. <_<