PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 Leaked!

tlavar
10-03-2003, 01:21 AM
Ever have one of those weeks? This has just not been the best couple of days for me or for Valve.

Yes, the source code that has been posted is the HL-2 source code.

Here is what we know:

1) Starting around 9/11 of this year, someone other than me was accessing my email account. This has been determined by looking at traffic on our email server versus my travel schedule.

2) Shortly afterwards my machine started acting weird (right-clicking on executables would crash explorer). I was unable to find a virus or trojan on my machine, I reformatted my hard drive, and reinstalled.

3) For the next week, there appears to have been suspicious activity on my webmail account.

4) Around 9/19 someone made a copy of the HL-2 source tree.

5) At some point, keystroke recorders got installed on several machines at Valve. Our speculation is that these were done via a buffer overflow in Outlook's preview pane. This recorder is apparently a customized version of RemoteAnywhere created to infect Valve (at least it hasn't been seen anywhere else, and isn't detected by normal virus scanning tools).

6) Periodically for the last year we've been the subject of a variety of denial of service attacks targetted at our webservers and at Steam. We don't know if these are related or independent.

Well, this sucks.

What I'd appreciate is the assistance of the community in tracking this down. I have a special email address for people to send information to, [email protected]. If you have information about the denial of service attacks or the infiltration of our network, please send the details. There are some pretty obvious places to start with the posts and records in IRC, so if you can point us in the right direction, that would be great.

We at Valve have always thought of ourselves as being part of a community, and I can't imagine a better group of people to help us take care of these problems than this community.

Gabe

This has to suck yet is hard to feel sorry given the fact that they have postponed the game for a while. When can we expect hal life 2 to be finished now :D

Source (http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10692)

imported_khaki
10-03-2003, 02:27 AM
Gameworld
Discuss about everything related to Computer / Console Games here.

muchspl2
10-03-2003, 02:34 AM
YOU CAN'T PLAY SOURCE CODE
sorce code = software
dip5hit

imported_khaki
10-03-2003, 02:54 AM
source code = software ? Uh, no.

Code = programs. What is this program? A game.

asmithz
10-03-2003, 03:14 AM
Games dont have source codes (well they do but no) they have systems, scripts, and graphics engines. And script dont mean what you read your lines from. Its what tells the game what to do. (eg. What event happens next, how things move, ect...) To say you have the source code is to say you have nothing, you need more then one elament to make and complie the game.

shn
10-03-2003, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Agent Smith@2 October 2003 - 21:14
Games dont have source codes (well they do but no) they have systems, scripts, and graphics engines. And script dont mean what you read your lines from. Its what tells the game what to do. (eg. What event happens next, how things move, ect...) To say you have the source code is to say you have nothing, you need more then one elament to make and complie the game.
Well If the game is all source code, then I would think all you would need is a high end decent compiler to build it. :unsure:

Im no gamer, but I do take a few programming classes at school.

Btw, you said.........." To say you have the source code is to say you have nothing"

Sorce code is everything. If thats the case why doesnt microsoft want to give out any of its source code to windows. Well actually based on pending litigations and critism they have agreed to realease some of it but not all. But it took them years just to be able to do that.

Sorce code is only nothing to someone who wouldnt know what to do with. Source code is actually better than the program itself because then you can edit the source and make it run the way you want to.

asmithz
10-03-2003, 03:57 AM
No i mean, for a game its differant. For a program all you really need is a source code. For game you need multiple levels of information, not just the sorce code. Thats why i say if you have the source code for a game you have nothing.

Remember were talking about a game not a program, two differant things.

cpt_azad
10-03-2003, 04:04 AM
if you have the source code for a game you have nothing
sounds like something the oracle from the matrix would say :lol: .

shn
10-03-2003, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by Agent Smith@2 October 2003 - 21:57
No i mean, for a game its differant. For a program all you really need is a source code. For game you need multiple levels of information, not just the sorce code. Thats why i say if you have the source code for a game you have nothing.

Your probably right. I dont much about games. The only games Ive played was charlies angels and some shcokwave games on barbie.com. :P

asmithz
10-03-2003, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by shn+2 October 2003 - 20:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 2 October 2003 - 20:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Agent Smith@2 October 2003 - 21:57

Your probably right. I dont much about games. The only games Ive played was charlies angels and some shcokwave games on barbie.com. :P [/b][/quote]
Were talking about a high preformace game not a shockwave game. (not to be rude, sorry). I can see that mabey someone can say they have the source code, but mean they have all the information. Witch would mean i a dumass :lol: :lol:

sounds like something the oracle from the matrix would say.

Seriously, but i knew you were going to say that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

imported_khaki
10-03-2003, 04:56 AM
A game is (typically) a program that uses multiple resources other than its native code to create a gaming experience. Because remember, you could write an all text based game in pure code if you desired.

asmithz
10-03-2003, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by khaki@2 October 2003 - 20:56
A game is (typically) a program that uses multiple resources other than its native code to create a gaming experience. Because remember, you could write an all text based game in pure code if you desired.
Thats what i was trying to say, more or less. :D

psikoneo
10-03-2003, 05:28 AM
access to source code means programmer savvy people can create and modify cheats using the actual game source

so it&#39;s not useless

it&#39;s one uber big problem for valve