PDA

View Full Version : Redhat Problem

noname12
10-04-2003, 01:10 AM
Howdy doodie,
Well I got bored, and after seeing a few linux posts here and there decided to Install it for fun, you know see what the big fuss is, so the installation goes cool no probs, booting up is all good no probs there either, then on the first start up wizard, it asks me to put in a login so I do, like so XX XXXXX, and stuff then it comes up with an error probably because I put a space in it but I dunno, says it disabled login or something, now when I start it up, it goes to the login screen, I try to put it the login I used but it doesnt accept it, I tried some others and it didnt like it, and now I am stuck with a RedHat I cant use :lol: .

Any help appreciated.

oh yeah and I downloaded 9 (shrike) i386 from linuxiso.org

Thanks

Xilo
10-04-2003, 01:16 AM
Try using "root" without the quotes. You can then add users and stuff. Though it's a good idea to never use this for daily use as you can really screw up your system.

noname12
10-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Sorry where do I type in "root" ?
I'm a n00b :D

told you I'm a n00b :P

Xilo
10-04-2003, 01:24 AM
It's where you put the login name at.

shn
10-04-2003, 01:27 AM
Just reinstall. You dont have any important files on there yet I assume. So just do another install.

noname12
10-04-2003, 01:32 AM
I'm gonna restart and give the root idea a try...
I will edit this post depending on the result.
Thanks.

dingoBaby
10-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Do what shn suggested. Once you are good to go, set up the root user with a unique pass word and then set up another user, with a password, for your day-to-day activities. Use root for system maintence only (as in installing programs, changing settings, etc). Red Hat will promt you automatically for the root password if you attempt to do anything like that.

noname12
10-04-2003, 01:45 AM
I am using Redhat as I speak, Nice one Xilo, fixed the problem good.