PDA

View Full Version : Bittorrent Problems

Secret Squirrel
10-04-2003, 11:48 PM
Well as far as i know and i've posted this in like almost everysingle forum i know has not been able to solve my bittorrent problem. I have comcast cable internet and when i use bittorrent this is what happens:

I get the .torrent evertyhing good
Start to allocate and shit
D/L Starts yay!
D/L Freezes :( (D/L will freeze anywhere in between the first 5 minutes to like 20 mins)
COMP FREEZES ( For around 13 seconds i timed it lol)
Comp UNfreezes
Internet doesn't work
Have to reboot

THerefore bittorrent has not been a good solution for me and i am stuck to kazaa
Similarily it does this for sharaza too....

This is my last option guys help me!!!

System Specs:

1.5 Gig P4
256 Ram
15 In (Not sure if that matters)
SB 4100 Motorola Cable Modem
18 Gig HD ( LOL SO SMALL)
36X Reader( SO SLOW)
48X Burner

EDIT: Also incase ur wondering if "its the client" i have tried all of them (i think) Bittorrent original, BT++, Shadows ........

3rd gen noob
10-04-2003, 11:51 PM
try azureus client
where are you getting your torrent files from?
how much free ram do you have before you start the client, how much does the client use?

3rd gen noob
10-04-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Secret Squirrel@4 October 2003 - 23:48
don't do two things at once either...

:rolleyes:

Secret Squirrel
10-05-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+4 October 2003 - 23:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 4 October 2003 - 23:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> try azureus client
how much free ram do you have before you start the client, how much does the client use?

<!--QuoteBegin-Secret Squirrel@4 October 2003 - 23:48
don&#39;t do two things at once either...

:rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
Ok first lol dun do two things at first i&#39;l try that :)

Ok azureus client hmmmm i&#39;ll check it out and post what happens here
I am getting my torrent files from u know the anime sites like www.animesuki.com www.anime.mircx.com and supernova
How much free ram? Errr all i can say is A LOT
Ho wmuch does the client use? U tell me not a comp expert posted wut clients i used in the first post of dis thread

Switeck
10-05-2003, 02:07 AM
If you&#39;re behind a router and NOT port-forwarding, I think BitTorrent works badly or may even cause problems.

If you&#39;re on Win 9x/ME OSes and BitTorrent EVER exceeds 100 total connections at once (this is the SUM of ALL seeds, peers, the tracker itself, AND all your uploads), then windows can slow down, crash, or at least make the internet connection and all networking bomb out.

It could also be you need to update the firmware in the cablemodem or network card or update window&#39;s networking drivers.

And lastly, it could be viruses, trojans, adware/spyware, copyprotection, or weird Microsoft vs 3rd party software interactions... which pretty much covers everything. :P

callum
10-05-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Secret Squirrel+5 October 2003 - 00:31--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Secret Squirrel @ 5 October 2003 - 00:31)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@4 October 2003 - 23:52
try azureus client

<!--QuoteBegin-Secret Squirrel@4 October 2003 - 23:48
don&#39;t do two things at once either...

:rolleyes:
Ok first lol dun do two things at first i&#39;l try that :)

Ok azureus client hmmmm i&#39;ll check it out and post what happens here
I am getting my torrent files from u know the anime sites like www.animesuki.com www.anime.mircx.com and supernova
How much free ram? Errr all i can say is A LOT
Ho wmuch does the client use? U tell me not a comp expert posted wut clients i used in the first post of dis thread [/b][/quote]
Recently I have been having problems with the experimental client, it has been freezing.
I have switched to azureus, a nice program. But on a few occasions it has said a donwload is completed when it has not.

muchspl2
10-05-2003, 05:19 AM
althoe I have found azureus to be a great client, its not noob be friendly,
for the most part shadows is a great client to get you going, and its color coded, it will tell you if your firewalled or behind a router

Adster
10-05-2003, 07:13 AM
bitt torrent does suck up alot of resources

Secret Squirrel
10-05-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Switeck@5 October 2003 - 02:07
If you&#39;re behind a router and NOT port-forwarding, I think BitTorrent works badly or may even cause problems.

If you&#39;re on Win 9x/ME OSes and BitTorrent EVER exceeds 100 total connections at once (this is the SUM of ALL seeds, peers, the tracker itself, AND all your uploads), then windows can slow down, crash, or at least make the internet connection and all networking bomb out.

It could also be you need to update the firmware in the cablemodem or network card or update window&#39;s networking drivers.

And lastly, it could be viruses, trojans, adware/spyware, copyprotection, or weird Microsoft vs 3rd party software interactions... which pretty much covers everything. :P
Not behind a router
I have Windows XP
I did windows update and i have all the updates
Dun think i have all that spyware and virus shit cuz i have norton antivirus (which is also up to date) and i have adware, spybot search and destroy and all that stuff

muchspl2
10-05-2003, 08:52 PM
hes talking about the drivers for your nic card
need to update them, herd some cards have to be updated because of conflicks
check here and see if your nic is on the list
http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/36.html

xp has a firewall built in
need to turn that pos of a firewall off
if you want you can get zonealarm pretty simple to set up

Secret Squirrel
10-06-2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by muchspl2@5 October 2003 - 20:52
hes talking about the drivers for your nic card
need to update them, herd some cards have to be updated because of conflicks
check here and see if your nic is on the list
http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/36.html

xp has a firewall built in
need to turn that pos of a firewall off
if you want you can get zonealarm pretty simple to set up
Woa it has my card on it could be the solution (FA312) I&#39;ll post bak wut happends thanks&#33;

Secret Squirrel
10-06-2003, 02:45 AM
Well&#33; I updated my driver with the help of some indian lady on the netgear phone line (yes mock my n00bieness) :lol: :lol: and im d/ling american wedding from suprnova and it hasn&#39;t frozen yet OMG WOW BUT we sitll have 8 more hours to go so pray for me :)

Secret Squirrel
10-07-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Secret Squirrel@6 October 2003 - 02:45
Well&#33; I updated my driver with the help of some indian lady on the netgear phone line (yes mock my n00bieness) :lol: :lol: and im d/ling american wedding from suprnova and it hasn&#39;t frozen yet OMG WOW BUT we sitll have 8 more hours to go so pray for me :)
Damn. Damn Damn Damn Damn Damn Damn.

I wake up today go to skool, come bak and expect it to be finished and it is......

FROZEN YES&#33;&#33;&#33; AT 30%&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

O well at least u guys slowed it down to 30% freeze

Any other solutions?

Icebound
10-07-2003, 06:27 AM
i have the solution&#33;&#33;&#33; this happened to me too -- here&#39;s what u do:
go to preferences, advanced and change ur max connections from No Limit to 60 or something. that did the trick.
u can thank me later :D

Switeck
10-07-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Secret Squirrel+5 October 2003 - 15:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Secret Squirrel &#064; 5 October 2003 - 15:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Dun think i have all that spyware and virus shit cuz i have norton antivirus (which is also up to date) and i have adware, spybot search and destroy and all that stuff[/b]Don&#39;t expect Norton Antivirus to offer 100% protection. Even viruses it supposedly does protect against can sometimes do a &#39;knockout punch&#39; infection which deletes/cripples common antivirus products when it first infects.

Norton AV doesn&#39;t cover every virus either -- at least not the very newest ones... and if you&#39;ve followed how fast new superviruses spread, you&#39;d know the very newest ones are typically the ones causing almost everyone so much trouble.

I didn&#39;t catch if you&#39;ve updated your networking card firmware/drivers.<!--QuoteBegin-Secret Squirrel@6 October 2003 - 19:31
I wake up today go to skool, come bak and expect it to be finished and it is......

FROZEN YES&#33;&#33;&#33; AT 30%&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

O well at least u guys slowed it down to 30% freeze

Any other solutions?[/quote]Is the Torrent just running low on sources/seeds?
If you&#39;re not uploading a lot of the file to lots of the other downloaders, you are often the first to get reduced then halted download speeds.