PDA

View Full Version : Is this guy serious?

j2k4
09-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Read:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/09/15/congressman-people-don-white-hoods-wilson-rebuked/

clocker
09-15-2009, 07:21 PM
What part do you find hard to believe...that Wilson should be sanctioned or the south is full of barely disguised racists?

j2k4
09-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Do you see direct cause-and-effect here?

Is criticism of Obama off-limits to other-than-blacks?

clocker
09-15-2009, 10:07 PM
"Criticism"?

You call the spewing of filth from the right for the past summer "criticism"?
Can you find a single example of similar behavior from a Democrat towards Bush?

Can you provide a single example of a President's birth being questioned, save for Obama's?
Any examples of the President's religion being called into question?

Yelling out at a President- calling him a liar- while he delivers a speech to Congress is mere "criticism" to you?

You label batshit insane behavior "criticism" and continue to lower the bar for public discourse in America...well done, Kev.

j2k4
09-15-2009, 10:16 PM
"Criticism"?

You call the spewing of filth from the right for the past summer "criticism"?

Can you provide a single example of a President's birth being questioned, save for Obama's?
Any examples of the President's religion being called into question?

Yelling out at a President- calling him a liar- while he delivers a speech to Congress is mere "criticism" to you?

You label batshit insane behavior "criticism" and continue to lower the bar for public discourse in America...well done, Kev.

You're kidding, right?

clocker
09-15-2009, 10:58 PM
No more so than you.

devilsadvocate
09-15-2009, 11:19 PM
If the quote is anywhere near accurate I would have to disagree with Johnson.

I think the pointy hat brigade is more likely to ride the more Wilson is rebuked.

clocker
09-16-2009, 01:24 AM
I think the pointy hat brigade is more likely to ride the more Wilson is rebuked.
Wilson is already being lionized by the right wingnuts who think that any rebuke is uncalled for, even the tepid and puerile apology he offered offends them.

Glen Beck, through his incredibly twisted logic, has somehow managed to condemn for Kanye West for his asshat behavior but turn Wilson into the poster boy for his moronic 912 project.
To Beck and his followers a black man fucking with a white girl is much worse than a white representative dissing the President.

At this point, I see no reason to be cautious regarding the right.
They've spent the entire summer showing exactly what they plan on doing and bi-partisanship ain't part of the plan.
Kow-towing out of fear of a possible reaction is just showing weakness which will be exploited mercilessly.

No more Mr. Niceguy...treat 'em like the thugs they are.

Skiz
09-16-2009, 03:55 AM

Yes. How can you not remember Bush being called a liar by Pete Stark on the House floor in his last year? Not once, but twice. No one ever called for a Pete Stark rebuke that I recall, and that scenario was a big story.

I also don't agree with Joe Wilson speaking out in such a way towards the President in a public forum, much less a televised one. He offered an apology, and the recipient of the comment accepted it. There's nothing left to do, and I can assure you I would have the same opinion regardless of who it was.

You also need to consider why he barked out the comment. Wilson is on the committee that is writing that portion of the bill. He knows the information contained therein and better than perhaps anyone else in Congress (except for the other committee members). He has gone on a show or two since that night and has made it clear that Obama was flat out lying about government benefits not covering illegals. Think about how he felt as he sat there knowing full well the President was lying through his teeth to everyone in attendance and to the cameras.

EDIT: Well, he's "rebuked". Fucking petty bullshit. Makes the Dems look like the crybabies they are. :dabs:

j2k4
09-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Kanye West was just trying to get in Beyonce's pants.

He'd have been just as rude to another black girl.

Or maybe not - were his actions racist?

clocker
09-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Completely different scenario and not comparable.
Besides, Bush et al DID lie...repeatedly and with aforethought, hundreds of times.

"Nothing in this subtitle shall allow Federal payments for affordability credits on behalf of individuals who are not lawfully present in the United States
Please point out what part of this exclusion is ambiguous to you and Wilson.

You cite Wilson's alleged expertise...what committee and what portion of what bill is Wilson such an expert on?
He's a duplicitous moron, not possessed of the basic manners expected from preschoolers.

You think we're crybabies...just wait.

Busyman
09-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Do you see direct cause-and-effect here?

Is criticism of Obama off-limits to other-than-blacks?

Wtf man?! Is this Bizarro World now?

You actually think what Wilson did was cool? That wasn't criticism. That was a fucking heckle during a speech. We ain't in Parliament.

This is a prime example of "if this was done to Bush, you'd be up in arms".

Busyman
09-16-2009, 11:38 AM

Yes. How can you not remember Bush being called a liar by Pete Stark on the House floor in his last year? Not once, but twice. No one ever called for a Pete Stark rebuke that I recall, and that scenario was a big story.

I also don't agree with Joe Wilson speaking out in such a way towards the President in a public forum, much less a televised one. He offered an apology, and the recipient of the comment accepted it. There's nothing left to do, and I can assure you I would have the same opinion regardless of who it was.

You also need to consider why he barked out the comment. Wilson is on the committee that is writing that portion of the bill. He knows the information contained therein and better than perhaps anyone else in Congress (except for the other committee members). He has gone on a show or two since that night and has made it clear that Obama was flat out lying about government benefits not covering illegals. Think about how he felt as he sat there knowing full well the President was lying through his teeth to everyone in attendance and to the cameras.

EDIT: Well, he's "rebuked". Fucking petty bullshit. Makes the Dems look like the crybabies they are. :dabs:
Dude, you are one of the most clueless individuals on here.

It doesn't matter why he barked the comment. You don't think people wanted to curse Bush while he making some his speech on national television? Sure, they keep their fucking mouth shut.

Show me a link to Obama lying about the illegal health coverage. Point to something to show me you aren't full of shit.

Go for it. Go.

j2k4
09-16-2009, 12:33 PM
I don't defend Wilson, but given this "racist" charge, I think we can easily say that the left, as constituted here on the board and elsewhere, subscribes to the following-

Barack Obama and his policies are inherently beyond reproach, and so it follows any criticism levelled at him is racist in origin.

Just think - until now, it was commonly accepted (even in our scrupulously non-secular culture) that perfection was unattainable.

We have before us an apparent refutation of that old chestnut.

clocker
09-16-2009, 12:50 PM
I don't defend Wilson, but given this "racist" charge, I think we can easily say that the left, as constituted here on the board and elsewhere, subscribes to the following-

Barack Obama and his policies are inherently beyond reproach, and so it follows any criticism levelled at him is racist in origin.

Just because you "can easily say" it doesn't mean it's true.
Obama is not beyond reproach, it's simply that you have used lies and misdirection instead of fact to do so.
What you call "criticism" has been nothing less than a tsunami of bullshit, specifically designed to hinder the administration's attempt to implement policies that the majority of Americans voted for and still want.

devilsadvocate
09-16-2009, 12:51 PM

How can you not remember the censure vote if you can remember the incident itself?

Boehner introduced a censure resolution. It didn't pass. Pelosi wasn't happy that it didn't pass and made it very clear. Stark actually did apologize.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,304304,00.html

Note the difference between the two motions. The dems. just had a motion of disapproval, the lowest "punishment", while the reps. wanted censure, just one short of expulsion.

j2k4
09-16-2009, 10:53 PM

Just because you "can easily say" it doesn't mean it's true.
Obama is not beyond reproach, it's simply that you have used lies and misdirection instead of fact to do so.
What you call "criticism" has been nothing less than a tsunami of bullshit, specifically designed to hinder the administration's attempt to implement policies that the majority of Americans voted for and still want.

So, "I don't like what Obama has to say about health-care reform; I think his ideas will have a negative effect and will be of no help in accomplishing his stated goal" is disallowed, huh?

Especially because I'm not part of your majority?

If you feel I am misunderstanding something here, please enlighten me.

clocker
09-16-2009, 11:43 PM
So, "I don't like what Obama has to say about health-care reform; I think his ideas will have a negative effect and will be of no help in accomplishing his stated goal" is disallowed, huh?

That's actually the first time you've personally said anything about the health plan and no, that's not disallowed.
Prior to that statement you've allowed the wingnut right- "death panel" believers and those convinced that the little brown people will somehow get better treatment than they- to lead the conversation.

So Kev, what specifically are your concerns?
Are you so happy with your personal health insurance options that you don't think anything could be better?
Do you believe that the for-profit, corporate insurance industry is acting in your best interests?

I'll take it as a given that anything government mandated is an anathema to you although I find it amusing that even the most ardent opposers of the "government take over" of health care are BIG fans of TRICARE...even Joe Wilson, who stated "TRICARE provides world class health care".
The contortions that he and his ilk have to perform so as not to offend their military constituents- and not insignificantly, wrap themselves in the American flag as "patriots"- while railing against similar options for everybody else are truly worthy of Cirque de Soliel.

And I have to see any of the naysayers in Congress resign from the health plan they are offered- or, to be more accurate, have granted themselves- and subject themselves to the tender mercies of Cigna or Wellpoint.

So, go ahead.
Elucidate...

Busyman
09-20-2009, 08:08 AM

Just think - until now, it was commonly accepted (even in our scrupulously non-secular culture) that perfection was unattainable.

You don't rebuke Wilson either. Neither has the Republican party.

Hasn't Wilson raised a ton o' money for his outburst.

j2k4
09-23-2009, 07:34 PM

You don't rebuke Wilson either. Neither has the Republican party.

Hasn't Wilson raised a ton o' money for his outburst.

I am not in a position to "rebuke" Wilson; I do believe he should have held his tongue, however, and I agree that he should have apologized, which he did.

Do you want reparations, ffs.

BTW-

I have decided, having listened to B.O.'s U.N. speech, that he no longer warrants my reference to him as B.O.

Henceforth he is SHIT-HEAD; this appellation to be capitalized and emboldened out of respect for his office, you see.

I suppose now I my ISP will be bullied into complicity over my interweb access...'goodbyes' may shortly be in order.

j2k4
09-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Uh-oh.

Wilson's in some bad company...

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba — Terrorist mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed calls the Sept. 11 attack a "noble victory" and President Barack Obama a liar in a letter released by the military's war crimes court Tuesday...

Read the rest here, if you like:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,554121,00.html?test=latestnews

clocker
09-24-2009, 12:05 AM
I have decided, having listened to B.O.'s U.N. speech, that he no longer warrants my reference to him as B.O.
Henceforth he is SHIT-HEAD; this appellation to be capitalized and emboldened out of respect for his office, you see.

Oh boy.
What misreading- or taking out of context- has your panties in a wad now?

j2k4
09-24-2009, 01:47 AM
Oh, you didn't watch, then.

You missed some serious self-congratulatory oration.

He more-or-less admitted to being the savior - of the World.

Sooner or later, his head might grow to match his ears, and he will be presentable.

He'd better hurry, though; the mid-terms loom...

Rart
09-24-2009, 01:53 AM
When it comes to Fox News Channel, conservatives don't feel the need to "work the ref." The ref is already on their side. Since its 1996 launch, Fox has become a central hub of the conservative movement's well-oiled media machine. Together with the GOP organization and its satellite think tanks and advocacy groups, this network of fiercely partisan outlets--such as the Washington Times, the Wall Street Journal editorial page and conservative talk-radio shows like Rush Limbaugh's--forms a highly effective right-wing echo chamber where GOP-friendly news stories can be promoted, repeated and amplified. Fox knows how to play this game better than anyone.
:mellow:

j2k4
09-24-2009, 02:10 AM
When it comes to Fox News Channel, conservatives don't feel the need to "work the ref." The ref is already on their side. Since its 1996 launch, Fox has become a central hub of the conservative movement's well-oiled media machine. Together with the GOP organization and its satellite think tanks and advocacy groups, this network of fiercely partisan outlets--such as the Washington Times, the Wall Street Journal editorial page and conservative talk-radio shows like Rush Limbaugh's--forms a highly effective right-wing echo chamber where GOP-friendly news stories can be promoted, repeated and amplified. Fox knows how to play this game better than anyone.
:mellow:

Congratulations on picking a quote that essentially delineates the complete parameters of the "conservative movement's well-oiled machine".

They don't match up too well when weighed against CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, PBS, NPR, the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Boston Globe, the Los Angeles Times, the Atlanta Journal and Constitution, the Detroit Free Press, USA Today, Time, Newsweek, etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum.

While none of these could be considered "well-oiled", they are replete with a liberal supply of grease.

clocker
09-24-2009, 02:14 AM
Oh, are we trotting out the old "liberal media bias" trope again?

If you think it's unacceptable for liberals to display bias, why is it OK for conservatives?
Bias that slants your way is fine?

j2k4
09-24-2009, 02:49 PM
I would prefer that which we do not and cannot have, apparently...balanced media.

As it is, we have what we have, as outlined above.

The conservative view is not presented anywhere in the media I describe.

Period.