PDA

View Full Version : Instant Translator

sharedholder
10-07-2003, 04:13 PM
Instant translator

Scientists claim to have invented an instant translator which will allow people talking on phones in different languages to understand each other.

A research team from Rousse in Bulgaria claim to have patented the technology which converts words spoken in one language into digital code which can then be immediately interpreted into another language.

The translator chip can be inserted into any phone, the scientists claim.

Project leader Koycho Mitev told BTV national television: "A person can talk freely on the phone in their mother tongue and at the other end of the world people will hear the translation of what they say."

The Bulgarian team says it has also worked out a computer program that translates texts.

Mitev said that if investors show an interest in the technology, practical application can begin within a year.

SOURCE (http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_826296.html?menu=news.scienceanddiscovery)

j2k4
10-07-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by sharedholder@7 October 2003 - 11:13
Instant translator

Scientists claim to have invented an instant translator which will allow people talking on phones in different languages to understand each other.

A research team from Rousse in Bulgaria claim to have patented the technology which converts words spoken in one language into digital code which can then be immediately interpreted into another language.

The translator chip can be inserted into any phone, the scientists claim.

Project leader Koycho Mitev told BTV national television: "A person can talk freely on the phone in their mother tongue and at the other end of the world people will hear the translation of what they say."

The Bulgarian team says it has also worked out a computer program that translates texts.

Mitev said that if investors show an interest in the technology, practical application can begin within a year.

SOURCE (http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_826296.html?menu=news.scienceanddiscovery)
More great news that won't help one bit.

Could aid the cause of communicating how much some of us are detested-clear the air a bit, eh?

james_bond_rulez
10-07-2003, 06:06 PM
have you ever heard of the "universal translator" in star trek?

works awsome :D

Snee
10-07-2003, 06:41 PM
This will take decades to develop, if they can fix it at all.

Just look at the type of machine translations that are available today, and those have been under development since the eighties at least.

The best possible translation (which is economically feasible) device today is a translation memory, and those need a translator to operate them, suck the life out of language, and require large databases to even handle simple translations.

It sure would be awesome if it worked though.

Edit: spellcheck

j2k4
10-07-2003, 07:01 PM
Will each version incorporate a "tact/diplomacy" mode?

If not, international relations could be in BIG trouble:

A: I'd like to order 16 dog-floggers in extra-large, please?

B: Your Mother f**ks frozen carp? I'm afraid I don't understa......

A: EXCUSE ME?!!??? MY MOTHER IS A SAINT!! I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW.....!!

B: When will you require these sluts to be delivered? Extra, extra, extra large size?

I don't think it will work. :(

MagicNakor
10-08-2003, 01:47 AM
Not to mention different dialects and slang. Unless it's going to account for that, I don't think it'll work too well. ;)

I'll just take the Babelfish. I hear it's only uncomfortable for a moment.

:ninja:

j2k4
10-08-2003, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@7 October 2003 - 20:47
Not to mention different dialects and slang. Unless it's going to account for that, I don't think it'll work too well. ;)

I'll just take the Babelfish. I hear it's only uncomfortable for a moment.

I understood you MN, but you're Canadian, and we weren't using the "translater". ;)

clocker
10-08-2003, 05:23 AM
Sometimes I think that this board would benefit from a English to English translator program...

MagicNakor
10-08-2003, 05:50 AM
I'm speaking the Queen's English j2. ;) Perhaps I ought to use more y'alls and howdys. :D

Edit: Or a 12-year-old-AOL-speak --> English. I think that would be most beneficial.

j2k4
10-08-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@8 October 2003 - 00:50
Edit: Or a 12-year-old-AOL-speak --> English. I think that would be most beneficial.

OH, GOD, NOOOOOOOOO!!!

Ahem.

Yes, MN-Queen's English it is, and shall remain.

Let us not put our usage of it asunder. ;)