PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu and utorrent

onester
10-25-2009, 06:38 PM
been following the guides to install utorrent it installs but never pops up and when i make a launcher for it it just keeps going back to the setup line to install any ideas?

waeldiab
10-25-2009, 06:54 PM
go through terminal and write this

sudo apt-get install wine ' and press enter '

wget http://download.utorrent.com/1.8.2/utorrent.exe ' and press enter '

wine utorrent.exe ' and press enter '

sudo apt-get install proftpd ' and press enter '

sudo /etc/init.d/proftpd stop ' and press enter '

sudo /etc/init.d/proftpd start ' and press enter '

now utorrent and ftp working

onester
10-25-2009, 07:13 PM
even doing it that away get an error that utorrent is already running but not responding so to close all utorrent open applications before it loaded the gui

waeldiab
10-25-2009, 07:17 PM
try to remove u torrent and do it again

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii38/WAELDIAB_2007/untitled-1.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii38/WAELDIAB_2007/2-2.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii38/WAELDIAB_2007/3.jpg

and write this

sudo apt-get install wine ' and press enter '

wget http://download.utorrent.com/1.8.2/utorrent.exe ' and press enter '

wine utorrent.exe ' and press enter '

sudo apt-get install proftpd ' and press enter '

sudo /etc/init.d/proftpd stop ' and press enter '

sudo /etc/init.d/proftpd start ' and press enter '

ovisan
10-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Deluge

Funkin'
10-26-2009, 11:29 AM
^ Definitely. I wouldn't mess around with Wine and Windows clients too much unless you have to.

Try a native client. And in my opinion Deluge is the best native client. KTorrent is also pretty good. So is Transmission, but the gui is lacking.

iLOVENZB
10-26-2009, 01:07 PM
^ Definitely. I wouldn't mess around with Wine and Windows clients too much unless you have to.

Try a native client. And in my opinion Deluge is the best native client. KTorrent is also pretty good. So is Transmission, but the gui is lacking.

I loved it :P

Also try rtorrent ;)

utorrent ran just as good as it did on windows.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=6824

Rilly
10-26-2009, 03:52 PM
I had a similar issue - it ended up that my users folder within .wine never got created for some reason. I had another user id working already on the system though, so I just copied the /home/.wine/users folder underneath the other user ids /home/.wine folder

Speedo
10-26-2009, 08:04 PM
After installing wine in terminal all you have to do is download utorrent from their website and wine will automatically install the exe file.

Deluge used to have limited options but the newer versions have much the same options that utorrent have. I can't find a thing I miss from utorrent in deluge.

iLOVENZB
10-27-2009, 05:29 AM
After installing wine in terminal all you have to do is download utorrent from their website and wine will automatically install the exe file.

Deluge used to have limited options but the newer versions have much the same options that utorrent have. I can't find a thing I miss from utorrent in deluge.

Thats what you're went to do with WINE :P.

Check the db to find out if an app has compatibility issues.

Funkin'
10-27-2009, 07:29 AM
Also try rtorrent ;)

I keep meaning to try it out. It's pretty popular, so it must be halfway descent. It just looks kind of confusing to install and set up. After over a year using Linux, I'm still a noob with the command line.

Speedo
10-28-2009, 06:25 PM

Smartass :)

Also try rtorrent ;)

I keep meaning to try it out. It's pretty popular, so it must be halfway descent. It just looks kind of confusing to install and set up. After over a year using Linux, I'm still a noob with the command line.

I guess you must have read about compiling from scratch, but no one does that any more. I don't know what distro you have but installing rtorrent in terminal is easy.
Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install rtorrent
Mandriva: get root with "su" and enter password
then "urpmi rtorrent"

iLOVENZB
10-29-2009, 01:58 AM

Smartass :)

Also try rtorrent ;)

I guess you must have read about compiling from scratch, but no one does that any more. I don't know what distro you have but installing rtorrent in terminal is easy.
Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install rtorrent
Mandriva: get root with "su" and enter password
then "urpmi rtorrent"

I know how to install it, I was being sarcastic in suggesting it. The OP appears to prefer GUI over CLI.

Unstable1
10-29-2009, 02:13 AM

Sorry to criticise, but that is very poor advice. uTorrent works PERFECTLY under Wine on Ubuntu. I've been using it for years without a single problem.

Speedo
10-29-2009, 05:26 AM
Yes,some programs work under WINE but there is no real need for them to.
Deluge has been an utorrent alternative for a while now, a long with many other clients.

iLOVENZB
10-29-2009, 07:44 AM
Also try rtorrent ;)

Sorry I missed your post.

CLI is a pain in the ass when you miss characters :P

Here are some articles you should look into:

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/05/02/howto-use-rtorrent-like-a-pro/
http://ditoinfo.wordpress.com/2007/06/05/howto-use-rtorrent-to-download-torrents/

I haven't touched torrents in a while so I'm a little rusty. If you're on private trackers ask in the forums or IRC channel (that's how I learnt).

Funkin'
10-29-2009, 01:39 PM
Sorry to criticise, but that is very poor advice. uTorrent works PERFECTLY under Wine on Ubuntu. I've been using it for years without a single problem.

Sorry to criticize your criticism, but just because one Windows app works descently on Linux under Wine doesn't mean that all do. Tons of apps under Wine have some type of problem.

And there's always a Linux alternative for whatever Windows app you're wanting to use.

So why exactly would suggesting to use native Linux applications on Linux be poor advice?

Anyways, thanks for that Speedo. I thought compiling was still the only way to get rtorrent working(admittedly it's been a while since I've looked into it). And thank you ILOVENZB for the articles and advice.

Unstable1
11-01-2009, 08:32 AM

Sorry to criticize your criticism, but just because one Windows app works descently on Linux under Wine doesn't mean that all do. Tons of apps under Wine have some type of problem.

Rubbish

You said:

That is what you said, and it's bollocks. There is no reason in the world not to use utorrent under wine. It works faultlessly. Fuck deluge, the topic of the thread is utorrent, not deluge. If someone wants to use utorrent in wine because they like that client, there is no reason why they should not. None. End of.

So stop telling people it's a bad idea, because you're talking crap.

Funkin'
11-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Where did I say it was a bad idea to use uTorrent? Now who's talking "rubbish"..."mate". Since he was having trouble with Utorrent under Linux, all that I told him was that there was no reason to use it as there's a native client that is just as good or better than uTorrent.

I don't know if you're one of those lame uTorrent fanboys and thought I was talking shit about your client, but I wasn't. Just offering some advice.

Now was that any reason to act like a bitch over? Didn't think so. None. End of.

iLOVENZB
11-02-2009, 09:47 AM
This is the trouble with new Linux users. They're trying to make apps run as they used to on Windows.

Deluge is becoming a nice app, very similar to utorrent. So it's not daunting for new users.

Unstable1
11-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Where did I say it was a bad idea to use uTorrent? Now who's talking "rubbish"..."mate". Since he was having trouble with Utorrent under Linux, all that I told him was that there was no reason to use it as there's a native client that is just as good or better than uTorrent.

I don't know if you're one of those lame uTorrent fanboys and thought I was talking shit about your client, but I wasn't. Just offering some advice.

Now was that any reason to act like a bitch over? Didn't think so. None. End of.

I apologise for my aggressive wording. I was in a foul mood when I made that last post. But still, the point I was making remains. Suggesting that one shouldn't use utorrent with wine is poor advice imo.

There was no need for the tone I took with you, please forgive me, I was having a bad day.

Speedo
11-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Fuck it! This is the internet. You say what you need to say :)

kallieb
11-05-2009, 02:34 PM
If I may add a respectful disagreement. I run dual o/s on my lappy through a partitioned drive - Ubuntu 8.10 and Windows xp. It's a great way approach as I do agree that not all windows apps work well through Wine. Depending upon what I am doing at a particular time, I'll just boot in/out of one o/s to another.

I do have to say that Windows avi burning/converting apps are more plentiful, and work far better, than the variety of ones I tried in Linux. I have encountered many times an avi that will not convert/burn in a Linux app only to have 100% success when I try it in some of my Windows apps; but that's a minor issue. The benefits of Linux far outweight Windows only within my personal opionion. Others will differ but that is not the point of this thread.

I do want to comment briefly though on Deluge. I tried using Deluge for a bit, but reverted back to uTorrent/wine. I'm not particularly satisfied as I find uTorrent affords far more information and ability to tinker with upload/download speeds/settings, bandwidth management, peer data and user preferences. Deluge works - if what you want is a basic torrent client, but since I require more user flexibility, I go back to uTorrent.

my two cents anyway....

Funkin'
11-05-2009, 02:49 PM
I apologise for my aggressive wording. I was in a foul mood when I made that last post. But still, the point I was making remains. Suggesting that one shouldn't use utorrent with wine is poor advice imo.

There was no need for the tone I took with you, please forgive me, I was having a bad day.

Not a problem at all. I respect you for apologizing. I also apologize for my insult. We'll just agree to disagree, there's nothing wrong with that.

And kallieb, yes, Deluge wasn't much back in it's earlier versions. It was lacking just about as many features as Transmission still lacks. But the latest versions have a ton of options(I'm using 1.1.6, and that's not even the latest stable). As far as I can see there's not much difference between uTorrent(back when I used it in the 1.7 versions) and Deluge.

By the way, I'm only telling you that for your info. I certainly do not care what client anyone uses...

Also, @ Ilovenzb, I actually installed rtorrent the other day, and just could not figure out how to work it. I've read that it's one of the best clients out there because of how lightweight it is(among other things) since it runs from Terminal. But I'm still pretty much a command line noob, and the tutorials I found gave me no extra help either. Too bad as I was kind of excited to try it.

kallieb
11-05-2009, 07:27 PM
@ Funkin' - hmmm...I didn't realize the update of Deluge was that good. I'll have to give it a second go.

Speaking of trying apps, I would be intrigued to give rTorrent a try. I'm always on the lookout for new apps. I'll join in with Funkin' and ask for a link to a good tut, or description here, on that particular app. Thanks in advance.