PDA

View Full Version : BitTorrent Has Cancer...

brotherdoobie
10-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Something similar will replace it, eventually. I'll use whatever that may be.

Relax, fanboys, there will always be a pecking order to know who's cool, like.

-doobs :dabs:

ca_aok
10-28-2009, 07:56 PM
You can present the material, but you can't make me care.

TrollinThunder
10-28-2009, 08:01 PM
What specifically do you view as a cancer?

The_Martinator
10-28-2009, 08:16 PM

I kinda knew that, so what's your point? Trying to taunt regulars in the BT section?

I say enjoy it while it lasts. :D

brotherdoobie
10-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Invite trading. There's a host of other reasons, but I can't be bothered. Invite trading is the tumor (the rest are just symptoms of the root disease).

-doobs

KushBlow
10-28-2009, 08:30 PM
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/SaWebs/cocainehellweb.jpg

TrollinThunder
10-28-2009, 08:47 PM
Blaming whatever problems you see on invite trading. How profound.

But your argument misses a step. Invites would not be traded if they had no value. If sites were more open, it would greatly reduce the value of invites.

Edit: I think seedboxes are the worst thing that ever happened to bt. And I've drifted towards usenet (back and forth really) and wish I could just walk away from bt but seeding is such a joy.

kukushka
10-28-2009, 09:12 PM
there's nothing wrong with seedboxes. the wrong thing - is how most trackers don't react well to their existance or react the strange way. the stimulation system usually works the wrong way. the big problem of bt is it's easy to being hit. one server, couple of guys and the tracker is gone. and all the uploaders work lost. i can see it as a big problem that it requires a lot of work to make a description for a torrent and this information is located separately from torrent contents and can be easily lost. generally sharing process should be as easy as at DC. the real deal will begin when sharing won't be linked to a protocol and p2p will be backed with server uploads, like with encrypted files at MU, newsgroups, whatever. even p2p should migrate to the point where locally will be stored random encrypted data without any complete releases and it will be spreaded around the future networks according to speeds, storage capacity etc. of each member with backups etc.. i remember fidonet times - it was a real hydra. from what i don't see from the side, scene operates the same way.. so there are ways of evolution, but as long as there's not enough pressure from authorities, this evolution won't happend.

btw oh hey whatman, nice interview, hb what.cd :)

Rart
10-28-2009, 11:31 PM
I think BT is far from being replaced. It is far too readily available and user friendly to be ousted by the likes of usenet. Usenet has a long ways to go in terms of interface before the public embraces it.

Sonnentier
10-29-2009, 12:23 AM
Rart, just look at UseNeXT and all similar marketing programs, they make it easy for everyone in return for money.

I say enjoy it while it lasts.
It has cancer, this defect will mean no sudden death; slowly wasting away describes it better.

TP635
10-29-2009, 01:43 AM
Death would be from external source: the Law

Unstable1
10-29-2009, 02:44 AM
The OP has cancer.

brotherdoobie
10-29-2009, 06:12 AM
I think BT is far from being replaced. It is far too readily available and user friendly to be ousted by the likes of usenet. Usenet has a long ways to go in terms of interface before the public embraces it.

Interface my ass. Bittorrent is free for the average user. Usenet is not.
That's most of it.

The OP has cancer.

The bad aids, actually. It was all a tragic accident; involving turkey basters, a slightly used pickle, male pregnancy, and an insatiable English lad; a natural born pervert.

-doobs

Zaxx
10-29-2009, 08:28 AM
That's most of it.

The OP has cancer.

The bad aids, actually. It was all a tragic accident; involving turkey basters, a slightly used pickle, male pregnancy, and an insatiable English lad; a natural born pervert.

-doobs

:happy: - :) - :D - :lol: - :w00t: - http://tinyurl.com/yf2typr http://tinyurl.com/ygmtrfm - http://tinyurl.com/ylztws3

Thx doobs...I needed that. Here's to ya!

http://tinyurl.com/yg59z3g

Totti
10-29-2009, 08:35 AM

Well that's pretty obvious look at the previous popular d/l methods

-warez sites
-napster
-kazza
-dc++ (although i have recently understood this is still pretty popular)
-torrent/rapidshare

it's the way piracy works once the RIAA cracks down on one method a new method pops up to compensate for it

The only methods that have managed to survive for a long period of time are
-Mirc
-Ftp/ topsites, dumps (and they change the specific ftp very frequently )

brotherdoobie
10-29-2009, 09:00 AM
I know how piracy works, lad. FFS, I've been doing this for a bit.

You?

Totti
10-29-2009, 09:07 AM
I know how piracy works, lad. FFS, I've been doing this for a bit.

You?

i know you have m8 was pointing it out too other people me hmmmm since 1999 i guess so that would be 10 years by now :O god that's a long time! never thought about it...

you?

Rart
10-29-2009, 09:55 AM
That's most of it.

Yes, thats what I really meant by "readily available", but I avoided the term "free" as there are free servers you can use (and IPv6)

sez
10-29-2009, 11:43 AM
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/10/p2p-dying/
but bt remains king of p2p traffic.

TrollinThunder
10-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Even though that study is utterly flawed, it's a given that bt is the dominant form of p2p at the moment. That's really at the core of the OP's point.

As for usenet not being popular. I really, really don't understand how people spend money on seedboxes but won't spend ten bucks a month to leech all they can. It's all about epenis.

The problem with seedboxes is it fundamentally changes the way users use sites and the way people share. And I think it does so in a way that undermines some of the joy of bittorrent. Sure, not everybody is affected by them, but enough people strive to be at the top of the peer list that the scene has changed in principle.

Wwwildthing
10-29-2009, 05:47 PM
BitTorrent is free for the average user. Usenet is not.

The average seedbox runs $40 a month.
An unlimited Usenet account is half that, or less.

The 'cancer' is not invites, its the source of them... private trackers.
Usenet Access is a 'business' because of the way it is structured. No-one could move 5 terabyte of data, every day, and offer a year of retention, without incurring expenses.

Your right in that bittorrent was 'suspose' to be free... but someone found a way to make a buck, and the drama began.

Totti
10-29-2009, 06:09 PM
BitTorrent is free for the average user. Usenet is not.The average seedbox runs $40 a month.
An unlimited Usenet account is half that, or less.

The 'cancer' is not invites, its the source of them... private trackers.
Usenet Access is a 'business' because of the way it is structured. No-one could move 5 terabyte of data, every day, and offer a year of retention, without incurring expenses.

Your right in that bittorrent was 'suspose' to be free... but someone found a way to make a buck, and the drama began.

i have not spent money on bittorent and am not planning to spend money on it. I think that who ever pays money for a seedbox is a damn fool just seed the torrent back no need to have 200 gb buffers 1.1 ratio is more then enough to keep d/l what you want

FunkyMonk
10-29-2009, 06:11 PM
edit: I think seedboxes are the worst thing that ever happened to bt.

amen!!

Bad-Day
10-29-2009, 06:18 PM
edit: I think seedboxes are the worst thing that ever happened to bt.

amen!!

:happy: unless they´re free
:happy:

Tokeman
10-29-2009, 06:32 PM
Seedboxes are great, for uploaders, and people with <50kb/s upload.
Otherwise, people just waste money on them, but hey, that just makes it easier for me to max my downstream, how nice of them.

BT is not going anywhere anytime soon. Theres far too many sites to take down for it to happen soon. What it really comes down to is the net neutrality case. If they can block/slow BT traffic on all isp's, then BT will die. If not, it will continue on, at least privatly.

stl
10-29-2009, 09:08 PM
u have to be an idiot finding connections between bt protocol and invite trading/selling

brotherdoobie
10-30-2009, 01:10 AM
u have to be an idiot finding connections between bt protocol and invite trading/selling

What are you going on about? Who's comparing protocol and invite trading, ffs?

-bd :ermm: