PDA

View Full Version : Turn on encryption!

Polarbear
10-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Just a reminder that everyone should turn on encryption in their bittorrent clients.

There are still way too many peers who don't use this simple security/privacy feature.

You also miss encrypted connections without fallback option which will result in slower speeds for you.

If you don't know how to turn it on in your client, please ask.

awaited
10-30-2009, 12:32 PM
thanks for the heads up, but already done.

The_Martinator
10-30-2009, 12:43 PM
In utotrrent I have it on forced. Or is enabled enough?

kukushka
10-30-2009, 12:54 PM
i think it's better to ask firon to add this as default setting in utorrent. it will have a much more serious effect i think :)

nethawk
10-30-2009, 05:24 PM
My settings on uTorrent are:

Outgoing: Enabled
Allow incoming legacy connections: Checked

Is this alright?

Funkin'
10-30-2009, 05:55 PM
For Deluge you would Enable both for Inbound and Outbound? That's how I've always had it, just wondering if it's right.

hagckz0r
10-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Who helps me with turning on encryption on Vuze and Utorrent? :D

ca_aok
10-30-2009, 06:20 PM
uTorrent: If you want to only allow encrypted connections you select "Forced" and uncheck "Allow Legacy Connections". If you simply want to enable it, select "Enabled" and keep "Allow Legacy Connections" checked.

hagckz0r
10-30-2009, 07:01 PM
@ca_aok goldy post, checked my settings for utorrent and they were as you said in the second part of your post. thanks a bunch! :D

Now the settings for vuze? :-s

Rigel9
10-31-2009, 12:35 AM
My settings in Vuze:

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/8431/bildschirmfoto20091031u.png
Pretty self explanatory I think.

Rart
10-31-2009, 12:50 AM
Could anyone explain to me exactly what this does?

Is it in some way similar to https, masking your traffic? Is it able to mask your IP? How does this differ from simply non encrypted BT?

redMonster
10-31-2009, 02:20 AM
Is it able to mask your IP?That is never possible in any Bittorrent activity. Your IP always shows to the peers you connect to.

Rart
10-31-2009, 02:46 AM
That's pretty much what I figured. But if not that, what kind of "encryption" is used here? Is it similar to having an https tracker? That masks your activity from your ISP only?

pro267
10-31-2009, 02:52 AM

Is it in some way similar to https, masking your traffic? Is it able to mask your IP? How does this differ from simply non encrypted BT?
There are two types of connections: client to tracker connections, and client to client (p2p) connections. Both may (some say should) be encrypted.

Client to tracker connections may be encrypted using SSL encryption (https protocol), if your tracker supports that. Client to client connections may be encrypted by stream ciphers, such as RC4.

Encrypting these connections won't hide your IP address; after all, you and your peer must know the "location" (IP address) of the other party in order to be able to direct information to each other. Encryption will ensure any party along the way between you and your peer won't be able to peak into your connections and see what's going on inside. Your ISP, for instance, won't be able to know you've downloaded a .torrent file. Basically, any sort of analyzer along the way won't know what's really inside the connection you've been using. In addition, for encrypted client to tracker connections, you'll be able to authenticate that you're actually "talking" to the right tracker, and not some fake site (phishing in BT, it's plausible :lol:).

Encryption in P2P is an extra measure of obtaining a bit more privacy and authenticity. It won't stop someone harvesting for IP addresses from connecting to a swarm and from there directly to the peers on it.

HTH.

Rart
10-31-2009, 03:15 AM

There are two types of connections: client to tracker connections, and client to client (p2p) connections. Both may (some say should) be encrypted.

Client to tracker connections may be encrypted using SSL encryption (https protocol), if your tracker supports that. Client to client connections may be encrypted by stream ciphers, such as RC4.

Encrypting these connections won't hide your IP address; after all, you and your peer must know the "location" (IP address) of the other party in order to be able to direct information to each other. Encryption will ensure any party along the way between you and your peer won't be able to peak into your connections and see what's going on inside. Your ISP, for instance, won't be able to know you've downloaded a .torrent file. Basically, any sort of analyzer along the way won't know what's really inside the connection you've been using. In addition, for encrypted client to tracker connections, you'll be able to authenticate that you're actually "talking" to the right tracker, and not some fake site (phishing in BT, it's plausible :lol:).

Encryption in P2P is an extra measure of obtaining a bit more privacy and authenticity. It won't stop someone harvesting for IP addresses from connecting to a swarm and from there directly to the peers on it.

HTH.

Very informative! Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question.

Off topic: Whats up with your sig?

pro267
10-31-2009, 03:53 AM
Off topic: Whats up with your sig?
Actually, it is somewhat connected to the subject of this thread :whistling

brightsid
10-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Anyone can explain what exactly is that "cryptoport tracker extension" option in Vuze?

BigPimpin
10-31-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks. my dl speed did improve a lot. I had no clue about this....:blink::D

Totti
10-31-2009, 08:48 PM
How can I do this on transsmision?

sake
10-31-2009, 09:25 PM
I knew that when the line is encrypted the internet speed is much slower.

sake
10-31-2009, 09:25 PM
I knew that when the line is encrypted the internet speed is much slower.

sake
10-31-2009, 09:29 PM
slower speeds for you.

Strange. I`ve heard just the opposite :ermm:

Night0wl
10-31-2009, 09:59 PM
Unless I'm highly mistaken, Vuze uses encryption by default i.e. first message from your client to a new peer will always be encrypted, but if that fails, then it will try non-encrypted messages. And as for incoming it will accept both.

Which pretty much translates to optimum settings as you allow both encrypted and non-encrypted.

I'm not sure about uTorrents default.

Furball67
10-31-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks for this reminder. Lots of folks leave themselves unprotected :)

exth2o
11-01-2009, 04:57 AM
for utorrent, I think the best settings to get the best up and down speeds are enabled and allow legacy connections. This would allow your client to send both encrypted and plain data as well as received both.

To send and received only encrypted, the settings should be forced and uncheck allow legacy connections respectively. Speeds will suffer though because some clients won't send encrypted and you can only up to certain clients. Only reason to do this would be to try to bypass throttling.

I could be wrong.

ca_aok
11-01-2009, 05:06 AM
Just to clarify, this really doesn't protect you against anything (since everyone can still see your IP address). Additionally, deep packet inspection can still reason out that it's bittorrent traffic. The main reason to enable encryption is to circumvent throttling measures put into place from some ISPs. And since there's no detriment to you encrypting traffic, you may as well do so :)