PDA

View Full Version : Do you think once you join a "high lvl" site you become a better member?

Totti
10-31-2009, 10:55 PM
I was thinking to my self let's an average user who doesn't post that much on tracker forums and mostly only leeches off them gets invited to a high lvl tracker that puts a priority on community by a friend.
Now this person is exposed to a different kind of tracker and environment could he rub off the other users and start to be more active/ contribute more to the sites he is already a member of and hence improve the tracker, or will he just stay anonymous on the tracker he just joined and on his older trackers.....
This does depend on the individual but if someone does join a certain community he can definitely change for the better in my opinion.....

Furball67
10-31-2009, 11:04 PM
Good Question.:) Most folks seem to avoid close community contact and are just leechers. At any given site, about 3 percent of the membership is active on the boards and the rest just come to seed and leech. I honestly don't think that people change their stripes unless there is pressure put on them to do so. I am a social animal and have always taken part in the community aspects of the sites I join, including the forums, chats and any other interactive aspects the sites provide. The hard part about this is when the sites go down and you lose contact with folks all over the world that you have been friends with.

Totti
10-31-2009, 11:08 PM
The hard part about this is when the sites go down and you lose contact with folks all over the world that you have been friends with.

I'm sorry about what happened to your site was never part of it but I can see how good of a place it was by all the members that are popping up here recently trying to stay in touch with one another

beco
10-31-2009, 11:11 PM
Nice question totti ,
Never thought about this subject before ...but interesting perspective , lets see what the other think about this .

im sure that for some of us here that sound foolish my answer..
generally speaking I think .....yes .
why ?
Maybe because of that are closed communities ...and part of the firends there ,they are your personal friends , and some of that community you have personal relations with the staff ....Therefore you have larger commitment to the community ...your part of the " responsibility " .
My opinion .

ca_aok
10-31-2009, 11:27 PM
It really depends on the person. I doubt you'd change much, most people who become active in the communities of these sites are active elsewhere. However, there are a ton of people that just seed and leech on these sites too.

Fishy2
10-31-2009, 11:43 PM
It had an impact on me, OK it was limited but defo made me post a handful of times more than I would have otherwise. Does depend on content 2

Benjamin
10-31-2009, 11:47 PM
I used to only leech/seed until I started getting comments like "2 years on the site and 0 forum posts?" so I started to post here and there.

megabyteme
11-01-2009, 12:10 AM
I think environment will always play a strong role in people's lives. Many things that are true in the real world are also true online.

If someone is welcomed into a fair, trusting, and empowering environment they are more likely to want to take part. And ultimately enjoy being an active member.

However, there is also the other side. That is, some people are socially inept. There are places to learn how to "fit in" where people can practice what is acceptable, or taboo, without facing long-term rejection.

"High level" or "Elitez" or "Sites of desirability" are just like any other club. Some places thrive with exclusivity, while others do a great job with getting people started. It is (or should be) how individuals handle themselves in social situations that determines there acceptance.

I have had a couple of recent PMs requesting that I reopen a discussion similar to the last sentence above. I am still forming my thoughts, but plan to do so soon. Thanks for those requests. :)

TP635
11-01-2009, 01:12 AM
There are trackers I choose NOT to post and there are trackers that I may want to post in the forum. I don't feel pressured to post and I don't feel the pressure to conformed with the (tracker) community. I think this feeling of 'wanting to be somebody and rubbing shoulder with the top gun' is common among younger BT users.

sez
11-01-2009, 06:30 AM
Well people don't change<--jk :P.
But I guess it all depends on the level of discourse going on.Granted very few of us can contribute anything meaningful to a 'Do you give credence to the existence of an intelligent designer and why' thread as opposed to a 'would you hit that' thread.Same applies for the viceversa.

So I don't think its about being socially inept but rather the kind of forum activity one is exposed to.There is also the fact that english is not universal.

Otherwise if sites made us better forumers simply because they were harder to get into(what a fallacy) then surely sites like fsc would at least have more than 10% of the members being active in the forums as opposed to other site(sear posted this in another thread incase you are wondering).

megabyteme
11-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Well people don't change<--jk :P.
But I guess it all depends on the level of discourse going on.Granted very few of us can contribute anything meaningful to a 'Do you give credence to the existence of an intelligent designer and why' thread as opposed to a 'would you hit that' thread.Same applies for the viceversa.

So I don't think its about being socially inept but rather the kind of forum activity one is exposed to.There is also the fact that english is not universal.

Otherwise if sites made us better forumers simply because they were harder to get into(what a fallacy) then surely sites like fsc would at least have more than 10% of the members being active in the forums as opposed to other site(sear posted this in another thread incase you are wondering).

No, it isn't so much the difficulty getting in, but rather being able to live up to the standards of moderation. People who get in to FSC know that bullshit needs to be left for other forums. I might equate it to a classy pub where no one starts trouble or fights on the inside. I would then consider the others who come and don't participate in the forums as patrons who want a nice, non-confrontational place to "have a drink", watch a game, or listen to others talk about sports, movies, etc.

I did not mean to say that people who do not participate in forum discussions are socially inept.

As for topics influencing the quality of members, I disagree there too. I have met some top-quality people who were exceptional ass raters, who would "hit that teen", as well as those who could hold their own in philosophical discussions.

However, people who have nothing to add and are there to start trouble or controversies are not likely to be welcome back.

Albo Da Kid
11-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Change can happen if one joined a community with a lot of experienced members(and im not talking Bittorrent experience wise) . I for example have learned a few things or two from observing "wise" and intelligent members post.

Getting to know users who are wiser and have more life experience than you, has an effect on you. You start to pay attention to how they behave, what they say and how they say it, and you start to learn from them.

I've met intelligent and intellectual users who've influenced and left impressions on me.

Levels don't have anything to do change of behavior. Hdbits is a high level for example, and I wouldn't expect anyone to make any remarkable changes after joining it.

Fst was once upon a time the #1 community filled with such members. It was exciting being here when guys like artemis disme cabalo cine polarbear and others were online at the same time and ready to discuss about the bittorrent politics. No other hgh level tracker or community or w/e is ever going to be like that again.

I remember members often coming here and making requests on high level trackers for the sake of the community and would never believe it when they were told that Fst was the best community out there. Only if they knew lol

pretend
11-01-2009, 10:24 AM
The best communities are at the biggest and best trackers. I was amazed after visiting what.cd IRC for a bit (I rarely visit it), I spent few hours discussing everything with other members, instead of 5 minutes talking to mod only :) Same goes about their forums, same about KG forums. BitMeTV, BitMe, two lossless trackers - depends on your interest. They are really community-wise.

And I was quite distracted that, after joining one of those so-called community-based trackers, I saw the highest activity at shit-threads like 'what are you listening', 'rate that something' etc.

The_Martinator
11-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Some people change, some don't. Depends on every individual as everyone is unique in their own way.

But I would bet that most people that join a community oriented tracker like FSC, for example, are more active there than their ''average tracker forum activity level'' (I made that term up, but you can probably tell what I'm trying to say :D).

Bad-Day
11-01-2009, 02:12 PM
I didinīt had the money, for the pennis enlargement operation, thats why i joined so many pennis enlargement trackers.

megabyteme
11-01-2009, 02:54 PM
I didinīt had the money, for the pennis enlargement operation, thats why i joined so many pennis enlargement trackers.

Sorry it didn't work... :console:

Bad-Day
11-01-2009, 03:33 PM

But, last night you said, it was so big!! :O Liar!!!

pffm
11-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Yes, I believe so. When you are surrounded by better people and the environment is inviting you for being better of course you will be and do better.

I can speak from experience, from the moment I entered into a tracker in particular, I can honestly say that I became a more responsible and active member because the site in general made me that way. That said, I do not mean I was a bad member prior to that, I simply didn't tried so hard because I didn't saw the need.

megabyteme
11-01-2009, 03:46 PM

No. I said stop emailing me pics. Just because you use a high-res camera does not make it BIG. :noes:

pffm
11-01-2009, 03:52 PM
You see, bad-day is the type of guy who encourage you to spam others people threads. :)

megabyteme
11-01-2009, 04:00 PM
You see, bad-day is the type of guy who encourage you to spam others people threads. :)

I see what you mean. I am highly corruptible to such Bad-Influences. :(

Rart
11-01-2009, 04:01 PM

That's why his sig says "Closed". (with a <3 FST due to how unlikely that is to happen :-P)

BobFromAccounting
11-01-2009, 04:07 PM
I don't think getting into more "exclusive" trackers actually changes people, I feel that a lot of the time it just brings out what has been there all along. What I'm trying to say is people often find it a lot more difficult to "put themselves out there" when there are a lot more people involved. I think using a real life example might kinda help back up what I'm saying...

Let's say you're standing in two different crowds at two different points of time. Now lets say up in the front of the crowd there is a stage with a microphone in both cases, and it's an open mic, you, or anyone else can go up and say what they want to say. Now lets say the first crowd is the community from one of the behemoths like TorrentLeech, and the second crowd is the community from a much smaller, and closer tracker (You can fill in the blank on this one, there's multiple options). For arguments sake lets say the first crowd consists 75,000 people. Not all of them are paying attention, some of them are day dreaming or in their own little world, but up on the stage you're blindfolded, you have no idea who is paying attention and who isn't. Now lets say you're in the second crowd, and this one has 5,000 members. It's smaller, and you've most likely run into a number of the people that are in the crowd, you're still blindfolded but they're generally nice guys. To them, you're more than just another faceless number. Quite frankly I believe I can say with definite certainty that you'll be more likely to go up in front of the second crowd to say something than the first. It's something in human nature, kinda like stage fright. Not everyone has it, not everyone is deathly afraid of speaking their mind, but they would still feel more comfortable with a smaller number of people they have seen around and they know will be generally mature about things and not complete dicks.

People are always afraid of people judging them or forming a negative opinion about them, noone wants to feel unwelcome. Some bigger trackers have the "in" crowd, if you're part of this than you're generally not afraid of posting anything or putting yourself out there because you know they have your back, where on the opposite spectrum you're the new guy and you come to ask yourself the question "Is it really worth posting this at all? Do I want to take the chance that I'm going to get ridiculed, or should I just not go through the trouble and remain another faceless shadow?" Generally people will choose to remain another faceless shadow, nothing gained, nothing lost, except for opportunities that never would have presented themselves otherwise. And don't get me wrong, of course there's an "in" crowd pretty much everywhere, but they're generally more welcoming on smaller trackers from my experience anyways.

And of course there's just the people who have never glanced at the forum and have no idea what IRC is, they remain happy and content on browse.php and never seek anything else. These people exist everywhere, even on the most exclusive trackers out there that are said to have the best communities.

Totti
11-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Change can happen if one joined a community with a lot of experienced members(and im not talking Bittorrent experience wise) . I for example have learned a few things or two from observing "wise" and intelligent members post.

Getting to know users who are wiser and have more life experience than you, has an effect on you. You start to pay attention to how they behave, what they say and how they say it, and you start to learn from them.

I've met intelligent and intellectual users who've influenced and left impressions on me.

Levels don't have anything to do change of behavior. Hdbits is a high level for example, and I wouldn't expect anyone to make any remarkable changes after joining it.

Fst was once upon a time the #1 community filled with such members. It was exciting being here when guys like artemis disme cabalo cine polarbear and others were online at the same time and ready to discuss about the bittorrent politics. No other hgh level tracker or community or w/e is ever going to be like that again.

I remember members often coming here and making requests on high level trackers for the sake of the community and would never believe it when they were told that Fst was the best community out there. Only if they knew lol

I still think fst is a very good community i can always find interesting people to talk to here. Albo hdbits is not community oriented from what I understand and i'm asking about joining high lvl community based trackers.

Bad-Day
11-01-2009, 08:51 PM
im, sorry to spam, after such nice replies made by francesco totti ( go roma! ) and karid - aka karate kid.

Im always contorversial, and fun, no matter what.

Yes, I believe so. When you are surrounded by better people and the environment is inviting you for being better of course you will be and do better.

I can speak from experience, from the moment I entered into a tracker in particular, I can honestly say that I became a more responsible and active member because the site in general made me that way. That said, I do not mean I was a bad member prior to that, I simply didn't tried so hard because I didn't saw the need.

No, you just, sound like someone who started to kiss all the buts he could,,,

No. I said stop emailing me pics. Just because you use a high-res camera does not make it BIG. :noes:

I Wobe you!!! :)

This topic deserves it. Fl or Tb, or demonoid, deserve the same respect has sct. or whatever, maybe even more, since their older, ( if not mistaken ) older = older users, not the generall teens you seen on all those penins enlargement sites.

Uh, i returned from the dead, because its raining outside.

i liked also, the way that albo, mentioned cabalo, lol sporting ole ole! :D

pffm
11-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Ye I like to kiss buts... you too, I know it. :P

Bad-Day
11-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Ye I like to kiss buts... you too, I know it. :P

:DDDDDDDD hell yeah, and take their panties whit my theeths!!!! aaaahhh im so horny know, brb, gonna wake up her :lol:

Totti
11-02-2009, 10:19 AM
im, sorry to spam, after such nice replies made by francesco totti ( go roma! ) and karid - aka karate kid.

Im always contorversial, and fun, no matter what.

Bad Day are you also a As Roms Fan ?

apextwin146
11-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Define Activity and Contribution first ..
I consider myself failrly active on FST .. I am on some of those Community jing bang trackers like FSC n all yet i continue to post just on this forum .. you wudnt fund me posting or any other tracker even though i would be a member of it .
All it has to do with is Activity and Contribution .. I knw guys joining FSC promising activity only to end up spamming the boards with shit load of worthless posts .. Are they active? No .. You see the same threads(Lst movie,song ur listening,lesbo couple ) type of threads in every forum/tracker forum .. So how would you gauge an activity here .. I knw a lot of actually community folks who actually contribute to the tracker not take part in forums just because of the all the lame shit that surfaces continually .. Does that mean they arnt active?
Next time you get a brainwave and wanna ask some decent questions Quantify the measures first incase you actually want a serious answer ..