PDA

View Full Version : On another note...

j2k4
11-06-2009, 12:21 AM
...I hear Scotland has a program called the Cycling Action Plan for Scotland, or CAPS.

By 2010, CAPS intends to ensure that 10% of all journeys taken in that country will be by bicycle.

The Scotsman reports the government, under pressure to maintain public spending in the face of increasing national debt, will follow with a tax on bicyclists.

The Green Party and a group called "Spokes" are reportedly quite miffed.

Sounds like utter madness, but I could be wrong.

100%
11-06-2009, 02:06 AM
In Olso they have bikes stationed everywhere, it costs around 6$ a season to use them.
It works great.

Amsterdam tried it a few times, bikes got stolen or personified.

Copenhagen has it.

wait what? tax on bicyclists???

bigboab
11-06-2009, 09:38 AM
...I hear Scotland has a program called the Cycling Action Plan for Scotland, or CAPS.

By 2010, CAPS intends to ensure that 10% of all journeys taken in that country will be by bicycle.

The Scotsman reports the government, under pressure to maintain public spending in the face of increasing national debt, will follow with a tax on bicyclists.

Can I assume that you have never visited Scotland Kev? You can hardly go over half a mile without encountering an incline that would be too strenuous for the average cyclist.
Holland and Belgium it is not.:)

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/transport-environment/cyclists-put-the-brakes-on-bike-road-tax-1.919621

Anyway tax would puncture the inner tubes.:wacko:

j2k4
11-06-2009, 11:00 AM

Can I assume that you have never visited Scotland Kev? You can hardly go over half a mile without encountering an incline that would be too strenuous for the average cyclist.
Holland and Belgium it is not.:)

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/transport-environment/cyclists-put-the-brakes-on-bike-road-tax-1.919621

Anyway tax would puncture the inner tubes.:wacko:

I haven't been to Scotland, Bob, although I would love to.

Seriously.

As CAPS was described to me, it seemed that once it was in full swing, people who got about on foot might be castigated for avoiding the "tax".

Personally, being 'forced' onto a bike would indicate everything was downhill from there, so.