PDA

View Full Version : Can BTMusic ban you for uploading two of their torrents on What.cd?

mismaiome
11-11-2009, 07:29 PM
My account has suddenly been disabled, and that's the only thing I've done at all that could have caused it. I had a good ratio and all. Is there any way to find out what happened? When I try to connect to their IRC server, I'm asked for my site username and password, and when I put them in I'm told they're not valid. Please help.

pone44
11-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Try their IRC. Did you create a new torrent file with the what announce URL/passkey and not pedros??

james99
11-11-2009, 08:02 PM
do you have any contact info for the staff there or perhaps the site's irc channel (if there is one)?

i'd suggest finding out this info. im not a member there so i can't help you any further but i'm sure there are others at FST that can help.

good luck, i hope you resolve your problem.

Did you create a new torrent file?

great question! that could have been the problem...

Rart
11-11-2009, 08:08 PM
It really depends, some sites don't like releases being uploaded to other sites. The majority of sites are fine with it, as that *is* the spirit of "sharing" that is supposed to be evident in BT (unless it was was a pack uploaded specifically for the site). However , no matter what the site policy is - you should definitely make sure that you created a new torrent file. If you used the exact same torrent file you downloaded from Pedros, other people will be downloading through your passkey and its a definite ban.

kooltilldend
11-11-2009, 08:15 PM
well if you were naive enough to not create a new torrent file then I guess it can't be helped...but if they did indeed ban you for upping a torrent elsewhere then that's really silly and honestly is probably the very extremeness of dual-standards...pathetic really (but I dunno the actual cause so I will reserve my judgments on this site till then - more so, since I'm not a member there so cannot judge their actions as it is)

pone44
11-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Do they allow members to upload their files to another site? I know some sites will ban you for leaking internal rips.

The_Martinator
11-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Some uploaders explicitly say to not upload their stuff elsewhere, so...

AFAIK this isn't true for all torrents, but I'd still ask the uploader for permission before deciding to upload at What.

kukushka
11-11-2009, 11:26 PM
unless especially noted otherwise by an uploader, all pedro's uploads are denied from being shared elsewhere. op should have read rules. as for communication, it's [email protected] . or maybe fiamma is around, didn't check it....

That1Guy
11-12-2009, 12:25 AM
Does Pedros have a link you have to click that says the torrent is exclusive just to get to the download link like the other flac tracker? (been a while since i had an account there, but i think i remember it did).

If so, then there are pretty much no excuses...

And yes Im pretty sure a lot of their stuff is not allowed to be upped elsewhere (like others have said).

Night0wl
11-12-2009, 01:23 AM
unless especially noted otherwise by an uploader, all pedro's uploads are denied from being shared elsewhere. op should have read rules. as for communication, it's [email protected] . or maybe fiamma is around, didn't check it....

That's only partially true. If you get the uploader's permission, which on that site specific scenario would also be the ripper, no site rules deny you the right to upload it elsewhere. It is also the same for every other internal site. The only sites being really weird about uploading elsewhere, are sites with internal packs made from scene rips. That's hypocrisy for ya. Slap something together you already stole from the scene, which is already stolen from the studio/artist/whatever. Then slap an exclusive seal on it :lol:

Benjamin
11-12-2009, 01:24 AM
Pedros is all personal rips, really what did you expect?

That1Guy
11-12-2009, 02:44 AM
yeah just checked the site (seems my account was still active :P). The rule you broke is the big red one on their rules page.

mismaiome
11-12-2009, 03:51 AM
I created new torrent files, yes, with What.cd as the announce URL. And the IRC unfortunately doesn't work, as I noted in my post.

So I've sent an e-mail to [email protected] apologizing. I hope there's a chance they could reinstate my account. Is there?

kooltilldend
11-12-2009, 07:54 AM
^^ well you will found out soon enough lol

TheDog
11-12-2009, 08:08 AM
@OP: you broke one of the fundamental pedros's rule.. what to you expect, to receive flowers?

pretend
11-12-2009, 08:35 AM
I created new torrent files, yes, with What.cd as the announce URL. And the IRC unfortunately doesn't work, as I noted in my post.
IRC works only for active members, joining the server (not a channel) requires your actual username and password.

So I've sent an e-mail to [email protected] apologizing. I hope there's a chance they could reinstate my account. Is there?
Really you shouldn't bother anymore. It's very important rule and it's shame to be a member not knowing it. They won't reenable you. At least I seriously doubt.

kukushka
11-12-2009, 12:21 PM
unless especially noted otherwise by an uploader, all pedro's uploads are denied from being shared elsewhere.

That's only partially true.
so, where's the wrong part? in your inability to read?

WhatMan
11-12-2009, 04:33 PM
The announce URL in the torrent file doesn't matter - you can upload the same torrent file you downloaded from any other site, and What.CD's code will still completely disassemble the torrent file, stick in our announce URL (and make any other appropriate changes), and reassemble it again. This is done every time the torrent is downloaded, so that each user can have their passkey in the torrent file.

BTMusic banned you because of the content described in the torrent file, which they deem exclusive. And changing the torrent files on What.CD isn't going to solve that, unfortunately.

The announce URL in the torrent file doesn't matter - you can upload the same torrent file you downloaded from any other site, and What.CD's code will still completely disassemble the torrent file, stick in our announce URL (and make any other appropriate changes), and reassemble it again. This is done every time the torrent is downloaded, so that each user can have their passkey in the torrent file.

BTMusic banned you because of the content described in the torrent file, which they deem exclusive. And changing the torrent files on What.CD isn't going to solve that, unfortunately.

chiefosceola
11-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Can they? Well it looks not only can they but they did. Their tracker. Their rules. Remember trackers aren't a democracy

Night0wl
11-13-2009, 12:50 AM
That's only partially true.

No, yours. The uploader does not have to especially note shit. Just ask permission. Unless of course the uploader especially notes in description or his profile to not share his/her ups elsewhere. Then the odds are that he/she is also so weird, that you get reported for even asking.

The few times I've wanted to up something from there elsewhere, I've always PM'd the uploader and got permission. And by that I don't mean from people, who already noted in the description, that they have no problem with it being shared elsewhere.

kukushka
11-13-2009, 06:53 AM

No, yours. The uploader does not have to especially note shit.
"
Please include the following files in your torrent:An empty file, e.g. "Do not upload elsewhere.txt" or "Share!.txt", as you wish."

That1Guy
11-13-2009, 02:36 PM
The uploader does not have to put a text file saying do or do not upload. It makes it easier in the future for downloaders to see the stuff they can upload elsewhere, but it says "Do not upload our Uploaders' work to other trackers without their permission....." right on the rules page. So I dont know what the debate is about. It is pretty clear.