PDA

View Full Version : STN goes P2L

Rart
11-13-2009, 01:30 AM
STN was marketed as a new 0day tracker wherein the site was ratio free, and many of the users could, in exchange for bonus points or as a donor, directly request/download scene/DDL/p2p releases. New torrents were uploaded by the truckload, and the pretimes were fairly decent for such a new tracker (http://filenetworks.blogspot.com/2009/09/storethenet-ratio-free-scene-tracker.html). As of such, the hype generated around it was quite generous and it faired a lot better than most new 0day trackers that end up dying due to lack of activity.

At first the site seemed to have a lot of potential, with the only downside being that you needed to donate in order to get scene/ddl requests. No biggie, its just an added perk for donators. When STN began to advertise "lifetime accounts" where for a hefty price of 250 euros one could receive "unlimited requests" and become part of a "special userclass" that got to vote on new staff members, I began to worry. Why is this tracker going to such lengths to get donations?

Now I log in today, to see this posted on the front page:

The StN Egalitarian Ethos

Now although this has never been tried before, StN effective immediately is implementing an “Egalitarian Ethos” wherein each member can become an equal sponsor of StN. This is going to be implemented from the top down with no exceptions for the founder/s, staff to the regular user.

The plan is to offer a limited number of sponsorship slots with the potential for each member to adopt a single sponsorship. The more sponsors we have the cheaper it becomes for each sponsor!

The target we have in mind to start is 1700 sponsorships. This means that each sponsor only has to contribute Euro 3 for a 6 month period. (Euro 850 per month.. x 6 months divided by 1700 sponsors). This equals a total of Euro 0.50 per month!

Let’s face it you probably spend more than Euro 3 on a coffee and lunch! And who can’t afford Euro 3 for 6 month sponsorship of StN to ensure the survivability of this ratio-free tracker for the long-term. And best of all, it’s equitable and fair!

As these small amounts are considered micro-payments, we have decided to implement a minimum sponsorship of Euro 3 to avoid issues with paypal, and we will place no limitation on the initial round of sponsorships.

For example: if 3000 sponsors adopt a slot @ Euro 3 at the initial signup offering then everyone would get 10.58 months (Euro 0.28 per month!) And conversely if we get below 1700 then the duration of the sponsorship will lessen. E.g. If only 800 people signup then everyone will get 2.8 months. Still that’s only about E1/month!

So what do you get for being a sponsor? Well the concept behind this is an egalitarian ethos, so you get access to everything. There’s no discrimination based on feature sets belonging to different user classes! Every Sponsor gets…

Access to Requests
No dl slot restrictions
Upload ability
And most importantly each sponsor gets to be part of a unique “ratio-free” private community.

Now isn’t that egalitarian?

Of course, we’re going to still have some user classes but these are just descriptive and merely demonstrate who is a more active member, and to provide some incentive for everyone to continue to seed!

So how’s this all going to be implemented?

To start, we’re going to give you all 14 days to think it all over and reflect on it. At the end of 14 days every user will be placed into the Trial Sponsor user class and from there you have 14 days to consider adopting a sponsorship slot.

Following this 14 days i.e. Trial expiry any accounts that have not adopted a sponsorship slot will be disabled.. and finally 7 days after this the accounts will be pruned permanently if the user has opted not to make a sponsorship adoption of Euro 3.

If we’re oversubscribed i.e. 3000 sponsorships, as mentioned, we’ll leave the subscription slots as-is. In other words no existing registered user will be refused an option to sponsor StN and be part of this unique ratio-free private community.

If we reach our target or over subscribe then the open registrations are closed for good or until such time as they fall below our target of 1700. We thereafter become, as many have requested, a closed private community, so the opportunity to be part of this unique ratio free tracker is LIMITED!

If on the other hand, we have less sponsors than the target 1700 ie open adoption slots we will allow invites and/or open signups to the Trial Sponsor class until we reach a total of 1700 sponsorship adoptions.

The objective is to maintain 1700 adoption slots and become a closed tight-knit community.

Essentially a bunch of bull attached to large words such as "egalitarian" (I didn't post the entire news post but they spend a paragraph defining the meaning of this "sophisticated" word :rolleyes:) and a moral "ethos" to attempt to cover the fact that this is turning into another P2L tracker no better than Vizz.tv.

Where is p2p headed :dabs:

Duckater
11-13-2009, 02:05 AM
How ever they word it or try to explain it means one thing the site is pay to leech glad I aint a member saves me having an account disabled then pruned :)

That1Guy
11-13-2009, 02:28 AM
I dont know the tracker but as far as appearance, it pretty much looks like their goal is to make money. Everything I have heard about the site involved donations. Maybe I am wrong, but I wont be searching for an invite to see :P.

pro267
11-13-2009, 02:36 AM
1700x3 = 5100Euros.

I wouldn't be surprised if they shut down the site after getting a bunch of donations.
Not bad as pocket money if you're a cunt.

nethawk
11-13-2009, 03:25 AM
Ok, lets hope this is not a new trend for private trackers. :ermm:

BobFromAccounting
11-13-2009, 03:43 AM
1700x3 = 5100Euros.

I wouldn't be surprised if they shut down the site after getting a bunch of donations.
Not bad as pocket money if you're a cunt.

I suspect they'll keep it up until it's no longer profitable, possibly pop up under a new name a few months later and start over again.

TrollinThunder
11-13-2009, 04:10 AM
I'm not surprised after chatting with the sysop on opening day. They already run several p2l topsites.

dvdasacd
11-13-2009, 04:40 AM
Money and piracy should be separated from each other as much as possible.

Otherwise it gives rise to corruption, divide, legal risks, not to mention, the spirit of sharing flying out the door.

This news makes me feel sick, I couldn't read all of it.

Benjamin
11-13-2009, 04:44 AM
I don't see the big deal, the people who are stupid enough to pay deserve to be robbed of 3 euros. I wasn't even aware anyone used STN.

Cabalo
11-13-2009, 05:03 AM
There will always be people stupid enough to fall on this one. They surely won't lose money on this one.

That1Guy
11-13-2009, 05:53 AM
Wow, I missed this line the first time I read it. "Following this 14 days i.e. Trial expiry any accounts that have not adopted a sponsorship slot will be disabled.. and finally 7 days after this the accounts will be pruned permanently if the user has opted not to make a sponsorship adoption of Euro 3."

So if you dont "donate" then they will disable you? lmao. What a bunch of douche bags. They are asking for it in more ways than one. First they are strait out selling their "content" which may raise some organizations awareness. Second, they are asking for a scene-notice. And maybe even for someone to hack the sh*t out of them.

I will be really surprised if this site is still around in a couple months...

Polarbear
11-13-2009, 06:38 AM
Never pay for warez!

Second, they are asking for a scene-notice. And maybe even for someone to hack the sh*t out of them.

Yep, the release scene will be enthusiastic about a P2P site selling the stuff they shared for free.

On the other hand. It's pretty common that 0-day trackers pay for scene access. So don't shout P2L too loud.

It's up for the enduser to decide. Usually it doesn't work when you're trying to make people pay.

I'm not a member of that site and If I was I'd be gone as soon as it becomes mandatory to pay.

kukushka
11-13-2009, 06:57 AM
so, for the members that are have some buffers there, time to waste it :)

TP635
11-13-2009, 07:16 AM
so, for the members that are have some buffers there, time to waste it :)

...and more, hit and run until they catch up with you.

HMthePM
11-13-2009, 07:59 AM
So I guess I will be leeching a lot of stuff from there for the next 14days.
I might donate to a site that I like but ain't ever paying if its mandatory.
Anyway its their site, if they wanna close down due to lack of users, so be it.

Zebra
11-13-2009, 08:21 AM
Tracker will die soon..... forcing people to donate is not going to help especially a new tracker

pone44
11-13-2009, 08:47 AM
No member should donate. I am sure there are better or equal to this site(never seen it) so why not use a site that is free,easy to seed on. What will they do start over with new members if nobody donates? Doubt it. being too greedy or doing something desperate like Forcing donations is why sites are shut down. Is this a BT tracker or RS,MU? Does not sound like a site that is safe nor does it sound like the staff care about their members, just $. So if you upload and follow rules but do not throw the site money they kick you out. Pathetic.:sleep:

"Following this 14 days i.e. Trial expiry any accounts that have not adopted a sponsorship slot will be disabled.. and finally 7 days after this the accounts will be pruned permanently if the user has opted not to make a sponsorship adoption of Euro 3."

megabyteme
11-13-2009, 09:14 AM
Why wait the 14 days? Find another tracker that is honest and abides by community standards.

People should get as far from that shit as possible! And they should be hacked. :D

Funkin'
11-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Wow, I missed this line the first time I read it. "[SIZE=1][B][U][I]Following this 14 days i.e. Trial expiry any accounts that have not adopted a sponsorship slot will be disabled.. and finally 7 days after this the accounts will be pruned permanently if the user has opted not to make a sponsorship adoption of Euro 3."

I also missed that. Kind of got disgusted and bored and after the first few lines.

I can't believe a brand new site has the balls to try something like this. I wonder how many members they're going to have after this 14 day trial.

The_Martinator
11-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Obviously, the old system they had in place was not lucrative enough. :P

awaited
11-13-2009, 12:57 PM
If they are albe to get those 1700 sponsorship slots filled, then what should we expect?every tracker doing the same?

nethawk
11-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Their staff made a somewhat good argument. I don't fully agree with them. What do you guys think?

From STN staff:

There is not a single site that is bit-torrent (p2p) that is not p2l
Here is my logic.
Sites that sell donations (SCT, etc) are p2l
Sites that have ads are p2l
Sites that you click on anything or are forced to view something are p2l
sites that are ratio based are p2l (as you pay with your bw that costs you something).

So there are NO sites that are p2p that aren't p2l, because p2p is inherently p2l.

Ratio Free trackers, are a bit different, no one is forced to use any bandwidth, you can just seed for the minimum period. It can be at 1k/s across all torrents. (which is throttling, and some sites duh, just figured out now that people are throttling).

I had two options. Stop accepting donations, and just run the site for myself and if people want to be here fine (but no suggestions, no help, no comments), it's just here, or b. let a few people donate here and there. It didn't feel right letting some people donate, and then others just leech, bitch, moan, complain, and basically drag the site down.

So if you find value in the site. Sponsor it, if you don't, then move along.

That1Guy
11-13-2009, 07:48 PM
I think that is a load of crap. I can DEFINITELY think of one (probably more) site thatr doesnt do anyone of those.

And this "sites that are ratio based are p2l (as you pay with your bw that costs you something)." made me lol tbh. But like I said there are definitely trackers that dont do any of those things. Even if their list wasnt a load of crap (imo of course :P ).

Oh wait... I suppose that when I browse a site it costs me time also so maybe they ARE all P2L! :lol:

edit: this does make sense though: "So if you find value in the site. Sponsor it, if you don't, then move along." Which I have a feeling they will find people will do.

2nd edit: their terms and conditions is a freakin gold mine. It seriously looks like it was written by some teenage tweeker or something. :lol: I was gonna copy and paste some here, but it would have been a book. I cant even force myself to get through all of it, but im sure there is some CLASSIC stuff in there. Just one part that I thought was funny is "AND MAY INTERRUPT OR DISCONTINUE OFFERING THIS WEBSITE IN WHOLE OR PART AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE. " I wonder where they are going?

Maybe I should not have copied and pasted that... because "All contents on this website, both textual and graphic, including but not limited to computer code and images, and all e-mail or other messages or correspondence from **** are the property of ***** are copyrighted, and may not be reproduced or published without permission." But i think Im fine because I didnt agree right? :P

I usually wont bash trackers, and definitely not in public. But seriously what a joke.

pone44
11-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Forced donations are different than other sites giving upload credit for money, except vizz. No other sites force donatations!You get kicked off if you don't donate, that is desperate and shady. Would NOT join STN or whatever other site!

Their staff made a somewhat good argument. I don't fully agree with them. What do you guys think?

From STN staff:

There is not a single site that is bit-torrent (p2p) that is not p2l
Here is my logic.
Sites that sell donations (SCT, etc) are p2l
Sites that have ads are p2l
Sites that you click on anything or are forced to view something are p2l
sites that are ratio based are p2l (as you pay with your bw that costs you something).

So there are NO sites that are p2p that aren't p2l, because p2p is inherently p2l.

Ratio Free trackers, are a bit different, no one is forced to use any bandwidth, you can just seed for the minimum period. It can be at 1k/s across all torrents. (which is throttling, and some sites duh, just figured out now that people are throttling).

I had two options. Stop accepting donations, and just run the site for myself and if people want to be here fine (but no suggestions, no help, no comments), it's just here, or b. let a few people donate here and there. It didn't feel right letting some people donate, and then others just leech, bitch, moan, complain, and basically drag the site down.

So if you find value in the site. Sponsor it, if you don't, then move along.
:rolleyes:

Cabalo
11-13-2009, 08:54 PM

This one is a non sense. Everyone out there pays for their internet (or their parents), and this is just an added cost.
The only part i agree with is when he says: Sponsor it, if you don't, then move along.

awaited
11-14-2009, 03:01 AM

This one is a non sense. Everyone out there pays for their internet (or their parents), and this is just an added cost.
The only part i agree with is when he says: Sponsor it, if you don't, then move along.

Even if we agree to that, we ain't gonna get rid of that by becoming their sponsor:dabs:

eldiesel
11-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Why would I pay for what i could get for free ?

Rart
11-14-2009, 09:25 PM

I don't even understand how anyone could possibly just be ok with "move along". Not only are they forcing you to donate or get banned, the entire site is turning into a freaking business. I browsed there site for 3 more minutes and already found 2 more personal ads:

You can upload your PDF file and we'll send you hard bound printed book!

Yes, that is correct, we'll print out in black and white, and bind it in commercial grade binding materal, emboss (hotstamp) information on it (front, spine, and/or back) and ship it to you

Prices are:
$8.00 for the hard binding and embossing
$0.005 per sheet (2 pages)

And (In his signature)

Visit: www.yoctogon.com for all your usernet, vps, and server needs.

The site is turning into a blatant front for advertising. How could you simply accept this and "move along"? :dabs:

Bad-Day
11-14-2009, 10:02 PM

Has some logic.

ps: Whats the difference to TL ?

ignorance floods this thread.

Rart
11-14-2009, 10:06 PM
It's incredibly easy to seed at TL and power users get 2 invites every month. There is absolutely no need to donate at all. You can donate if you want to support the tracker, or if you're too dumb/connection isn't good enough to keep a ratio.

For STN, if you dont donate, you're banned from the tracker.

That's so similar. Why hadn't I seen it before?

That1Guy
11-14-2009, 10:07 PM
The difference is TL doesnt ban you if you dont donate.....

Edit: yeah what Rart said

Bad-Day
11-14-2009, 10:27 PM
It's incredibly easy to seed at TL and power users get 2 invites every month. There is absolutely no need to donate at all. You can donate if you want to support the tracker, or if you're too dumb/connection isn't good enough to keep a ratio.

No doubt about, tl is my first, i just love it, but....... seriously, cut the crap.

Theyre doing it for the money. no need to discuss it.

About stn or whatever, its the same shit has usenet, or any other tracker that, requires a seedbox to survive.

The first time i saw 1 giveaway, where the word seedbox required, was mentioned, if im not mistaken, it was @ s zzzzzz t 2 or 3 years ago.

p2p is not generally free. ( exceptions ? there are some, not many )

chinaski
11-14-2009, 10:28 PM
what stn stands for?

Bad-Day
11-14-2009, 10:32 PM
stn ?

it stands for ...

www. some guy needs cash, and he decided to make a tracker.net

Rart
11-14-2009, 10:37 PM

No doubt about, tl is my first, i just love it, but....... seriously, cut the crap.

About stn or whatever, its the same shit has usenet, or any other tracker that, requires a seedbox to survive.

The first time i saw 1 giveaway, where the word seedbox required, was mentioned, if im not mistaken, it was @ s zzzzzz t 2 or 3 years ago.

Sure I do realize that many sites do do it for the money. I had made a thread a while back just about that topic. But there's a difference between using donation money and forcing people to donate. Forcing people to donate to use a tracker is a completely different ballpark, not to mention the legal entanglements that come with it. Even though many trackers may be profit oriented, it is in no way the same thing as forcing users to pay a fee to use the site.

The_Martinator
11-14-2009, 10:38 PM
I don't even understand how anyone could possibly just be ok with "move along". Not only are they forcing you to donate or get banned, the entire site is turning into a freaking business. I browsed there site for 3 more minutes and already found 2 more personal ads:

Yes, that is correct, we'll print out in black and white, and bind it in commercial grade binding materal, emboss (hotstamp) information on it (front, spine, and/or back) and ship it to you

Prices are:
$0.005 per sheet (2 pages)

And (In his signature)

Visit: www.yoctogon.com for all your usernet, vps, and server needs.

The site is turning into a blatant front for advertising. How could you simply accept this and "move along"? :dabs:

He's old, has seen lots of stuff and is bitter. I can't really blame him, tbh. But I'm young(er) so I'm positive. Not about this site, but about p2p in general.

As for why this is happening, capitalism.

Bad-Day
11-14-2009, 10:45 PM

Sure I do realize that many sites do do it for the money. I had made a thread a while back just about that topic. But there's a difference between using donation money and forcing people to donate. Forcing people to donate to use a tracker is a completely different ballpark, not to mention the legal entanglements that come with it. Even though many trackers may be profit oriented, it is in no way the same thing as forcing users to pay a fee to use the site.

In the end, its all a crime.

Supertorrents = lexus
*** used it for the day to day life
** same has above
******* - even bough an iphone, and payed rent, he was unemployed.
balbalbalbla...

etc,,, unfortanly all the others who dont do that, are confused whit the ones above.

sez
11-15-2009, 12:31 AM

Capitalism's a religion that makes Satan a god and teaches self-righteous people to embrace a facade.It ain't wrong to make money legit or illegal but its treason when you turn your back on your people.Word?

Heroo
11-15-2009, 01:35 AM
stn ?

it stands for ...

www. some guy needs cash, and he decided to make a tracker.net

that's it

its the true F**k Stn :frusty:

filenetworks
11-15-2009, 04:42 AM
There are some trackers that do not engage in any of the activities mentioned in the P2L argument (sans "sites that are ratio based are p2l (as you pay with your bw that costs you something" ).
As far as I know, Docs.Torrents.Ro and Tv.Torrents.Ro neither display ads nor take donations. I'm sure there are more.

The_Martinator
11-15-2009, 11:40 AM

Capitalism's a religion that makes Satan a god and teaches self-righteous people to embrace a facade.It ain't wrong to make money legit or illegal but its treason when you turn your back on your people.Word?

Kinda. Capitalism can be great if you don't overdo it. Like everything, really.

Rart
11-15-2009, 02:48 PM
As far as I know, Docs.Torrents.Ro and Tv.Torrents.Ro neither display ads nor take donations. I'm sure there are more.

Thats good to know! Glad to know there are some trackers out there that aren't just out for making money. I'm curious to know how they keep their server bills up though...

I think that tvtorrentz also doesn't take donations and they have no ads either.

Totti
11-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Suckers never die they only change is all i can say regarding OP

Cabalo
11-15-2009, 07:55 PM

Prices are:
$0.005 per sheet (2 pages)And (In his signature)

Visit: www.yoctogon.com (http://www.yoctogon.com) for all your usernet, vps, and server needs.The site is turning into a blatant front for advertising. How could you simply accept this and "move along"? :dabs:
You clearly aren't getting my point on this one.
You are trying to create some kind of crusade against those guys, whether everyone agrees they have "BT morally bad" motivations.

What I'm trying to say is that you won't change the world with this thread, and probably you won't even change a single line on their future.

So I accept what they are saying, which is "pay and play or get the fuck outta here and stfu". I preferred the latter.

deadalive1
11-15-2009, 10:07 PM
I hope they cover their tracks well and their members also. The scene will be hammering them and not to mention the huge bullseye they painted on themselves for other groups to come raid them. Those who pay will have a nice little money trail leading right back to each and every one of them. Good luck with that in court......

chec
11-16-2009, 12:51 AM
business for scene shits.good luck

Cabalo
11-16-2009, 01:09 AM
funny. i always thought that selling leech axx was exactly the same, regarding as selling "scene shits". And some people who even staff some sites sell it to their members.
That's worse than STN's philosophy if you wanna go down that road.

Bad-Day
11-16-2009, 01:10 AM
parabens cabalo.
congrats cabalo.

And you deleted my post!!!!!!

bbuuaaaaaaa i announced it!!!

Rart
11-16-2009, 01:33 AM
funny. i always thought that selling leech axx was exactly the same, regarding as selling "scene shits". And some people who even staff some sites sell it to their members.

Isn't that essentially what STN is doing? I'm guessing that he is one of the ones selling "leech axx" as thats one of the core principles STN was founded on. Ever since the beginning, for an (extremely) lucrative fee you could request scene files to be uploaded as torrents, or for an even greater fee directly download from their scene ftp slot. When I first saw their site this greatly drew my suspicion but I shrugged it off at first as the site seemed to be doing quite well...

As for my thread, I do realize in the grand scheme of things it won't really make a difference. But after seeing the irony and absurdity of their recent shift I couldn't help but post it here and hopefully shed some light on the tracker. Perhaps this thread will make (somewhat) of a difference on how people view the tracker :ermm:

Cabalo
11-16-2009, 01:35 AM
parabens cabalo.
congrats cabalo.

And you deleted my post!!!!!!

bbuuaaaaaaa i announced it!!!
actually wasn't me. but more chances will come :happy:

Isn't that essentially what STN is doing? I'm guessing that he is one of the ones selling "leech axx" as thats one of the core principles STN was founded on. Ever since the beginning, for an (extremely) lucrative fee you could request scene files to be uploaded as torrents, or for an even greater fee directly download from their scene ftp slot. When I first saw their site this greatly drew my suspicion but I shrugged it off at first as the site seemed to be doing quite well...

As for my thread, I do realize in the grand scheme of things it won't really make a difference. But after seeing the irony and absurdity of their recent shift I couldn't help but post it here and hopefully shed some light on the tracker. Perhaps this thread will make (somewhat) of a difference on how people view the tracker :ermm:

I understand your attitude towards the site, and share it in some points. I just don't think we're going to make any difference with this, because actually the members who don't pay will be disconnected in few days and learn it the hard way.
Just let them go. They're indeed selling leech axx, only via a tracker, not a FTP server.

chec
11-16-2009, 01:44 AM
Cabalo

Scene shits means, what are they offering extra, there are billions of scene tracker

Rart
11-16-2009, 01:46 AM
Archive Axx what's that? Easy breezy. On some of our topsites, we have a small archive of around 40TB of old releases. As a bonus, we include access to those at the higher levels.

Please keep in mind that there are a limited number of "slots" available on any given month. So if 0day, never been stepped on warez from the scene are what you want. Come get some!.

All Topsites are Gigabit, you can reach speeds in excess of 100MB/s
You get 4 simultaneous logins.

FTP Access? :dabs:

And for 500 euros, you get "unlimited transfer"!

Also, curious as to what you guys think of this...

I started this as a different topic because people have strong opinions about it.

There is no getting around a few things.

Any tracker that is currently running, is doing 1 of two things from a "LEGAL" standpoint.
A. Conspiring to distribute copyrighted material (I.E. Theft)
or
B. Facilitating the distribution of stolen/pirated programs.

Without blowing my entire load as to my professional opinion and potential legal defense in the future. (My dad was a federal judge before he died, my sister is an attorney, my wife is an attorney, and I have more family members if various parts of the legal system than I care to count.)

By moving to a sponsorship model, it does something else besides making the playing field equal for all the participants. It also, makes it nearly impossible for any "new" sponsor to do anything legally to the tracker.
It prevents any OLD sponsor from moving forward with any "old" information, as there is no continuance of a crime.

I'll address some of the concerns from the other thread:

[bringing additional light, heat, etc onto the tracker because it is accepting sponsors.]

1. Security by obscurity is retarded at best, as much as BCG, GFT and the likes think they are safe, they are sadly mistaken.
2. Super Elite trackers get busted all the time. Just look at what happened to UK-T. Hardly anyone had access, they had very little users. and Next to no publicity.
3. Being large, or small, donation, no donation. If you get on someone's radar, game over. There is no way to prevent it, no way to reduce it
4. The minute the site has a seedbox, they themselves are distributing the stolen material.

[Sponsoring, donation, is morally against my fabric, wrong, etc].
I'll say it again, all P2P trackers are pay to leech. Period.
All P2P are breaking the law period. (I am unaware of any p2p tracker soly distributing legal content)
Everyone downloading from a tracker is breaking the law. (Some countries have no laws like mine, so you may be exempt locally, but the US,AU,EU have all been known to have a long reach).
Sorry if theses things offend you but it is the truth.
Downloading software whether you intend to use it or not via p2p, is breaking the law.
By allowing people to sponsor to stay, we've given STN one of the most legal footings possible, years ahead of other trackers.
It might surprise to know:
SCT brings in > E3,500 per month in "donations" invites, topsite axx etc.
SCC brings in > E3,000 per month
GFT brings in > E800 per month
And those figures are just what "I" personally know about.

I'm on over 1,200 trackers as of friday. From GREEK and RUSSIAN p2l that are clearly profit driven, to small niche trackers that don't take donations, run as a hobby, user provided content. No 1 tracker can please everyone, no 1 tracker can be the best. After all it is an opinion. FWIW my favorite Trackers right now are, ArabicFilms, CartoonChoas, SpiritTracker, and Cat Torrent (Bitgamer, UG, RevTT, and ScienceHD are in my top 10).

[Paypal, Privacy, Micropayment Solutions]
Paypal is fairly liberal with their required documentation. They don't check CC names, or anything, just the CC # and the paypal verification code to activate the account.
All other micropayment forms, require a lot of paperwork from the site owner.
While my country and the countries I travel too are exempt from IP laws. I have an asston of personal assets to protect. I'm not about to fax my passport, cedula, etc to 3rd parties to accept payment. It is an additional risk. One in which the risk to accept maybe 4-5 E3.00 payments is way greater than the reward. Not to mention the risk it puts ALL users at.
Sponsoring a site, is not an indication of guilt, having non purchased downloaded material on your computer is a crime, PERIOD. regardless if you made a sponsorship, donation etc.

Duckater
11-16-2009, 01:53 AM
So if every member is a sponsor of the site does this not make them more legally resposible for the trcker there for part owners hence then not just considered they are getting pirated material but also part the the structure that supplies the material and therefore equally resposible for all conent avaliable?

If so then that makes the risk being a member/sponsor of the site even less appealing than being told to be there you have to sponsor.

Either way a controlled p2l where other sites mentioned are voluntry contributions.

kooltilldend
11-17-2009, 11:17 AM
pay money, spread risk, make the owner/admin rich

this is a surefire hit scheme :P

Patriot foreve
11-18-2009, 04:03 PM
i think they should change the slogan of the tracker to (help me to be a millionaire)or something ,the site staff have played it smart honestly ,they invested alot of money to make the tracker one of the fastest and their torrent count with regard to the tracker being online was pretty impressive and now they are going to get that money back 10x and who knows what will happen after or if they will disappear

for now it's still 100 members of 6500 members who have paid their 3 Euros ,i don't really support any tracker who forces their members to pay money and i hope it doesn't become a trend .also there are hundreds of great trackers around so whose gonna care about one going P2L

TrollinThunder
11-18-2009, 04:45 PM
My new site, Sellthe.net only charges 1 Euro per month if you sign up for a year.

Rart
11-18-2009, 09:35 PM
My new site, Sellthe.net only charges 1 Euro per month if you sign up for a year.

Storethe.net is .5 euros per month, beat that.

TrollinThunder
11-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Subtle.net. Read that.

kooltilldend
11-18-2009, 09:57 PM

Storethe.net is .5 euros per month, beat that.
not true...STN's cost per month / per person depends on the number of users that are willing to be scammed :P

RizKhan25000
11-19-2009, 04:00 PM
They had good donation contributions in start but when they began to introduce one after another P2L factor like pay for this , pay for that, their donations dried up rather quickly in the months to follow. Hard negative response against such sites is the best way to prevent such practices in the future.

TrollinThunder
11-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Most somewhat buzzworthy trackers get great donations in month 1 but then dry up. It's a part of the general trend of higher torrent and forum/irc activity.

RizKhan25000
11-19-2009, 04:17 PM
May be you are right but you can't ignore the negative effect of P2L policies on the donations of sincere members.

TrollinThunder
11-19-2009, 04:19 PM
I don't see any evidence being established which I might be able to ignore.

RizKhan25000
11-19-2009, 04:22 PM
That is the establish truth people don't like P2L trackers and prectices. If you want the truth conduct a poll in this regard.

TrollinThunder
11-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Even assuming that is true, you have not established a causal connection between "people don't like p2l" and your initial point that "donations are down because of the new p2l policy". In fact, it doesn't seem that you have established that donations are down.

RizKhan25000
11-19-2009, 04:51 PM
lol! a little test for you which of the following sentences are correct!
1. People who don't like P2L donate for P2L sites.
2. People who don't like P2L don't donate for P2L sites.

TrollinThunder
11-19-2009, 04:56 PM
3. Most people deriding the system in this thread have not already donated to the site and would not have donated to the site even if they had not implemented a subscription requirement.

RizKhan25000
11-19-2009, 05:04 PM
3. Most people deriding the system in this thread have not already donated to the site and would not have donated to the site even if they had not implemented a subscription requirement.

This is your assumption or imagination. What is base of this statement.

TrollinThunder
11-19-2009, 05:06 PM
That is the establish truth. If you want the truth conduct a poll in this regard.

RizKhan25000
11-19-2009, 05:10 PM
That is the establish truth people don't like P2L trackers and prectices. If you want the truth conduct a poll in this regard.

That is the establish truth. If you want the truth conduct a poll in this regard.

Copy and paste!:(

TrollinThunder
11-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Actually, I quoted, then deleted the bb code and the irrelevant words. I probably should have added an "(sp)" after "establish".

Rart
11-20-2009, 01:00 AM

Copy and paste!:(

Subtle.net?

Kanenas
11-20-2009, 04:46 PM
dont ever register to that crap tracker.

Rart
11-26-2009, 07:35 PM
This message is for people that have not read the forums.

A few weeks ago STN went to a sponsorship only model, and unfortunately due to a few bad users, I’ve had to change plans and restrict everyones access to the system. This includes downloading, posting, and reading all the forums except for one.

This means in order to stay here at STN past DEC 1st and to use the site, you need to be a sponsor. We accept Paypal, and Moneybookers.
The sponsorship cost is E3.00 and is valid for six months.
You get access to everything on the site.
Additionally you do no need to seed. More information is available in the forums.

This was done for 2 primary reasons among many.
1st, to make all the users equal on the site and do away with donors, and different user classes.
2nd, to protect the users, the tracker, and myself (my personal assets).

I realize this may not be popular. However it is the direction of _this_ tracker and will be the way most trackers have to conduct themselves in the future to protect their users, and the owners.
You may not agree with this, and that is fine. It may go against your principles and that is fine as well.

You may think it is an attempt to profit from you, however I can never re-coup the costs involved in STN.
I would charge less then E3.00 but accepting smaller payments isn’t practical.

This topic is not open for discussion.

If you which to have a sponsorship spot at STN, but are unable to pay at this time, or have some other financial burden.
Please let me know, and I will park your account for 60 days. That will give you 60 days to find a way to sponsor STN. You will be unable to use your account during this period, and only be able to click on Become a Sponsor.

If you choose not to be a sponsor of STN, once your account is deleted, the only way to get back into STN in the future is to find someone with an Invite.
The site will not be open for public signups, nor will there be an INVITE channel.

Thank you
Yocto

So much for freedom of expression.

cRaZyzMaN
11-27-2009, 11:28 AM
i would like to see some pics of this site content lol

anon
11-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Mostly 1S/0L torrents, but I can post a pic if you want.

cRaZyzMaN
11-27-2009, 12:22 PM
i'm curious about the content of this site, they are selling something that we can get for free, so i would like to see what they have to offer

anon
11-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Nothing you can't find elsewhere:

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7364/stn.th.gif (http://img268.imageshack.us/i/stn.gif/)

Although they have a request system where you can ask for any release and they'll try to find it on the topsites they have access to. As well as the possibility of uploading stuff from other trackers to prevent you from ruining your ratio there.

The_Martinator
11-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Selling access=uber level.

:lol:

LubTheStaringCat
11-27-2009, 04:48 PM
I'm curious as to how many torrents do they have, I would presume It's several hundred thousand, well that's how many Demonoid(when online) or torrents.ru has.

anon
11-27-2009, 04:50 PM
At the time of this post, there's a total of 12610 torrents.

joomit
11-27-2009, 06:04 PM
stn gonna suck now