PDA

View Full Version : Case Fan Rpm Question

abu_has_the_power
10-10-2003, 09:52 PM
i have all my fans hooked up in parallel and 1 molex goes to the psu. now, i'm trying to increase the rpm of my fans, and i'm wondering if i hook each individual fan to a rheobus or fan controller with the dials, would i be able to increase the rpm higher than it is now (now meaning parallel and hooked up to the psu with 1 molex). thanks

also, if u know how to do this, i want to increase the rpm of my cpu's heatsink fan. it's like an "intel" fan. stupid shit, but i'm trying to decrease my cpu temp. i use this weird soft called foxstep that came with my mobo drivers, and it can set minimum cpu fan rpms. before the rpm was 2600 something like tat, now, i set the minimum to 3000, and the rpm increased to 2800. i want to increase higher. is there a good software to do this?

abu_has_the_power
10-10-2003, 10:25 PM
please help?

TheFilePirater
10-10-2003, 10:43 PM
ur not suppose to increase your rpm on ur ur fans more than they are..lol its like running ur car in 1st gear all the time...

make sure u dont conect alot of fans on 1 power supply

abu_has_the_power
10-10-2003, 10:47 PM
hmm.... arn't u supposed to parallel connect all the fans? or how the hell r u supposed to have enough molexes? please don't pretend to be an idiot.

so does the fan controller or rheobus increase the rpm beyond wat it is now?

Virtualbody1234
10-10-2003, 10:49 PM
When hooking up your fan without the rheobus they run at their maximum speed. If you add the rheobus you can only slow the fan down with it.

If you would get a fan that was rated much faster then you could use the rheobus to control how fast and therefore how loud the fan is.

Here is a picture of a faster (4800rpm) case fan: http://phamcomputer.safeshopper.com/images/bm0axul8.jpg

Also available in 5700 RPM version

Click for ---> Vantec site (http://www.vantecusa.com/product-cooling.html#)

TheFilePirater
10-10-2003, 10:50 PM
no, the fan controller just lowers ur rpms so it makes ur pc quite, ive seen some on ebay and they look pretty good, i think making ur fans faster would require u to put more power into them, but doin that is prolly dangerous b/c they can burn up

abu_has_the_power
10-10-2003, 11:01 PM
doesn't a rheobus controll up to 20 volts or watts? so if it's at highest, the fan would have the highest wattage or voltage, making the fan faster. am i rite?

abu_has_the_power
10-10-2003, 11:56 PM
please help

clocker
10-11-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@10 October 2003 - 16:01
doesn't a rheobus controll up to 20 volts or watts? so if it's at highest, the fan would have the highest wattage or voltage, making the fan faster. am i rite?
No you are not.

If your fan is now hooked directly to the power supply it is running as fast as it ever will.
The rheostat will only served to slow it down.

abu_has_the_power
10-11-2003, 03:01 AM
does hooking it in serial and parallel have any difference?

Virtualbody1234
10-11-2003, 03:55 AM
Yes, hooking it up in serial will slow it down.

That's if you really know what the difference is in the way to connect them.

abu_has_the_power
10-11-2003, 04:41 AM
so using a rheobus only slows down the rpm? and theres no way of increasing the voltage or wattage or watever that my fans are getting?

lynx
10-11-2003, 11:04 AM
Just wire them straight into the mains supply. They'll go very fast for a few seconds, then probably explode with a shower of sparks. Why not get a digital camera, then you can show us the pics. After that, you can probably sell them on ebay. :lol:

abu_has_the_power
10-11-2003, 06:18 PM
so a rheobus doesn't do shit then huh? ok, fine, b that way. arg. my fans are like hardly pushing out air at all. mayber i should get a tornado