PDA

View Full Version : Is It Possible?

johnboy27
10-11-2003, 05:41 AM
Is it possible to change the physical address of a network card? I have two computers,one with XP and the other has windows 98se.I am on cable internet so microsoft networking won't work for me unless I plan on paying my ISP more money a month for a second IP. I have a router but it is currently dead(waiting on support from Belkin) so I basically wanted to do the same thing as the router does and clone my mac address of my nic in my main comp so that the second computer has the same mac address as my main comp.
Does anybody have a way of doing this?

james_bond_rulez
10-11-2003, 05:54 AM
use smac (spoof mac)

works for me ;)

lynx
10-11-2003, 11:09 AM
Smac will work, but you won't be able to use both pc's at the same time, if that's what you were thinking. The whole idea of mac addresses is that they are unique. All networking at some point comes down to messages sent to mac addresses, if they aren't unique the message could get sent to the wrong machine.

Evil Gemini
10-11-2003, 01:51 PM
Why dont you just use a crossover cable ?

johnboy27
10-11-2003, 03:38 PM
I tried to use a crossover cable and windows networking but it won't work.I went threw the whole troubleshooter and got to the point that it told me to contact my ISP and get another IP for the second comp so I just gave up.
I may just give it another try.Hopefully I hear from Belkin soon.