PDA

View Full Version : Dialup Tweaks.

AAIR<<<
10-11-2003, 04:26 PM
hello everyone, i was just wondering if anyone can recomend a good program to tweak a dialup modem to get at least 7kb/sec downloads out of it if thats possible.

TheDave
10-11-2003, 04:32 PM
i dont think its possible. i think the programs that do it are just spyware

DarthInsinuate
10-11-2003, 04:34 PM
the most i can squeeze out is a 5kb/s, and i think that&#39;s fairly high

exeus
10-11-2003, 04:39 PM
the only thing i can suggest is to make sure you have a clear line like when you talk to ppl on the phone if there is any static/background noise get the phone guys out to take a look at it cos now days thats bout the only you can do really

Izagaia
10-11-2003, 05:41 PM
There really is not a tweak for dial-up. Your download speeds are "capped" by the ISP. About the only thing that may somewhat improve this is a decent download manager program that can draw from multiple sources/mirrors. Even then, do not expect too much more out of it.

Consider replacing your modem to the newer v92 standard models. Downloads are alittle faster or at least more likely to achieve the maximum rate set by your ISP and the site you are visiting. The initial "handshake" time (the humming, screeching noise) between your ISP and PC is also considerably reduced if not alleviated. Most newer v90 modems can be upgraded to v92 by simply installing newer v92 compatible drivers from your modem&#39;s manufacturer. However you will still need to call your ISP or visit their homepage to check whether or not that they have v92 compatible service. Some ISPs have special dial-up numbers set aside for v92 in addition to their normal ones.

abu_has_the_power
10-12-2003, 01:09 AM
um, where do u live? cuz here, my cable is only &#036;30 USD/month. that&#39;s not hard to afford. get a job sometime