PDA

View Full Version : Try Google's new design

anon
11-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Google mentioned they were going to implement a new design some time ago, and now you can try it yourself:

1. go to www.google.com (those of you that are redirected to your country's Google can use www.google.com/ncr)

2. copy this and paste it in your browser's address bar:

javascript:void(document.cookie="PREF=ID=20b6e4c2f44943bb:U=4bf292d46faad806:TM=1249677602:LM=1257919388:S=odm0Ys-53ZueXfZG;path=/; domain=.google.com");

3. refresh the page, or go to /ncr again. The site's logo and buttons should now look like this:

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/1128/googleg.png

The search results page will be different as well. If it doesn't work at first, "apply" the JavaScript code some more times until it does (for me it didn't work on Opera, had to use IE7).

tesco
11-27-2009, 11:54 PM
There's not much changed other than the new google logo and gooooogle page link images, and those out-of-place blue buttons.

anon
11-28-2009, 12:03 AM
The drop-down which suggests words as you type has also been changed, and in the search results page there's a sidebar to show related terms, filter them by time ranges, etc.

Things that as a happy Scroogle user I won't be able to enjoy :D

Keith90s
11-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Looks fresh to me :D

JonnyJ
12-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Interesting...

I read an article a few months ago written about Google's lead designer. He quit the company because he felt constrained by them. I remember he mentioned they spent a great length of time disputing between two shades of blue(which were incredibly close in hue) because one loaded marginally faster. Maybe those search buttons are the blue

anon
12-01-2009, 05:00 PM
I remember he mentioned they spent a great length of time disputing between two shades of blue(which were incredibly close in hue) because one loaded marginally faster. Maybe those search buttons are the blue

May sound stupid, but bear in mind that with the amount of daily traffic they get, speed and optimization are very important for Google. Just look at the HTML source of their homepage.

kjp
03-17-2010, 03:26 AM
I love the new sidebar with the ability to just show results from forums, videos etc.

Speedo
03-17-2010, 11:40 AM
I love the new sidebar with the ability to just show results from forums, videos etc.

+1

I use that all the time. But I think they are off aim some of the time. Some blogs come first and have nothing in the comment field. Hope they work on that.

anon
03-17-2010, 04:45 PM

Wasn't aware of that, I use Scroogle for 99% of my searches nowadays, and have disabled JavaScript for Google.

Speedo
03-18-2010, 10:20 PM

Wasn't aware of that, I use Scroogle for 99% of my searches nowadays, and have disabled JavaScript for Google.

Is it any good? I have mixed feelings about the site beeing made poorly on purpose or genuine. Having all your search data stored on one site is a big deal anyways. Thats why I hate OpenDSN, because I don't know anything about the guys behind it.

At least I know something about google and I know that they are all going to be assassinated the day they leak some personal data. And I think they are scared shitless about that because that would be their end.

Doesn't it suprise you that no major political figure has been taken down because of internet history alone?

That means google is shutting up and preventing it, but there is also more. You don't have to hack into a computer to get that information, there are easier ways.

I'm more for it's all in the open "non-prolifiration nuclear weapons" style hidden agreements amongst people, than any protection offered. Look ma, no bombs since 45.

Anyones life is to easy to figure out.

anon
03-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Is it any good? I have mixed feelings about the site beeing made poorly on purpose or genuine. Having all your search data stored on one site is a big deal anyways.

There's no real way to know, but I feel safer. And at the very least they don't set those annoying Google tracking cookies.

Speedo
03-27-2010, 12:06 AM
Is it any good? I have mixed feelings about the site beeing made poorly on purpose or genuine. Having all your search data stored on one site is a big deal anyways.

There's no real way to know, but I feel safer. And at the very least they don't set those annoying Google tracking cookies.
So I answer here. I have no idea about you. I choose to believe that you are a cool guy, that will answer.

Your right. No one knows. And the point I want to make is that you don't have to hack into someones computer to get their internet history. It's to fucking easy to gets someones internet history. And easy brings proliferation. Don't breach that!

lucaslee
04-04-2010, 06:44 AM
it looks nice ,i like it

filstop
04-04-2010, 10:08 PM
thanks for this

Slickerey
05-03-2010, 11:05 PM
I had the new design working, but I haven't been able to get it like that ever since I've cleaned my cookies.

I'm using Firefox 3.6. Is anybody else having the same problem?

cappy
05-04-2010, 01:28 PM
looks nice have to explore it more
neverthless i like this more blue

Rart
05-06-2010, 02:17 AM
New design is now out (not quite the same as what anon posted?) publicly for all users.

Couple new design changes but I really like the feature that allows you to filter image searches by color. Think I'll be using that quite a bit.

dandraesley
05-06-2010, 05:29 AM
@anon, so are the scroogle's web results are same exact copy with google's results?. If yes, I might give it a try.

anon
05-06-2010, 12:54 PM
@anon, so are the scroogle's web results are same exact copy with google's results?.

Scroogle grabs a random Google IP for every search. You may get different results even for the same words.