PDA

View Full Version : Best place to host a website

coldnorth
11-28-2009, 07:49 PM
This has probably been discussed over and over here, but times change, services change, and so do companies, so here goes. I am looking for some opinions on the best place to host a website. I do plan to register a domain, and ultimately will offer products for sale. A few of the things I’m looking for are

Best price
Decent amount of space and bandwidth
I want a forum/message board, similar to this one, so something that could host phpBB or CIG. An installer for these would be an added benefit.
An SSL Certificate shared or otherwise would be nice.
Built in FTP so I do not have to download another program would be real nice
POP mailboxes and perhaps shopping cart as well.
Maybe the ability to offer blog space to some of my visitors

Anyone have any favorites that might fit the bill?

$SnoopDo2G$
11-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Are you lookin' for an offshore host or a regular host in the US or something ?
Because i know a couple of reliable offshore hosts...
Also what do you mean by decent amount ? how much is that ? 1GB 30GB or what ?
Are you gonna host nulled scripts or not ?

coldnorth
11-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks for responding. I would prefer hosting US. I guess "decent" is a little vague and subjective, so I'd say 2-4 gig (I think). Really do not need a huge site yet.

Also, my html skills are a bit dated so something the easier the better. Something that would let me pay monthly or quarterly would be nice as well.

$SnoopDo2G$
11-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Well if you want some US based Hosts i could advice those:

JaguarPC 1998-2009

JaguarPC offers the best hosting plan for all your needs such as Xcart,
blogs, forums, Xoops, Coppermine, WordPress, phpBB, Joomla, Mambo,
Drupal, Ruby on Rails, perl, Python, cgi scripts,PHP4 and PHP5 and more!

DiskSpace ENDLESS, free
Data Transfer (Bandwidth) Unlimited
Multi-hosted Domains Unlimited
Domain Parking Unlimited
Sub-Domains Unlimited
MySQL Databases Unlimited
FTP Accounts Unlimited
Email Accounts Unlimited
Rewards Points 2500+
Setup NO SETP FEE
Price (monthly) $9.97 (1mo. term)
$8.97 (3mo. term)
$7.97 (6mo. term)
$6.97 (12mo. term)
$5.97 (24mo. term)
$4.97 (36mo. term)

URL: http://www.jaguarpc.com/web-hosting/

I know a couple of others but i heard good things about that jaguarpc one....
But make sure what you will be hosting is 100% legal ;)

coldnorth
11-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks $SnoopDo2G$, I'll take a look at it.

They actually look pretty good. A bit more expensive than some I have looked at but not all that much.

coldnorth
11-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Anyone have an opinion of Fat Cow or Just Host?

NesteaZen
12-02-2009, 12:03 PM
There's also godaddy.com. As far as I know ishohunt uses it. Or maybe just domain registration. w/e.

coldnorth
12-02-2009, 09:21 PM
You ever use godaddy? If so have an opinion? Thanks

NesteaZen
12-02-2009, 09:40 PM
No, sorry coldnorth.
try
irc://irc.servercentral.net/webhosting
Found

http://www.bighosters.com/

sriups
12-03-2009, 03:20 AM
try this dude.

http://www.justhost.com/

coldnorth
12-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks

coldnorth
12-12-2009, 06:48 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows this following web host or has had any experience with them.

http://www.000webhost.com/

Also, any recommendations for the cheapest, easiest way to register a new domain name?

Hombre
12-12-2009, 07:57 PM
OVH is very safe. I use for seedboxes !

coldnorth
12-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks Hombre. How's the service? decent?

Tv Controls you
12-13-2009, 03:58 AM
There's also godaddy.com. As far as I know ishohunt uses it. Or maybe just domain registration. w/e.

Isohunt doesn't use godaddy. Theres pictures of their big servers on the web. Pretty interesting I'll find the pictures and post them here.

NesteaZen
12-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Yes, I thought so, but you never know. I've just whoised it and funny enough it uses godaddy as registrar and he also uses domainsbyproxy.com. So.. sorry.
I once read/heard isohunt and godaddy in one sentence so I assumed, but yes I know it would be stupid for the content they have.

coldnorth
Just come back to tell us what you've chosen and maybe post the website. Little traffic boost ;).

and ultimately will offer products for sale
Some shop or will you act as a host for various companies (designer)?

coldnorth
12-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks guys.

I used Go Daddy to register the domain and might just host it there for the time being. I'll post the url when it is up. My html skills are a bit dated so I might be back here asking advice.

Thanks again to everyone who responded. Love this site.

xuxoxux
12-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks guys.

I used Go Daddy to register the domain and might just host it there for the time being. I'll post the url when it is up. My html skills are a bit dated so I might be back here asking advice.

Thanks again to everyone who responded. Love this site.

I have used Godaddy in the past, and have not had any problems with them. Full up time and friendly support, though their prices could have been a tiny bit better. Still, nice deal.

coldnorth
12-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks everyone for all of your help. I have the site up and running, though there are still a few more things to work out. The forum has been installed and I loaded the pages with the updated e-mail and forum links but for some reason they are not appearing yet.

Go Daddy's price is good and they have a lot of nice features but their site is a bit awkward to navigate, especially for someone who has not put up a web page in years, and those were all sub-domains.

With my work schedule it might be a few days before I get everything working right but if anyone wants to take a look the url is

www.aneurysmsupport.com

I'd be real interested in hearing any opinions, criticisms, or advice.

Thanks again

Slickerey
12-14-2009, 01:44 AM
Just Host is horrible. Stay away from them. They charge you a rather expensive setup fee.

Instead, you should go with DreamHost or HostGator. What about Softlayer and Singlehop? :)

coldnorth
12-14-2009, 01:53 AM
Just Host is horrible. Stay away from them. They charge you a rather expensive setup fee.

Instead, you should go with DreamHost or HostGator. What about Softlayer and Singlehop? :)

Thanks Slickerey. I have this one up and running on Go Daddy. Will take a look at your suggestions for the next one.

sez
12-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Nice work you've done with the site but then begins the hard task of actually putting it out there so that everyone knows it exists.
I know there are how tos for turning up among the first in google searches but am unfamiliar with the specifics.

check out http://avaxhome.ws and see if you can find any useful material as regards that.

coldnorth
12-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Nice work you've done with the site but then begins the hard task of actually putting it out there so that everyone knows it exists.
I know there are how tos for turning up among the first in google searches but am unfamiliar with the specifics.

check out http://avaxhome.ws and see if you can find any useful material as regards that.

Thanks sez. Yes, that can often be the hardest part. A few years back I use to have pretty good luck with that, but it was much simpler then. Just make sure that you had meta tags and that the first part of the text contained the key words. Much more difficult now I hear. I used Go Daddy's web site analyzer and it picked out a few things I need to work on.

coldnorth
12-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the link sez, there might be some material there I can use.

Anyone have any hints, suggestions, or ideas for building some traffic and forum membership?

slim150
12-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the link sez, there might be some material there I can use.

Anyone have any hints, suggestions, or ideas for building some traffic and forum membership?

There were some search engine optimization tips that I saw in one of the guides on here

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-guides-and-tutorials-65/t-web-site-tips-by-fresp3kz-82765

coldnorth
12-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks Slim I'll take a look. I'm a bit concerned about that right now as I have not been indexed yet by the search engines. I know that can take a while but I have noticed that some other pages, postings on other forum, etc since I put the page up have been listed.

sez
12-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Dunno what you did but your site appears 1st page on google with aneurysm support as the key words.
I've since been acquainted with this SE0 guy and he guarantees top 3 with any key words(I doubted him) but I saw him do it.If you are still interested,let me know and I'll get you in contact with him.

coldnorth
01-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Yep, but that is the only page in which I am appearing on page one, and even within the top five. So yep, I'd be interested in talking with this guy.

I use to be pretty good at getting pages list in the first page, but things have changed a bit over the years.