PDA

View Full Version : .torrent files and their stubborn streak

Aristocles
11-29-2009, 09:20 PM
I cannot get this issue resolved:

Using utorrent, I have noted the following:
1)D'loads empty .torrent file from Vertor and Torrentreactor. I do find the empty file icon in my 'Downloads".
2)Does not even d'load a .torrent file at Fatal-Attraction. (Although the first box confirming/asking if I want to open with utorrent (does pop up. . . I click "OK" and nothing) There is not even a .torrent file icon in my "Downloads".

I have had no issues whatsoever, in the past, with Demonoid, TPB, Mininova Iso, etc.

Today I even tried Vuze, but it seems to do no better. I have noticed that the "empty" files I get with Vertor or Torrentreactor seem to be 'associated with another process'.

Would you guys give me some advice?

anon
11-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Using utorrent, I have noted the following:
1)D'loads empty .torrent file from Vertor and Torrentreactor. I do find the empty file icon in my 'Downloads".

What do you mean with "empty"? Are the files zero-length, or do they have the generic paper sheet icon on Windows Explorer? Can you post a screen?

Today I even tried Vuze, but it seems to do no better. I have noticed that the "empty" files I get with Vertor or Torrentreactor seem to be 'associated with another process'.

You could try resetting uT's .torrent file association at Preferences -> General -> Associate with .torrent files.

Aristocles
11-29-2009, 09:36 PM
They 'say' 0 Bytes. Seem to be .part files.

Yes, I have tried.

I am dumbfounded

anon
11-29-2009, 09:41 PM
You could try using a different browser to download the .torrents, so that we can discard a browser error.

Aristocles
11-29-2009, 09:44 PM
on it

Unbelievable. It took a few hoops but it seems to work with IE but not FF. Jeez

anon
11-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Unbelievable. It took a few hoops but it seems to work with IE but not FF. Jeez

I remember one of our users had a similar problem... I think this solved it:
http://www.ghacks.net/2008/03/13/properly-reset-firefox-download-actions/

Aristocles
11-29-2009, 10:45 PM
I suppose I'll just use IE. . . sucks

anon
11-29-2009, 10:48 PM
I.e. my link didn't help?

But you can install the IE Tab addon if you want to go to that extent. :P

Aristocles
11-29-2009, 10:50 PM
searching for "Download Actions" my content tab has none

anon
11-29-2009, 10:54 PM
I was talking about this:

enter about:config in the address bar and hit enter
right-click the preference browser.download.pluginOverrideTypes and select reset
right-click the preference plugin.disable_full_page_plugin_for_types and select reset
locate the file mimeTypes.rdf in the profile folder and delete it. Make sure it is in the profile folder and not in the programs folder

Aristocles
11-29-2009, 11:11 PM
No. Cannot find the files names it asks to click. I suspect that they are not options.

Thanks a million!

anon
11-29-2009, 11:20 PM
mimeTypes.rdf is located in this folder if that's what you meant:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\

You'll have to make Windows Explorer show hidden files and folders to see the Application Data directory.