PDA

View Full Version : Google Public DNS

anon
12-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Google Public DNS is a free, global Domain Name System (DNS) resolution service, that you can use as an alternative to your current DNS provider.

To try it out:

Configure your network settings to use the IP addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers or
Read our configuration instructions.

If you decide to try Google Public DNS, your client programs will perform all DNS lookups using Google Public DNS.

http://code.google.com/intl/en/speed/public-dns/

Seems Google wants to compete with OpenDNS.

Cabalo
12-03-2009, 06:43 PM
nice to see another one showing up.
But what's in for them by creating this service? I mean, google lives from advertising.

anon
12-03-2009, 06:47 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but OpenDNS redirects you to a search/guide page with some ads on it when you type an address incorrectly. Perhaps Google's doing the same. Not to mention they can see practically every site you visit when using this service.

Edit: not:

If you issue a query for a domain name that does not exist, Google Public DNS always returns an NXDOMAIN record, as per the DNS protocol standards. The browser should show this response as a DNS error.

tesco
12-08-2009, 12:02 AM
I haven't tried it yet, but OpenDNS redirects you to a search/guide page with some ads on it when you type an address incorrectly.
You can turn that off btw.

anon
12-08-2009, 04:36 PM
I know, but I don't want to make an OpenDNS account :lol:

xuxoxux
12-09-2009, 12:06 AM
I know, but I don't want to make an OpenDNS account :lol:

Prefer Google over OpenDNS?

anon
12-09-2009, 12:08 AM
No, as a matter of fact I have yet to try Google's DNS. I just don't want to make an OpenDNS account.

Cabalo
12-09-2009, 12:48 AM
No, as a matter of fact I have yet to try Google's DNS. I just don't want to make an OpenDNS account.
I've never dedicated any attention to this, but in your opinion which advantages do you think a regular user has when using OpenDNS instead his own ISP's DNS servers?

anon
12-09-2009, 12:50 AM
ISPs' DNS servers tend to be slow and sometimes go down, at least this was my case. OpenDNS is faster and has a 100% uptime so far.

Some people may say "but I get 10ms ping for my ISP's and 200 for OpenDNS". Well, the ping time shouldn't be a determinant factor when it comes to speed - your ISP may take 10ms to be reached, but 500ms to fetch the DNS record and send it to you.

tesco
12-09-2009, 01:31 AM
ISPs' DNS servers tend to be slow and sometimes go down, at least this was my case. OpenDNS is faster and has a 100% uptime so far.

That was also the case for me. The ISP DNS servers would randomly have really slow responses, like up to a minute or even more, along with not being able to access sites (server not found) even when they were working fine (tested with "downforeveryoneorjustme.com", and sometimes it was google that was "down").

As for the OpenDNS account, what's worng with signing up? It beats having to put up with that OpenDNS Search page...

anon
12-09-2009, 05:25 PM
As for the OpenDNS account, what's worng with signing up? It beats having to put up with that OpenDNS Search page...

If I remember correctly, there was a special procedure you needed to follow to customize things for more than one IP. And my IP ranges change every day to completely different ones :dry:

JGB
12-09-2009, 06:37 PM
OpenDNS is super straightforward, basically in firefox it changes your default search engine(change back under about:config). If you don't use an account but set the DNS server address on your computer, it doesn't really matter what your IP does after that.

Google gets out of it: next level of accurate tracking, never mind your searches. Now every website you access can be analyzed in order. Their business is information and delivering accurate ads, this is the next level for that.

PlayeR
12-10-2009, 03:42 PM
i read abt it few days ago n tried..I compared this with my isp DNS server but didnt notice any difference...

Gator71
06-30-2010, 04:08 AM
I have verizon, and I tested open dns,google,comodo along with verizon and google and open are tied just about following comodo then sadly verizon.

here's the tool I used
http://swmirror.org/drupal/?q=node/91

anon
06-30-2010, 05:14 PM
I have verizon, and I tested open dns,google,comodo along with verizon and google and open are tied just about following comodo then sadly verizon.

I used NameBench to compare the speeds of OpenDNS, Google's, Comodo's and my ISP's own servers. The first one was the fastest.

Gator71
06-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Yea I love open dns for their parental control features, if google had that I may have tried it.

darkstate01
07-01-2010, 11:46 AM
open dns rocks, ask yourself this, do you enjoy having google keep all your searches via there search engine?
what about them keeping your searches via there dns service?
Remember they keep this shit for 18 months
Open dns is a lot better and more reliable than you isp dns service and remember instead of your isp having all your search patterns open dns does.
Its a no brainer ,get open dns then get
https://ssl.scroogle.org/
for your searches ,take away as much info gathering as you possible can while on the net its really easy to do.

anon
07-01-2010, 04:15 PM
open dns rocks, ask yourself this, do you enjoy having google keep all your searches via there search engine?
what about them keeping your searches via there dns service?

That's one of my main deterrents to use their service. They already log everything you search for along the unique tracking cookie you get every time you use one of their services and your IP. They say that information is deleted after some time, but who knows if that's true.

By the way, I'm a Scroogle user too, for over a year already. Glad to see you post about it. :)

darkstate01
07-02-2010, 06:53 AM
Yes Scroogle rocks, I found out about on here, It may have been you who pointed me in the right direction about it, another good one is https://www.startpage.com/
And google keeps your info for 18 long months and passes that info on to government agencies when they request, where as scroogle delete not only your search requests but your IP info as well every 48 hours.

anon
07-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Yes Scroogle rocks, I found out about on here, It may have been you who pointed me in the right direction about it

As we talk about Scroogle, it seems they aren't having a good time :dabs: Today, every search query going through them results in this message:

July 1, 2010: Here we go again...

We regret to announce that our Google scraper may have to be permanently retired, thanks to a change at Google. It depends on whether Google is willing to restore the simple interface that we've been scraping since Scroogle started five years ago. Actually, we've been using that interface for scraping since Google-Watch.org began in 2002.

It is not possible to continue Scroogle unless we have a simple interface that is stable. Google's main consumer-oriented interface that they want everyone to use is too complex, too bloated, and changes too frequently, to make our scraping operation possible.

You can go here to read the full text:
http://scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbw.cgi

They've already been through this once, and managed to pull themselves out of that hole. I really hope this won't be any different... :(

I'll have a look at the one you posted - I already knew about IXQuick, but wasn't aware they were powering Startpage. :)

darkstate01
07-02-2010, 04:42 PM
scroogle will be back i'm sure, IXQuick and sartpage are controlled by the same engine so be happy with one or the other,the only thing is they have a bunch of search engines that they use to do your search request's instead of ONLY google,and also when you have done your search,pay attention to each of the links on the page,you will see a link on each of the links that says PROXY,if you press that link it will use there proxy so your IP is masked
Its just another tool for peoples privacy.
Hope this helps people who have issues with big bro watching your every move.

eddywong
07-03-2010, 03:00 PM
I think the DNS of my ISP is good, so, I will not modified DNS server to Google Public DNS

anon
07-03-2010, 04:06 PM
I think the DNS of my ISP is good, so, I will not modified DNS server to Google Public DNS

Cool.

darkstate01, thank you for recommending Startpage to me. Even though it's powered by IXQuick's service, it doesn't use any cookies, something I like a lot. :)

Of course, it has its downsides (ads, not so clean layout), so I still strongly hope Scroogle manages to fix their issues.

darkstate01
07-03-2010, 06:44 PM
It them a week last time, so early days yet.
eddywong you really need to look into changing your dns settings and change them to the opendns servers, having it be faster on the searching is only 1 reason,then other is taking away the isp dns so they can't filter/check where you have been on the net.
They have multiple settings in the control panel of opendns,1 setting is called shortcuts,what that does is,let say as an example you goto opendns a lot,instead of typing the full address in you just type opendns in the address bar.
security wise you can filter sites that your computer can visit.
this is just a few good things about opendns and you can delete all the logs/cache on your account at any time.

Gator71
07-04-2010, 07:02 AM
darkstate01
Thanks for the links...i'll try scroogle

anon
07-04-2010, 04:25 PM
i'll try scroogle

It's, uh, down.

Gator71
07-04-2010, 10:53 PM
http://www.scroogle.org/ Is online

http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm I meant this link

darkstate01
07-04-2010, 10:55 PM
It seems he has a malware problem and not a google problem,he's requesting help to solve the problem so he can get back online.
http://www.scroogle.org/botnote.html

anon
07-07-2010, 01:54 PM
scroogle will be back i'm sure

They're back!

Expeto
07-07-2010, 03:50 PM
scroogle will be back i'm sure

They're back!

Thank god!, good bye you fucking ugly sidebar!

Speedo
07-13-2010, 11:07 PM
I have thought about it and still can't understand why google want to involve itself in the dns buisniss. One thing is a leak of searchwords but leaking dns history can ruin lives.

The people on top think they are invisible but I tell you. If anyones life is leaked, their life is also very much in danger.

The power to ruin lifes are a power I can't understand google want to look into.

SB-087
08-14-2010, 03:04 PM
i will not use their service, seems like a major breech of privacy

rdtphd
08-31-2010, 11:28 PM
i use it for one reason. my isp dns redirects me to its own little search website if i type a single word in the address bar of firefox or any other browser. I want it to stay with the settings i put in the about:config page of firefox so I put google dns info in and no more redirects. I did find that verizon does have an opt out of the auto redirect which is to manually set the dns server info to a verizon one that doesnt redirect to their search page.

Expeto
09-10-2010, 05:15 PM
http://comodo.com/secure-dns/
Why its good?
* No ads,
* Protection against bogus sites, parked domains. Which means cleaner surf.
* if you type one word to the address bar redirects google search/feeling lucky(I personally hate this)

Why I use it;
* It does not belongs to the ass-clown called google