PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to know about the Differences

waeldiab
12-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Heay guys. M kinda new to this but i wanted to know about the difference between the following:

1. Movie 1080i
2. Movie 1080p
3. Movie 720p
4. Blueray
5. HD-DVD

I just wanted to know which would be the best to download and what would be the requirements to burn and watch them.

I normally download DVD-R but yesterday i was with my friend watching a movie, but before that it gave me an option to choose which sound would i need.(This is the first time i have seen an option of DTS sound) And when the movie started i was shocked :Owith the quality of the sound(the sound was really incredible).It was a DVD movie but had an option for DTS sound.
So i just want to know which of the following options can i use.
1. Movie 1080i
2. Movie 1080p
3. Movie 720p
4. Blueray
5. HD-DVD
and what should be the requirements do i need after downloading them. what software, CD-Drive, and what type of CD do i have to use to get these. A help would be appreciated.

xJohnxSmithx
12-05-2009, 06:42 PM
First off all hd stuff is ripped from Blu-ray. So the ultimate would be to dl the actual blu-ray. For that you'd need a blu ray burner and blank disks which would cost you an arm and a leg.

here is a cutandpaste re the formats
There are two main flavors of high definition TV, 1080i (the i is for interlaced) and 720p (p for progressive). 1080i offers the most pixels, with a matrix of 1920x1080 pixels, while 720p has fewer pixels at 1280x720 pixels. However, the difference is made up with the frame rate, which is only 30 frames per second with 1080i, but is double that with 720p, at 60 frames per second. The total pixels displayed per second is actually very similar, with 720p offering 55 million pixels per second, while 1080 is slightly higher at 62 million pixels per second.

What does all that mean? It all depends on the type of TV you watch. 720p is better at showing pictures with plenty of motion, since the higher frame rate helps smooth any quick motion on the screen - this is better for sports or action movies. 1080i offers more detail, which is for movies with lots of images or panoramas.

The best of all is the 1080p option. It offers the best of both world, 60 frames per second at 1920 x 1080 pixels. The toal bandwidth is 124 million pixels per second, double that of 1080i. It can display any HDTV signal without any downconverting. 720p signals are upconverted, while 1080i signals only require some gently "de-interlacing" to work properly. 1080p is the perferred option is possible - its backwards compatible with all old formats, and is ready for upcoming high definition discs.

None of this has anything to do with audio, i know but if you're burning actual blu rays then it should have the best audio available.
cheers

waeldiab
12-05-2009, 06:57 PM
thanks a lot for reply. so 1080p is the best option for sound and screen resolution. so is 1080p is blue ray or is it better to download blue ray formats.

sez
12-05-2009, 07:13 PM
thanks a lot for reply. so 1080p is the best option for sound and screen resolution. so is 1080p is blue ray or is it better to download blue ray formats.

yes

hagckz0r
12-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the clear explanation John ;)

brightsid
12-05-2009, 07:36 PM
First of all you need to describe your setup (TV, audio, player).
For example if you using a simple 5:1 sound system there is no need to download a dts movie.

waeldiab
12-05-2009, 07:44 PM
First of all you need to describe your setup (TV, audio, player).
For example if you using a simple 5:1 sound system there is no need to download a dts movie.

tv, i have full HD
and i am willing to buy new sound system support dts sound and blue ray player

scrappen
12-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Do you have your fullHD tv connected to your computer and play up your movies from there, or are you using a stand-alone player? As you may know, the formats you are asking about here is not compatible with a DVD player, so unless you play them from your computer you will need some other equipment, for example a streamer. I'm also fairly certain that bluray-players aren't compatible with the x264 codec these rips are encoded with (please correct me if i'm wrong).

Anyways.. fullHD means is native 1080p, so i would go for that (as long as your computer is powerful enough to decode it, or you have the appropriate equipment, that is)

EDIT: I re-read your post and noticed that you want to burn them. So i repeat again, if your watching them on a DVD-player, you can't play these formats. You will need to re-encode them to mpeg2. This is pointless since you will end up with dvd quality anyways. On the other hand, if you have a blueray burner and player you can download truehd rips or convert the x264s (if necessary, see above)

waeldiab
12-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Do you have your fullHD tv connected to your computer and play up your movies from there, or are you using a stand-alone player? As you may know, the formats you are asking about here is not compatible with a DVD player, so unless you play them from your computer you will need some other equipment, for example a streamer. I'm also fairly certain that bluray-players aren't compatible with the x264 codec these rips are encoded with (please correct me if i'm wrong).

Anyways.. fullHD means is native 1080p, so i would go for that (as long as your computer is powerful enough to decode it, or you have the appropriate equipment, that is)

EDIT: I re-read your post and noticed that you want to burn them. So i repeat again, if your watching them on a DVD-player, you can't play these formats. You will need to re-encode them to mpeg2. This is pointless since you will end up with dvd quality anyways

my friend i don't need to watching them on a DVD-player, i will buy sound system support dts sound and blue ray player

prasannab13
12-05-2009, 08:09 PM
thankss xJohnxSmithx for clear explanation....now i knew the differences

brightsid
12-05-2009, 08:30 PM
All BD players can offer good quality so money is the only thing I would consider. If you buy something like WDTV also then you cover almost all type of media available today

There a lot thing you have to consider in sound system. First of all it's the place you are covering. If you want to cover a big room you'll need something more powerful. Then it's the use you are interesting. If you need it only for movies an all in one system could probably cover all your needs. If you are audiophile you need something more sophisticated. And finally it's about how much money you can afford to spend.

I suggest to check home cinema dedicated forums. There you can find a lot of proposals depending on your room, money, etc.. Home cinema is an expensive hobby

nucks2424
12-05-2009, 08:37 PM
I have wdtv and on my 50 inch samsung I usually watch the 720p version. I don't notice much of a differeance with the 1080p. I do notice a differance between the dd and dts with dts much better on my sound system

jibjibman
12-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Wow I didn't know this before, thanks for the useful information!

waeldiab
12-05-2009, 09:16 PM
thank you so much for your information you have been helpfull.i have another question i see different sizes of movie for example

Inglourious Basterds 2009 1080p BluRay AVC DTS-HD 'size' 41.43GB
Inglourious Basterds 2009 BluRay 1080p DTS x264 dxva-EuReKA 'size' 15.42GB
so what is the difference ?

i see 3 different sizes of blue ray movie, for example

Extract 1080p Bluray x264-CBGB size 6.64GB. is it full Bluray or not.
as i know that the Bluray is big in size.so how do i know weather which is the original one

What would be the best website which offers full blue ray movies... I found on NB site which is on blue ray section, but there is no that much.Is it Hdbits.org have good section for blue ray

xJohnxSmithx
12-05-2009, 10:27 PM
hdbits is the best for what you are after.

full blu ray is the 41.43 bg one
all the others are x264 rips(have been re encoded to a smaller size, probably no menus etc) and may not work on your system.

waeldiab
12-05-2009, 10:34 PM
hdbits is the best for what you are after.

full blu ray is the 41.43 bg one
all the others are x264 rips(have been re encoded to a smaller size, probably no menus etc) and may not work on your system.

thank you so much :) no i know the difference :)

Funkin'
12-06-2009, 09:43 AM
I have wdtv and on my 50 inch samsung I usually watch the 720p version. I don't notice much of a differeance with the 1080p. I do notice a differance between the dd and dts with dts much better on my sound system

Does the WDTV now play DTS? Or do movies with DTS still have to be converted in able to play on it? I read that was the only drawback(and why Popcorn Hour was a better buy) of the WDTV months ago.

vinhkhang01
12-06-2009, 02:23 PM
John, thanks for your clear explanation.
Waeldiab, "I just wanted to know which would be the best to download and what would be the requirements to burn and watch them."
"tv, i have full HD"
"i will buy sound system support dts sound and blue ray player"
The best you can do according to your info above is to download and burn BD5/BD9 which can be played with BR player or PS3 with either AC3/Dolby Digital or DTS depending on the encoders.
BD5 is usu. for 720p and fit in a regular DVD.
BD9 is usu. for 1080p and some cases for 720p and fit in a dual layer disc which costs about $.80 cent to $2 US Dollars in the USA.

For best PQ, there are a few options.
1) If you have a good video card with HDMI/DVI, you can connect that to your TV and download MKV format (8-15G) or full BR (20-45G).
2) If you have a 1080p monitor usu at least 23" or bigger, download MKV.
3) If you have PS3 or BR player with streaming capability, get MKV.

I currently use all 3 options but less often with option 2 since I have big screen 1080p TV. However, for those special movies I want to keep as a collection, I use BD9 and burn to DVD+R DL.

Nestirt
12-06-2009, 02:39 PM
well, wdtv itself doesn't as far as i'm concerned
the only option is to use an amplifier to play dts movies on wdtv

NiKRuLeZ
12-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Related question regarding about the bluray files found on bit-hdtv. All the non ISO's where the folders are in BDMV and CERTIFICATE...are those torrents all 100% untouched? e.g. copied directly from bluray and upped on the tracker?

Cabalo
12-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Related question regarding about the bluray files found on bit-hdtv. All the non ISO's where the folders are in BDMV and CERTIFICATE...are those torrents all 100% untouched? e.g. copied directly from bluray and upped on the tracker?
If you're a member there, why don't you ask it?
I suppose it works on a torrent per torrent basis. but I could be wrong.

brightsid
12-06-2009, 03:19 PM
@Funkin'
The new Wdtv Live supports Dts. For the old model there was a project for DTS passthrough but you'd better check dedicated forums for the results.

hotshot6473
12-06-2009, 03:40 PM
1. A full BluRay disk will be quite big since the video and audio is untouched. They will have a certain file structure just like a DVD(not the same structure though). They can come in .iso format or just the file folders

2. Everything with x264 in the title has been reencoded. Only download internal releases if you want good quality. That means never download scene and also stay away from some shitty internal groups like Eureka and CHD. The best reencodes are from HDBits and HDChina.

3. The only way to play back a full bluray is to either:
A) Burn to disk
B) Playback on the Popcorn Hour C-200(if you get any other all-in-one playback device you are mentally retarded)
C) Put together a HTPC with a videocard that does bitstreaming so you can get full HD audio.

4. The difference between a reencode and the full disk is that the reencode is smaller but has almost the same quality if encoded properly. Never download an encode unless it has a Source to Encode screenshot comparison so you can judge the transparency of the encode.

waeldiab
12-06-2009, 05:58 PM
OMG i download

Transformers.Revenge.of.the.Fallen.2009.MULTi.COMPLETE.BLURAY-HDi

size : 43.7GB from NB site

i shocked with the quality of the sound & screen resolution

really its 100% difference between DVD-R and BD-R

whiteboy
12-06-2009, 06:13 PM
OMG i download

Well hell yah, even a 720p 4gb is gonna look way better then a dvdr.

NiKRuLeZ
12-06-2009, 06:14 PM
OMG i download

Good quality isnt it! Obviously your gonna see an improvement from a standard dvd thats either 4.5gb/9gb to somethings thats 43gb :P

Rart
12-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Is there any advantage to downloading a full bluray iso over say, a 1080p video file?

waeldiab
12-06-2009, 06:20 PM
i dont know which side have bluray iso

but until now i download

Transformers & Inglourious.Basterds as a iso file from NB

hotshot6473
12-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Is there any advantage to downloading a full bluray iso over say, a 1080p video file?

of course there is. Not only will it be better quality since its untouched it will also have HD Audio and all the extras.

In terms of just the movie an encode have very similiar quality if encoded with the proper settings. The people with this ability are very few in this world.

The only way to know if you are getting the same quality as the source is by comparison screenshots or comparison samples

i dont know which side have bluray iso

but until now i download

Transformers & Inglourious.Basterds as a iso file from NB

I will refer you to this thread so you will have a better idea of where full blurays are posted

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-general-bittorrent-43/t-best-fullbluray-tracker-381508

waeldiab
12-06-2009, 06:27 PM
OMG i download

Good quality isnt it! Obviously your gonna see an improvement from a standard dvd thats either 4.5gb/9gb to somethings thats 43gb :P

that's true DVD-R is nothing. once u watch BLURAY movie u will not ever think to watch DVD-R.

Sorry one more thing what is the difference between
Untouched BD25s
Untouched BD50s

hotshot6473
12-06-2009, 07:19 PM

that's true DVD-R is nothing. once u watch BLURAY movie u will not ever think to watch DVD-R.

Sorry one more thing what is the difference between
Untouched BD25s
Untouched BD50s

It depends on the release. You have to read the nfo. I have seen some people say untouched BD25 and then rip out the menus and all extra languages but leave the video untouched.

However some BDs are naturally BD25 and have all that stuff still intact.

Same rules apply for BD50s

waeldiab
12-06-2009, 07:28 PM
thank you so much "hotshot6473"

whiteboy
12-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Honestly waeldiab you dont have to grab the 45gb version to get very good quality. You should try some of the 10-15 gb 1080p mkv's out. They are very good quality and the good ones are pretty much the same as the bd25/50's.

waeldiab
12-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Honestly waeldiab you dont have to grab the 45gb version to get very good quality. You should try some of the 10-15 gb 1080p mkv's out. They are very good quality and the good ones are pretty much the same as the bd25/50's.

i tried "10-15 gb 1080p" actually it's not the same quality it's totally different according the sound and resolution. i am a very kind person and i do like to watch movie's in high quality no matter what size it is.i have already bought my home theater system to watch movie in high resolution.

vinhkhang01
12-06-2009, 09:27 PM
If you have the bandwidth and storage space and see/hear the big difference, then go for the untouched BR.

i tried "10-15 gb 1080p" actually it's not the same quality it's totally different according the sound and resolution. i am a very kind person and i do like to watch movie's in high quality no matter what size it is.i have already bought my home theater system to watch movie in high resolution.

brightsid
12-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Even the best encode is not as good as the original IF you have the right setup to judge

whiteboy
12-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Sure thats all true, and honestly if its not a blind test a lot of the time you can just tell yourself its better. Full BD's have HD audio but you gotta have the ability to play it, especially if you do it from your pc most people dont have the set up to do HD audio.

Brolly
01-02-2010, 03:02 AM
Hey ,

I am new to this forum :)

I have a question for waeldiab.

I was wondering if you can tell me how did you open :

movie ?

I first extracted from Win Rar (HDi-Transformers.2_BLURAY.iso, 44.9 Gb ) and i tried to mount it with Daemon Tools Pro Agent - didnt work , like there are no files inside that one... THEN i opened it with WIn Rar , again , like it seems there are no files inside it.. THEN i tried to open it with Power DVD - wasnt working.... i EVEN opened it with Magic Iso and its said : Failed to read the .Iso file.

its 100% downloaded (i downloaded it from relying torrent site) , my disc is not corrupted , and meanwhile i was extracting, there were no errors .

I am getting frustrated because i really wanna see ,for the first time what the picture quality of Blue-ray movie is like.:cry:

Thanx in advance! :)

hotshot6473
01-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Udf 2.5

Brolly
01-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Hey again !

I just played Transformers.Revenge.of.the.Fallen.2009.MULTi.COMPLETE.BLURAY-HDi

Resolution of the movie is : 1920x1080 pixels

BUT picture wasnt sized to fit all my screen. How come if this is the real 1080p , BluRay doooh ?? :blink:

I have LCD 23" LG W2361V (On resolution 1920x1080 )

Any ideas on why is that?

hotshot6473
01-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Yea learn what an aspect ratio is