PDA

View Full Version : Why do people use seedbox resellers? Wanted custom seedbox but they are closed:(

JGB
12-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Instead of direct from OVH?
For example, what about the RPS system from OVH? It's 20/mo for that, dedicated server/connection, shared HD space.

I'm considering a seedbox, but on a serious budget and since bytesized and custom seedboxes, the two I found highly recommended that are in my price range don't have space available, so I'm considering using that.

If I decide to go with the other two options(assuming they open up), can I share with multiple users, not ftp to 2 different IP's just allow 2 different IP's to add torrent files, so my friend and I can share, since neither of us download very much, but want to upgrade our ratios on two difficult trackers(we have a local shared PC on a single connection for downloading files to ayways), but have other locations we access the net from.

xuxoxux
12-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Umm, people buy from resellers because they are actually able to buy from OVH. I reside in the US, and that means I can't order from OVH directly. :(

JGB
12-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Really? Why's that:S?
Is that only for the USA?
the RPS system seemed great for a small seeder like me, just enough to seed the common torrents to get my ratio up enough so I can dl what I want.

ca_aok
12-09-2009, 07:35 PM
OVH only sells to certain countries.

Personally I just rent my own dedicated server, it's costly but it's fast, flexible, and I have total control over the server.

Valoo
12-09-2009, 07:44 PM
As it is said, OVH doesn't sell to some countries.
Another reason is the fact some people don't have money or the need of a complete server. Some other prefer buying their box to a third party without having to give too much personal details. Indeed OVH can ask for verification identity by phone, adress, ID etc.

Rogi
12-09-2009, 09:24 PM
I tried rps from ovh and they are pretty unreliable for torrenting (inparticular iSCSI). No clue if its me but my rtorrent kept crashing the rps every single time i tried to download for some odd reason. It would start downloading, after about 20 secs the rps became completely unresponsive and only could get it back by doing a hard reset. I tried different linux distributions and rtorrent/libtorrent versions, same thing kept happening.

unoriginal
12-10-2009, 06:17 AM
The guy that runs customseedbox has said that he won't take on any more customers right not and is filling open slots as they become available because people don't renew. If you want to try and get a byte sized slot follow their twitter feed: http://twitter.com/bytesizedboxes as it looks like they announce on there when they open up for new customers.

JGB
12-11-2009, 04:32 AM
I can't afford a dedicated server, Guess I'll just bide my time. I'm not up for paying 20$/mo, tiny sized or bytesized servers are the best I can afford.

aaira
12-11-2009, 04:42 PM
I have mi personal one for ovh and work so good , the problem is when the admins of servers rent more people than the server capacity, for than is beter to be in a one whith not much people

executioner
12-11-2009, 05:12 PM
I tried rps from ovh and they are pretty unreliable for torrenting (inparticular iSCSI). No clue if its me but my rtorrent kept crashing the rps every single time i tried to download for some odd reason. It would start downloading, after about 20 secs the rps became completely unresponsive and only could get it back by doing a hard reset. I tried different linux distributions and rtorrent/libtorrent versions, same thing kept happening.

same as m8 with rtorrent so its not just you. so i would deffo not choose the RPS for seeding torrents

Rogi
12-11-2009, 05:48 PM

same as m8 with rtorrent so its not just you. so i would deffo not choose the RPS for seeding torrents
nice, thanks for letting me know it wasnt me then. :lol:

Thelen
01-09-2010, 11:16 AM

Yea I tried them as well, and running torrents larger than about 350MB TV shows was quite bad. I got only about 600KB/s when running just a single 700MB movie, far less than the 3-5MB/s I got with the TV show. Anyway, with the new setup no-one else is going to try it LOL.

The guy that runs customseedbox has said that he won't take on any more customers right not and is filling open slots as they become available because people don't renew. If you want to try and get a byte sized slot follow their twitter feed: http://twitter.com/bytesizedboxes as it looks like they announce on there when they open up for new customers.

Yea that's the case, I can only fill when people don't renew. I have slowly been getting new servers when there has been a big enough queue, but due to setup costs it isn't really worth it because it takes 2 months to break even :(