PDA

View Full Version : Arcane

Aristocles
12-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Let me begin with an apology: Sorry for this, no doubt, answered question.

I have scratched around a bit today trying to answer the following:

Are the more arcane film files to be found on Usenet or via private/public trackers?

I use a combination of private and public trackers and have found films I would have never thought anyone would have committed to an upload. Obscure silent movies, 'art house' stuff, etc. Is it the case that these files are to be found on Usenet?

My stepson uses Usenet and swears by it, but I wonder if he is searching for anything other than 'new releases'. I suspect he isn't.

I understand that the speed of download is superior on Usenet, unless one employs a seedbox + private tracker, but what about content?

Thanks

Rigel9
12-12-2009, 12:53 AM
The best sources I know are Karagara and Retroflix (private one-click-hoster forum)

4rainertunes
12-12-2009, 03:35 AM
Try Cinemageddon too. They have a lot of obscure flicks.

As to the Usenet v. Torrents question, it's hard to say because I don't have much Usenet experience. My understanding is that Usenet is awesome for scene releases, not so great for obscure files.

anon
12-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Doesn't Cinematik.net also have such material?

My understanding is that Usenet is awesome for scene releases, not so great for obscure files.

I have always heard the same, but then again, I have never really used newsgroups, so no first-hand experience.

kingeater
12-12-2009, 07:53 PM
I've had an astraweb acct for the last 2 years, $11 unmetered, nice stuff, and as long as you don't mind digging through binsearch, and checking the less active forums (a.b.criterion, a.b.karagarga, etc) there is a pretty deep pool of movies there, even dvd9's of movies KG only has the avi for. Hope this helps.

Aristocles
12-13-2009, 02:18 AM
Thanks folks, I think I will stick to torrenting, it just suits me, LOL.

Cinemageddon, Cinematik, Karagara, and Retroflix: So how does one get into these places? Luck? Invite? Good Karma? :)

I am a member of six private sites but mostly lucked into them via this site. Even uploaded my first torrent last night! Amazing thing, 43 years old and figured out how to rip, convert, and upload. Miracles never cease, eh?

dhoparu
12-13-2009, 04:19 AM
Add Secret Cinema to the list...

anon
12-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Cinemageddon, Cinematik, Karagara, and Retroflix: So how does one get into these places? Luck? Invite? Good Karma? :)

Cinemageddon has an invite system, but they open signups when they prune inactive users and there are enough spots left. As for Cinematik, you can find invite code giveaways every now and then in blogs like FILEnetworks. Karagarga is rather generous with invites (I'm a PU there and have 4), and of Retroflix I have no idea. :D

IdolEyes787
12-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Aristocles could you give some examples of the type of films that you are looking for?
Are you talking Cœur fidèle arcane or The Friends of Eddie Doyle arcane?

cinephilia
12-13-2009, 05:12 PM
and of Retroflix I have no idea. :D
retroflix is also invite only (and invites are a bit hard to earn) but you can replace it by http://www.surrealmoviez.info/ (open)

Aristocles
12-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Aristocles could you give some examples of the type of films that you are looking for?
Are you talking Cœur fidèle arcane or The Friends of Eddie Doyle arcane?

I guess it was used in the writ large sense. Generic, or general.

I have never seen "Coeur fidèle" and if you reference the Mitchum film in your other film, I think I watched it ~20 years. I suppose it would qualify.

From "Begotten" to "Memento". . .

retroflix is also invite only (and invites are a bit hard to earn) but you can replace it by http://www.surrealmoviez.info/ (open)

Noted. Thanks!

4rainertunes
12-14-2009, 01:20 AM

I think Retroflix is open signup, at least at the moment. I signed up yesterday (based on this thread) without an invite.

1000possibleclaws
12-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Memento is not really an old film... You can get stuff like that on Goem, Passthepopcorn, and TehConnection, which are all big movie sites.

Aristocles
12-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Memento is not really an old film... You can get stuff like that on Goem, Passthepopcorn, and TehConnection, which are all big movie sites.

Nor is 'Begotten' an old film. I am not sure how"old" is synonymous with "arcane".

I take arcane to mean: "known or understood by only a few". With films, I take them to be arcane if they are not viewed by many (unknown or unwanted) and/or if they are they aren't well grasped, i.e. cryptic.

Duck Soup is an old (1933) Marx bros. film but it's hardly arcane, merely one of legions of examples.

As for 'Memento', it is quite well known and new but is at least somewhat cryptic.

The age of a film only has relevance to it being arcane as an accidental attribute.

I am not familiar with 'Goem'. I thank you for the tip, and will seek it out.

anon
12-14-2009, 07:31 PM
I am not familiar with 'Goem'. I thank you for the tip, and will seek it out.

GoEM = Garden of Eden Movies

You can read a review here:
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/p-tracker-reviews-post2494981/postcount190

cinephilia
12-15-2009, 01:39 AM
I think Retroflix is open signup, at least at the moment. I signed up yesterday (based on this thread) without an invite.
are you sure? obviously, you need an invite code before being able to complete the signup process.

IdolEyes787
12-15-2009, 03:04 AM
I signed up yesterday after 4rainertunes ' post .The invite code was already filled in.

cinephilia
12-15-2009, 03:15 AM
great.
i'd recommend anyone interested in retro movies (pre-1991) to register.

ps: the site is rapidshare only

RainRoofer
12-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Anyone knows what's up with cinemageddon, is it only me or it's offline ?

anon
12-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Yes, it seems to be down here too. But you should use the "trackers down or back up" sticky next time :)