PDA

View Full Version : Is It Safe To Leave A Computer On

Adster
10-13-2003, 03:07 PM
just basically a the topic is the question

I haev my computer on 24/7 can it effect it in the future is it better to leave it on like this??

could the fan wear out?

over heat ect

Kunal
10-13-2003, 03:31 PM
yes its safe

Rip The Jacker
10-13-2003, 04:42 PM
Yup. In fact, I hear from a LOT of people that leaving your computer on 24/7 is actually healthier for your computer.

Kunal
10-13-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by KrackHead2k@13 October 2003 - 16:42
Yup. In fact, I hear from a LOT of people that leaving your computer on 24/7 is actually healthier for your computer.
yes it is! turning it off generates static which can potenitally damage your pc! keep it well ventilated also.

Adster
10-14-2003, 06:10 AM
ok tnx guys

Virtualbody1234
10-14-2003, 06:14 AM
Not this topic again. We just had one about this topic that never seemed to end. ;)

sparsely
10-14-2003, 07:11 AM
Just remember, 90% of all servers are left on 24/7....and some of them are no different in design than your PC.
They're usually on a reboot schedule.
And shutting down your PC isn't bad for it either.

The more important deciding factors are security and environment.
If you can provide your PC with a constant cool temperature (and preferably have a UPS), and it's either in a
secure place or you're not concerned about the security...then leaving it on all the time is fine.

Another option is Standby and Hibernation...check your power options in Windows to set it up. And you may have to
change your BIOS settings, but they're generally set to Suspend-To-RAM now, which is what you want.

Neo 721
10-14-2003, 06:16 PM
The most important server in the UK is the UK's national insurance Tax database, employment records, basicly the identity of everyone in the UK, server located in the second largest bussiness park in the world is left on 24/7 but is kept in a room that is kept down to about 5-9C. If they do it it must be safe, it basicly banks down to cooling.

chinook_apache
10-14-2003, 09:32 PM
lol i like the theory of when its shut down it gain static...that person must be in the physics area lol. i leave my for about 15 hours a day and leave it off during the night. longest i have had it on is 3 days

Neo 721
10-14-2003, 09:38 PM
Most of the over heating occurs from the LED's and things that move.

DWk
10-14-2003, 09:38 PM
all the servers that "host" internet (sites, game servers, files servers) are on 24-7...

and yes its healthier because of the static..

besides....i bet you waste more electricity when u turn it on than when u use it for some time ;)

DWk

abu_has_the_power
10-14-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Sparsely@14 October 2003 - 07:11
Another option is Standby and Hibernation...check your power options in Windows to set it up. And you may have to
change your BIOS settings, but they're generally set to Suspend-To-RAM now, which is what you want.
i have a question. how much power is saved when u stand by? and doesn't standbying also cause elec to run through the comp, causing static?

and also, y are all my fans running when i hibernate? shouldn't they be off?

Wolfmight
10-14-2003, 10:58 PM
It's safe to do.. and yes it's better for the computer.

Before you benchmark tho, turn it off few about 30 mins and make sure the graphics card is 100% cooled. You will get a slight increase in benchmark score. ( I know i got 500 more points in Aquamark)
Dont let this temp u to just start turning off and on, cause it's more painfull for your graphics card to startup and shutdown your computer everyday than leaving it on constantly (only extremely slightly slower sometimes.. you cant tell, so it's worth having it last longer)