PDA

View Full Version : kimsufi.. setup a domain?

McLovin
12-16-2009, 09:47 PM
is it possible to setup a domain with kimsufi ubuntu?

WakeMeUp
12-16-2009, 10:11 PM
I don't know that particular case, but assuming you have a dedicated server all you need is to buy a domain name - or use just the IP address of your server. You'll need something like XAMPP for linux to easily set up Apache, PHP and MySQL properly to get a webserver.

brgroup
12-17-2009, 04:18 AM
Yes, like WakeMeUp says, easy setup XAMPP (Google it)..
Your IP will resolve to port 80 -

Because you don't have your own Domain nameservers setup for you on the OVH box, you need to setup your domain zones with nameservers..

Or make life easy and use ZoneEdit.com for 5 free domain zones..You'll attach the Domain Name to the IP address of you OVH box..Namecheap also has a Free DNS Hosting service that's great..

Then, at your domain registrar, point the nameservers to the ones that ZoneEdit provides..

You'll be creating a Virtual Hosts in apache if you have multiple domains..You'll need to google that..

McLovin
12-22-2009, 01:19 AM
well.. I have XAMPP installed.. and it's up and running when i went to localhost on the machine. now i'm attempting to setup the nameservers.

I already have a domain with godaddy. so I created an account on zoneedit and setup a new zone.. added my domain name.. went to godaddy and put the 2 NS's it gave me in.. and now i'm waiting for it to propigate.. clicked on "IP Addresses (A)" in zone edit and added a rule for domain.com and www.domain.com and put my kimsufi ip for both rules. is this correct?

..or should I have used my kimsufi IP when I created the zone on zoneedit instead of using the domain? .. and then add the 2 NS's it gave me for my domain on godaddy?

confused.

Slickerey
12-22-2009, 01:32 AM
Yeah, that is what your supposed to be doing. You're going to need two nameservers or if you want to set up your own then just ask OVH for 2 IP addresses. Setting up a nameserver isn't hard at all if you know what you're doing.

If you want an easy way to do this, then you should try installing cPanel on your server.

McLovin
12-22-2009, 01:35 AM
updated my post when you were typing your reply..

sorry about that.

Slickerey
12-22-2009, 01:38 AM
Can you do anything on GoDaddy that lets you point your domain to a certain IP address?

There is a function in cPanel that allows one to do this, but I'm guessing that we're going to be working without cPanel here. :P

Try to point your domain to your Kimsufi's IP address.

McLovin
12-22-2009, 02:30 AM
actually it worked.

now i just have to figure out to configure xampp..

i followed this post: http://www.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?p=143147#p143147

and commented out the deny from all.. and i can now do what i was accomplishing..

but what i'm wondering is.. is this secure? .. should I be setting it up another way?

Slickerey
12-22-2009, 03:00 AM
Most, if not all, posts from ApacheFriends.org should be trusted since they are being monitored. I like your site.

Fapping material... :lol:

McLovin
12-22-2009, 03:13 AM
yeah, it's kinda just a placeholder.. joke site.

but it makes for good emails.

brgroup
12-22-2009, 04:43 AM
Hey McLovin,
Looking good..I've never seen that error before, but it seems that if you want your site public, you'll need to configure that setting and Allow connections from all IP's..As far as security, I'd think that any port 80 traffic you get is handled by Apache as normal.

Good luck!

McLovin
12-28-2009, 02:32 PM
can anyone help me out that has knowledge with XAMPP? I'm getting a few errors that I wasn't getting on the stie when I hosted it somewhere else.. so I'm guessing the php/mysql isn't setup properly or something.

I have root access, if you could login and help me fix it.. don't have any money.. so not sure what I can offer.. maybe an invite to waffles/what.cd/torrentleech or something?

if you have an IM name.. just PM me your details, and i'll add you. I have msn/yahoo/aim