PDA

View Full Version : torrent proxy

executioner
12-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Hi, a few months ago i saw an advertising here on FST about a proxy service to use torrents through.
I have searched but i am unable to find it, does anyone know of the service im talking about or of another service that is the same.:D

anon
12-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Is this what you're looking for?
http://btguard.com/

xuxoxux
12-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Well, I only know of Ipredator made by the same crew of TPB.
https://www.ipredator.se/

Just be sure to check that the trackers you plan to use it with allow something like this.

Edit: Anon, ya beat me by a minute. XD

anon
12-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Isn't iPredator a VPN service? VPN != proxy, unless all the thread starter wants is hiding his IP. :happy:

xuxoxux
12-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Isn't iPredator a VPN service? VPN != proxy, unless all the thread starter wants is hiding his IP. :happy:

I assumed he wants to hide IP. Plus, vpn > proxy in speed, which I would assume is also important, no?

anon
12-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Plus, vpn > proxy in speed, which I would assume is also important, no?

Depends on the service - if both have fast lines, it's the same :) Also, with a proxy you have the advantage of choosing which apps you want to tunnel, instead of all your network traffic. The proxy can't take incoming connections for you, though.

I once used the BTGuard trial and maxed out the 2Mbit I had at the time. No idea of how it is now.

xuxoxux
12-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Plus, vpn > proxy in speed, which I would assume is also important, no?
The proxy can't take incoming connections for you, though.

Wouldn't that limit the scope? So no "Connectable"? lol

anon
12-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Wouldn't that limit the scope? So no "Connectable"? lol

Yes, you're right.

jimmyg123
12-22-2009, 09:32 PM
I never used a proxy, what are the advantages of using one. Is it a safer way of using bt, I know its not allowed on some sites, but is it banned from all site.

anon
12-22-2009, 09:35 PM
I never used a proxy, what are the advantages of using one.

You hide your real IP. This is very nice for security reasons, but trackers don't like proxies because of that same thing - for them, hiding your IP means you've had an account in the past.

Most are OK with VPNs, but if in doubt, ask their staff first.

but is it banned from all site.

Not all sites. :unsure:

jimmyg123
12-22-2009, 10:00 PM
You hide your real IP. This is very nice for security reasons, but trackers don't like proxies because of that same thing - for them, hiding your IP means you've had an account in the past.

Most are OK with VPNs, but if in doubt, ask their staff first.

but is it banned from all site.Not all sites. :unsure:

Thank you for the info, but im going to stay clear from proxy, because i dont want to jeopardize any of my sites. Does VPN or PG2 keep you safe from anti p2p organizations?

anon
12-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Does VPN or PG2 keep you safe from anti p2p organizations?

PeerGuardian is nice, but not 100% perfect - don't overrely on it. A VPN is a lot better since your real IP is not seen at all, but you must pay for the good providers.

jimmyg123
12-22-2009, 10:17 PM
What is a good VPN Provider that you would recommend that is accepted on most trackers.

anon
12-22-2009, 10:20 PM
What is a good VPN Provider that you would recommend

I don't know - fortunately I've never had to pay to enhance my P2P security :lol:

You should wait for someone else to reply :)