PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS Downloads?

Fishy2
12-27-2009, 11:57 PM
Hi FST peeps :)

As per the title .... my kids got DS's as crimbo gifts and just wanted to ask for oppinions and specifics on both good sites for downloading and methods of using downloaded DS files?

Thanks for reviews opinions or tips in advance guys n girls

:D

anon
12-27-2009, 11:58 PM
I'm not into this stuff, but nTorrents seems to be a good Nintendo tracker. I gave my account away yesterday, but if you make a request you'll probably get an invite.

centuryfog
12-28-2009, 12:50 AM
i used to work for a ds developer. get an r4 cartridge. they are relatively cheap and you can store a ton of games on there. you basically download whatever roms you want and then transfer to the cart via usb. you can also play mp3 or other formats but im not sure why you would want to play mp3 on a ds.

http://www.r4ds.com/

also bitgamer has alot of ds roms. pm me if you are interested in joining

respawn40
12-28-2009, 02:36 AM
I think the best card to get is the CycloDS. It's certainly pricier than the other cards, but well worth it I think. Hasn't failed me yet.

Funkin'
12-28-2009, 06:43 AM
I agree with Respawn. I have several flashcarts(slot 1 and slot 2) and the CycloDS is my most used. With the Supercard DSOne being my second most used(for slot 1's).

Either one of these would be your best simply because both have great teams behind them supporting them, and many features. So they get frequent firmware updates. The Supercard Team is working on a whole new firmware for their slot 1 cart and should be released anytime now. So you may want to wait until that gets released to see how good it is before purchasing any.

But nevertheless, you can't go wrong with either of them. If you're in the US you can buy them from RealHotStuff (http://www.realhotstuff.com/). I've been using them for about four years now, and have never had one mishap. They are some of the nicest guys.

As for downloading DS games, I wouldn't bother with torrent trackers. DS games are so small that it's just not needed(unless you want packs of DS games). The two sites I use, pretty exclusively, for DS games(and GBA, SNES, NES, Genesis, etc games) are:

Emuparadise (http://www.emuparadise.org/)
Romulation (http://www.romulation.net/)

ljepava
12-28-2009, 09:44 AM
ftp://71.57.245.221/DS%20Games/

Fishy2
12-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the pointers guys, I'm uk based but plenty of pointers for me to be getting on with :)

Merry Crimbo to all :fst:

ghurka
12-28-2009, 10:45 AM
I've used 2 sites in the past and found both to be cheap and reliable

http://www.7dayshop.com based in Guernsey

http://www.dealextreme.com/ based in Hong Kong

If your kids have got DSi's then the normal flash carts won't work with them. You'll need something like the R4i.

Fishy2
12-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Not Dsi just the Ds so just an R4 should do the job

CBen
12-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Hi

I have one similar question My son got one DS Lite and i dont know how to flash or what i have to do if i wants play downloaded game .Please anyone can tel me or explain me how to do this? Or i only need to buy that card and download one game and just copy it into card and play..or something more..? Which card i can use for DS lite?

Lastly sorry for hijacking another persons thread.........

Funkin'
12-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Just to let you know, DealExtreme is a pretty good site with a ton of stuff for pretty cheap. And it has free shipping. But you'll probably wait a good few weeks, possibly up to a month for your order to arrive. My experience with them(bought from them three times) it took them about a week just to ship my orders out.

But like I said, they're cheap with free shipping. So if you're patient then they're a good site to buy from.

And CBen, it's not necessary to flash your DS. I did it a few years ago(and it's still flashed), but it's served no purpose at all. Flashing the DS's firmware is suppose to make the DS recoverable if you accidentally "brick" it, by installing bad homebrew onto it or something like that. But I've never had any problems. Plus the flashing process itself is pretty tricky. You can actually brick your DS by messing up the flash process.

All you need is a flashcart, like the ones listed in this thread already. Then just download the DS and transfer the roms onto the cart and you're ready to go.

Nice. Thanks.

centuryfog
12-28-2009, 01:42 PM
ive only used the r4 carts at my work but basically there is small usb chip that ejects from the cart. you plug that in and copy over the roms and then insert the usb chip back into the cart and play. the carts for the ds and ds lite are the same.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/centuryfog/r4.gif

your files you transfer over should be .nds file format. try googling r4 tutorials if you are having trouble

CBen
12-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks.. So basically if i buy that card r4 and download one DS game thn only need to copy that game into r4 card via usb or something and thats it...........

Just one more thing if i need to install any software or something( i really dont know anything about it) ?

ragincajun77
12-28-2009, 03:45 PM
Just to let you know, DealExtreme is a pretty good site with a ton of stuff for pretty cheap. And it has free shipping. But you'll probably wait a good few weeks, possibly up to a month for your order to arrive. My experience with them(bought from them three times) it took them about a week just to ship my orders out.

But like I said, they're cheap with free shipping. So if you're patient then they're a good site to buy from.

And CBen, it's not necessary to flash your DS. I did it a few years ago(and it's still flashed), but it's served no purpose at all. Flashing the DS's firmware is suppose to make the DS recoverable if you accidentally "brick" it, by installing bad homebrew onto it or something like that. But I've never had any problems. Plus the flashing process itself is pretty tricky. You can actually brick your DS by messing up the flash process.

All you need is a flashcart, like the ones listed in this thread already. Then just download the DS and transfer the roms onto the cart and you're ready to go.

Nice. Thanks.

^^^^I'm with stupid! Ordered both my flash cards from DealExtreme (DSTT and Ackard 2i) for about $10 a piece. It took about a week but you can't beat their prices.

ghurka
12-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks.. So basically if i buy that card r4 and download one DS game thn only need to copy that game into r4 card via usb or something and thats it...........

Just one more thing if i need to install any software or something( i really dont know anything about it) ?What you need:
R4 cart (or similar)
SD or SDHC micro card (formatted to FAT16 or FAT32)
Firmware
Downloaded .nds files

The firmware for the R4 can be found quite easy just googling it. Download the firmware, put that on the SD/SDHC micro card with the.nds files. The SD card then goes in the R4 and it all then goes in the DS in the game cartridge slot. Turn it on and you should get a menu listing all the games on the SD card.

If you're still not sure have a look on youtube. There are some good tutorials on there.

In theory you could literally put as many .nds files on the SD card as fit but that is not recommended as each time you play a game you create/increase a .sav file which saves the game for you. Just be careful how much you try to fit on there as you don't want to corrupt the card.

CBen
12-29-2009, 12:04 AM

Just one more thing if i need to install any software or something( i really dont know anything about it) ?What you need:
R4 cart (or similar)
SD or SDHC micro card (formatted to FAT16 or FAT32)
Firmware
Downloaded .nds files

The firmware for the R4 can be found quite easy just googling it. Download the firmware, put that on the SD/SDHC micro card with the.nds files. The SD card then goes in the R4 and it all then goes in the DS in the game cartridge slot. Turn it on and you should get a menu listing all the games on the SD card.

If you're still not sure have a look on youtube. There are some good tutorials on there.

In theory you could literally put as many .nds files on the SD card as fit but that is not recommended as each time you play a game you create/increase a .sav file which saves the game for you. Just be careful how much you try to fit on there as you don't want to corrupt the card.

Great..thanks just one more question ..example if i put 2 or 3 games files on the card and after finish that game possible to remove it and put another new game or i have buy new card again ?

Anyone have idea about this card Acekard 2i?

cRaZyzMaN
12-29-2009, 01:21 AM
acekard is better than r4i, use an high speed card to run the games

CBen
12-29-2009, 01:43 AM
4GB Micro SD (micro sdhc high capacity) and Acekard 2i what you think ..good enough or need something better?

respawn40
12-29-2009, 03:26 AM
I forgot to mention this, but it's better to have a high speed card to put your ROM's on. A Class 6 card is ideal.