PDA

View Full Version : Bitgamer moves to gazelle

Tv Controls you
12-28-2009, 12:15 AM
Happy holidays and season's greetings to all of our lovely members here at bitGAMER! We hope you're enjoying your end-of-year week and all it encompasses.

As some of you may have guessed by the header image of this news post, we have a rather large announcement to make:

We're moving to Gazelle!!

For those of you who don't know, bitGAMER is currently run on a (very heavily) edited version of TorrentBits' original TBDev codebase. At the time of bitGAMER's start, this was essentially the only serious choice for a site, so genius coders hunkered down and built a stable, if inefficient site. However, since then, the fine folk at http://what.cd have created a new codebase for torrent sites, codenamed "Gazelle". As well as being lightning fast, it's also lightweight, efficient, standards-compliant and graphically customisable. For the last four months or so, our crack team of coders has been hard at work converting the base music-site source into the next step in bitGAMER's evolution, bitGAMER 2.0.
// bG Staff

*Article shortened

Can't wait for the move. I love bitgamer and I think that this move will give them a boost in reputation that will make them raise in the ranks.

I'm very interested to see the outcome of this move, as I can't recall any other game tracker sites running on gazelle (atleast major ones).

Wanting to see fst's reaction/thoughts on this all.

Personally it caught me off guard as bitgamer's current layout works very well.

respawn40
12-28-2009, 02:35 AM
Now if only Underground-Gamer would do that...

Slickerey
12-28-2009, 03:20 AM
Interesting... Let's see if this works out for them

Aren't they sister sites or some shit?

Cabalo
12-28-2009, 03:29 AM

yes, they are.
Probably the gazelle indexing would work better on UG, as it has so many categories and subcategories.
Good move on BG.

Rart
12-28-2009, 03:48 AM

yes, they are.
Probably the gazelle indexing would work better on UG, as it has so many categories and subcategories.
Good move on BG.

Gazelle's grouping system would certainly work well with a games tracker, with NTSC/PAL versions of a game. Not exactly sure how well that would work with UG, I don't really see how old retro games could be "grouped", as there aren't too many different versions of the same thing.

Then again, Gazelle works perfectly fine even without grouping. Sites like TV run much more efficiently and smoothly, and load times are great.

I'm psyched :).

Funkin'
12-28-2009, 06:44 AM
This is going to be nice. Can't wait for it. I wouldn't mind seeing BCG move to Gazelle also.

Tv Controls you
12-28-2009, 06:50 AM
This is going to be nice. Can't wait for it. I wouldn't mind seeing BCG move to Gazelle also.

Ya I'm interested to see the impact this has on BCG.

stoi
12-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Not sure why this will have an effect on us, but just for the record, we are contemplating opening a movie tracker, which will be using the gazelle code, if that is a success, then we may migrate the games tracker to gazelle as well.

but as you know, atm we are short of coders, and the coders we have got are busy with their real lives, so any coding has sort of ground to a halt recently.

If we were a global ratio only tracker, then the migration to gazelle would probably be easy, but as we have mods on that make us stand out from the rest (SP for one) then it is harder to migrate.

but we will see what transpires in 2010, just got no promises atm, its all specualtion of what we are going to do.

PS: would just like to add, good luck to them with it, I have never, and never will see another tracker as competition to BCG, we are all in this for 1 reason, sharing, which is why we dont have that silly rule where you cant upload torrents on BCG to other sites, i dont care if they get more seeders/leechers than us, or faster pre-times, or anything really, they do what they do, we do what we do, if a member likes them better, so be it, i am not fussed at all.

The_Martinator
12-28-2009, 02:50 PM
yes, they are.
Good move on BG.

Gazelle's grouping system would certainly work well with a games tracker, with NTSC/PAL versions of a game. Not exactly sure how well that would work with UG, I don't really see how old retro games could be "grouped", as there aren't too many different versions of the same thing.

Then again, Gazelle works perfectly fine even without grouping. Sites like TV run much more efficiently and smoothly, and load times are great.

I'm psyched :).

Erm, games released for multiple systems, maybe? IDK, just guessing.

PS: The NTSC/PAL thing is a bit older than you think.

dvdasacd
12-29-2009, 02:34 PM
woohoo! May the best (codebase) win. simple as that.

Rart
12-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Not sure why this will have an effect on us, but just for the record, we are contemplating opening a movie tracker, which will be using the gazelle code, if that is a success, then we may migrate the games tracker to gazelle as well.

TBH I really don't see the opening for yet another movie site. There are too many sites out there, like PTP, TC, PTN, any of those special codec sites like x264, etc. etc. Unless there was a massive initial dedicated userbase, I don't really think there's much space to succeed.

Then again, I would really like to see BCG up and running on Gazelle. I think it's one of the few things that could really improve the site, but as you said BCG does have many custom made features. Recruit some more coders!

OlegL
12-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Not to stray from the topic, but, stoi, you can open a hi-def tracker that will become better than hdbits. There are some BDs that were never uploaded to hdbits, so this tracker will have a bigger collection of BDs than hdbits ever had. I know it's not about a competition between different trackers; I am just saying that your tracker, if it comes into existence, will have a larger collection of BDs.

Cabalo
12-29-2009, 05:32 PM
You're quite the optimist, aren't you?

OlegL
12-29-2009, 05:37 PM
More than an optimist; I just know how things will turn out if that tracker comes into existence.

Cabalo
12-29-2009, 05:43 PM
More than an optimist; I just know how things will turn out if that tracker comes into existence.
You think you would mind telling me how's 2010 going to be, if I will have a prosperous year, etc etc? :blushing:

OlegL
12-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Oh, I can't make any predictions about 2010.

TrollinThunder
12-29-2009, 07:18 PM
What about 2012?

OlegL
12-29-2009, 07:25 PM
I am not God, so I can't make any predictions about what will happen in the future.

TrollinThunder
12-29-2009, 07:37 PM
Are you sure? :/

OlegL
12-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Maybe if I start smoking weed more often, I'll become God, but I rarely smoke weed. But let's stay on topic here. The topic is about gazelle. :)

KushBlow
12-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Hm I thought Gazelle was taking the backdoor to TBdev as of recent. Guess not :).

TrollinThunder
12-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Gazelles run fast.

eldiesel
12-29-2009, 08:03 PM

but as you know, atm we are short of coders, and the coders we have got are busy with their real lives, so any coding has sort of ground to a halt recently.

If we were a global ratio only tracker, then the migration to gazelle would probably be easy, but as we have mods on that make us stand out from the rest (SP for one) then it is harder to migrate.

but we will see what transpires in 2010, just got no promises atm, its all specualtion of what we are going to do.

PS: would just like to add, good luck to them with it, I have never, and never will see another tracker as competition to BCG, we are all in this for 1 reason, sharing, which is why we dont have that silly rule where you cant upload torrents on BCG to other sites, i dont care if they get more seeders/leechers than us, or faster pre-times, or anything really, they do what they do, we do what we do, if a member likes them better, so be it, i am not fussed at all.

There are very good movies trackers around . Don't waste your time and focus on BCG , If you can move to gazelle it will be awesome .

stoi
12-29-2009, 08:06 PM
So does TBdev, I am not going to get into a whats better argument, but the stock TBdev does not use XBTT but a php announce, the defualt gazelle runs XBTT and does not have a php announce at all, so of course Gazelle is going to be faster and more efficient, once Gazelle comes out with a PHP announce that is fast and efficient (not as good as XBTT as that is nigh on impossible, but faster than the tbdev PHP announce, then i will sit up and take notice.)

as for there are to many movie trackers already, i heard that with BCG, we have bitconsole/seedersparadise-torrentlab whats the point, well where are they now and where are we.

Nothing is impossible, yes it wont be easy but i believe that we could pull it off.

and for getting more coders, easier said than done.

Funkin'
12-30-2009, 03:06 AM
Have you given any thoughts to whether this new movie tracker will also have the SP mod?

stoi
12-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Well i want it to saying as though thats the 1 mod that makes us stand out from the rest, and if we can get it on that tracker we can then get it on the games tracker.

but like i said, its all speculation.

cinephilia
12-30-2009, 05:10 PM
let's face it, there would be no point in creating an umptieth movie tracker.
every single category (classics, collections, experimental, short films, full DVDs...) that makes a comprehensive movie tracker are already covered by numerous sites such as karagarga, cinematik, passthepopcorn, tehconnection, goem, iTS, secret-cinema etc...

no offense but i think you already have a lot on your plate with BCG.

stoi
12-30-2009, 05:21 PM
like i said, i dont care what others think tbh, we have the servers to do it, its not like it will cost any more cash (or i hope not) its just coding and time thats the problem.

we have 34,000 members of BCG that we can migrate over to the movie tracker, OK not all of them will like it, but even if just 10% use it, then we are alredy on par with iTS (i think they have about 3,000 members anyway), and who says we need a lot of members to be a success.

Like i said, i am not naive enough to think it will be a walk in the park, but i am also not scared enough to not even give it a try. (only hing that will stop us is time, not there are to many already out there), also like i said earlier, i dont see any tracker as competition, so all those trackers that you mentioned, so what????

cinephilia
12-30-2009, 05:36 PM
we have 34,000 members of BCG that we can migrate over to the movie tracker, OK not all of them will like it, but even if just 10% use it, then we are alredy on par with iTS (i think they have about 3,000 members anyway), and who says we need a lot of members to be a success.
yes, you don't need a lof of members, but you need dedicated ones and i highly doubt you will find them among your members.
c'mon, gamers are rarely "familiar" with classics and independent movies...

Like i said, i am not naive enough to think it will be a walk in the park, but i am also not scared enough to not even give it a try. (only hing that will stop us is time, not there are to many already out there), also like i said earlier, i dont see any tracker as competition, so all those trackers that you mentioned, so what????
competition or not, why would people give time and efforts in your tracker while plenty of others already offer a comprehensive library?

stoi
12-30-2009, 05:45 PM
So does Usenet, so does Emule, really dont see your point, Bitconsole covered all console games, Torrentlab all Xbox games, even Gamestorrents/TPB/ISOhunt etc etc even TL and other general trackers offer a lot of the games we offer, but we still survive.

so i really do not see your point at all, you know what they say, if you build it they will come.

And why cant we have dediscated movie goers from our games members, i just cant see how you can say that at all, its not like members just like 1 thing or the other, they will like both, so sorry dont understand that comment either.

any way this is going way off the OPs topic, i never started this about us, there were 2 posts mentioning BCG before i even posted, and yet again its gone off on a tangent egarding BCG and not bitgamer, lets get back on topic please.

cinephilia
12-30-2009, 06:01 PM
in my eyes, a tracker can't be created just to "survive", it must bring something new on the table with the future in mind.
anyway, back on topic as you say.