PDA

View Full Version : terrorism

sez
12-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Is the war on terror a losing war?
The reason am asking this is coz while the troops were hunting for osama in afghanistan,some random guy from Nigeria almost blew up a plane.
This is no longer about 9/11 but rather an ideology.
So where exactly are the frontlines you think?

megabyteme
12-29-2009, 03:10 AM
I believe both the Left and Right needed issues in order to be seen as necessary. The Left took on "Global Warming" and the Right took "Terrorism". Both sides are chasing the Boogieman for all I can see.

These are both long-term, undefined "problems" that cause fear in the masses. With fear comes control leadership.

clocker
12-29-2009, 03:21 AM
Is the war on terror a losing war?
For whom?

The reason am asking this is coz while the troops were hunting for osama in afghanistan,some random guy from Nigeria almost blew up a plane.
Nobody is hunting Osama in Afghanistan, everyone knows he's in Pakistan and Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab is hardly "some random guy".
"Some random guy" makes it seem he woke up that morning and decided to strap explosives to his crotch instead of stopping at Starbucks on the way to work.
Abdulmutallab planned an attack, obtained explosives through Yemenese contacts and then boarded the plane fully expecting to destroy it.
Hardly a "random guy", hardly a random act.

This is no longer about 9/11 but rather an ideology.
Huh?

So where exactly are the frontlines you think?
There are no front lines or, to be more accurate, every place is a front line, so the concept loses it's validity.
In warfare, "lines" are very expensive to maintain- in terms of both personnel and supplies- and imply that you're not only serious about acquiring the disputed territory but staying and defending it as well.

A religious extremist isn't fighting for buildings or land or oil, he's fighting for souls and <insert name of deity here>.
A terrorist doesn't want Pittsburgh, he wants everybody in Pittsburgh to submit to his religious mania. Beyond that, the city is irrelevant.

When your worldview is ME/MINE> everybody else, the world is a target rich environment.

From a defensive standpoint the concept of "frontline" is equally absurd.
Any highly industrial/technological society that isn't a police state is nothing but soft underbelly.
Our infrastructure is so large, so complex and so antiquated that "defending" it's myriad facets in any meaningful way is impossible.
We are dependent on such a wide array of services that something as trivial- and predictable- as a snowstorm results in deaths.

Even the ripples from the hare-brained, failed Detroit attack caused enough impact to affect hundreds of thousands of people ( basically, every air traveler during the holiday weekend).
For all intents and purposes, Abdulmutallab's attack was as successful in failure as had the plane exploded.
Exposing the fact that we have no effective defense against the dedicated terrorist is almost as devastating as racking up a body count.

Given that defense is not an option, offense is all that's left.
Therefore, we define the "frontlines", such as they are.

Unfortunately we are trained and equipped to fight an enemy who is similar to ourselves.
Put some tanks in the way and we know what to do.
A couple of guys in an anonymous kitchen with a few pounds of explosives stymie us.
We're not as fluid and stateless as the enemy and the current situation has more than one parallel to Vietnam, hard fought lessons that we refuse to accept.

Totti
12-29-2009, 08:27 AM
As an Israeli the war an terror is no being lost at least not in Israel, the amount of suicide bombings and terror acts have gone down dramatically compared to five years before since the government decided to build the separation wall. Yes the Gaza strip has converted to rockets but that too is trying to get stopped by the Egyptians who are digging under the ground and installing a metal barrier to stop the tunnel smuggling. In my opinion once the world wakes up and understands who they are dealing with and are unites like the all the Arab nations are unites in there opinion of destroying the western civilization it will solve the pronblem once and for all.

Glitterstep
12-29-2009, 08:41 AM
As as Indian,i have been watching terrorist activities take place,such as bombings,shootings,and on and on...The present government is not taking any initiative to nab down the LeT chief who was responsible for the Mumbai 26/11 attacks.The LeT chief is now in pakistan and is living life freely.

Hafeez is supposed to be a close aide of Osama and also assisted Osama against the USSR invasion of Afghanistan.
Pakistan is like the epi-centre of terrorism.

@SEZ- Nice thread bro.

Also wanted all of you'll to download and watch this documentary on what happened exactly in Mumbai on 26th of november.
I have uploaded it on bitspyder and bitme.org.

Dispatches - Terror In Mumbai

The untold story of 2008's terrorist attack on the Indian city of Mumbai. The story is told in the words of its victims and the gunmen. Produced and directed by award-winning filmmaker Dan Reed, Terror in Mumbai tells the story of what happened when 10 gunmen held one of the world's busiest cities hostage; killing and wounding hundreds of people while holding India's crack security forces at bay.

l33tpirata13
12-29-2009, 02:49 PM
As as Indian,i have been watching terrorist activities take place,such as bombings,shootings,and on and on...The present government is not taking any initiative to nab down the LeT chief who was responsible for the Mumbai 26/11 attacks.The LeT chief is now in pakistan and is living life freely.

Hafeez is supposed to be a close aide of Osama and also assisted Osama against the USSR invasion of Afghanistan.
Pakistan is like the epi-centre of terrorism.

@SEZ- Nice thread bro.

Also wanted all of you'll to download and watch this documentary on what happened exactly in Mumbai on 26th of november.
I have uploaded it on bitspyder and bitme.org.

Dispatches - Terror In Mumbai

The untold story of 2008's terrorist attack on the Indian city of Mumbai. The story is told in the words of its victims and the gunmen. Produced and directed by award-winning filmmaker Dan Reed, Terror in Mumbai tells the story of what happened when 10 gunmen held one of the world's busiest cities hostage; killing and wounding hundreds of people while holding India's crack security forces at bay.

well if there is a solution, the US is not it....They do a lot of bullshit to their own people. make us pay for their shit for nothing in return... American are being abused by their own government. how can we ever set any kind of example?

Ever seen people in our ghettos? its fukt up. why is it that i see so so so many amputees here but rarely in the rich neighborhoods? ill tell you why. The government doesnt care about poor people or non whites. katrina proved that, not that i needed that as proof. i mean really look at all the people protesting now, the "teabaggers". does it look to you like they are fighting for a cause? HELL NO! they are fighting because they are scared white folk acting on racist sensabilities.......
in the words of my favorite comedian BILL HICKS, "cant ya see it"?

we are set up on a system that compromises with rich criminals but kills innocent men and women based on opinions. this is fact. If the US ever wants to change something, it has to change itself first.

Glitterstep
12-29-2009, 03:00 PM
^^ To an extent,according to news reporters here in India,is that the US has always been aiding Pakistan,even though they know for a fact that pakistan uses them for buying arms and then supplies it back to the terrorists forces.

Terrorists Chief run their terror cell operations freely in Pakistan.

Totti
12-29-2009, 04:05 PM
^^ To an extent,according to news reporters here in India,is that the US has always been aiding Pakistan,even though they know for a fact that pakistan uses them for buying arms and then supplies it back to the terrorists forces.

That's not news back in the 1980's the cia funded bin laden to fight against Sadam how very ironic that is, people forget the past quickly the world was against Israel bombing the nuclear core in Iraq and now they are against bombing the nuclear core in Iran when Iran has openly declared that they do not recognize Israel as state and will wipe us off the map

S3v3N
12-29-2009, 05:36 PM
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Glitterstep
12-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Iran has openly declared that they do not recognize Israel as state and will wipe us off the map

Israel and India are very good allies.Infact India has requested Israel forces to come to India and train the Indian army here.(this was immediately after the 26/11 Mumbai attacks )

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

TRUE FACT.

S3v3N
12-29-2009, 10:30 PM
As an Israeli the war an terror is no being lost at least not in Israel, the amount of suicide bombings and terror acts have gone down dramatically compared to five years before since the government decided to build the separation wall. Yes the Gaza strip has converted to rockets but that too is trying to get stopped by the Egyptians who are digging under the ground and installing a metal barrier to stop the tunnel smuggling. In my opinion once the world wakes up and understands who they are dealing with and are unites like the all the Arab nations are unites in there opinion of destroying the western civilization it will solve the pronblem once and for all.

Arab governments are allies to Israel and the USA :whistling.

S3v3N
12-29-2009, 10:44 PM

That's not news back in the 1980's the cia funded bin laden to fight against Sadam how very ironic that is, people forget the past quickly the world was against Israel bombing the nuclear core in Iraq and now they are against bombing the nuclear core in Iran when Iran has openly declared that they do not recognize Israel as state and will wipe us off the map

CIA funded Bin Laden's fight against Saddam :blink:
You mean against the Soviet domination of Afghanistan.

1000possibleclaws
12-29-2009, 10:58 PM
The last big terrorist attacks that I can remember are the Madrid train bombing, and 9-11. I don't know too much into terrorism, and don't really follow the war in Afghanistan though. From my perspective, terrorism is under control in the Western World, which is what matters to me personally.

I'm sure we are far away from complete world peace though. Some countries will always have it bad, at least for our current generation.

Totti
12-29-2009, 11:17 PM
The last big terrorist attacks that I can remember are the Madrid train bombing, and 9-11. I don't know too much into terrorism, and don't really follow the war in Afghanistan though. From my perspective, terrorism is under control in the Western World, which is what matters to me personally.

I'm sure we are far away from complete world peace though. Some countries will always have it bad, at least for our current generation.

World peace is an illusion that will never come true some country will always be pissed off at another country for one reason or another