PDA

View Full Version : DVD-R VS HD VS Blu-ray Vs X264

waeldiab
12-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Heay Guys

Just wanted to know what format of movies would you like to download the most and give me the reason why ?

DVD-R
HD
Blu-ray
X264

to start of,i mostly like to download and watch Blu-ray & DVD-R

kurdt
12-29-2009, 10:24 PM
x264 blu-ray rips because it's a perfect balance of image size to image quality. but i like quality x-vid dvd rips too because of the small size

Rogi
12-29-2009, 10:25 PM
x264 bluray's usually 720's and some 1080 for worthy movies. preferably quality non-scene encodes. Not to fond of scene encodes imo.

anon
12-29-2009, 10:28 PM
DVD-R
HD
Blu-ray
X264

XviD. Good quality and filesize.

waeldiab
12-29-2009, 10:33 PM
DVD-R
HD
Blu-ray
X264

XviD. Good quality and filesize.

but i think X264 much better XviD

anon
12-29-2009, 10:38 PM
but i think X264 much better XviD

I have to reencode movies for my hiPhone, which has a 320x240 screen, so as long as the quality isn't bad it doesn't matter :P

Tokeman
12-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Used to dl xvid (dvdrip) and dvdr for good movies. Now that i have a better monitor, I grab the x264 rips instead of dvdr, and only grab bluray xvid rips for smaller size, as they still look good when the old xvids do not anymore (blocky)

Totti
12-29-2009, 10:50 PM
I like d/l full dvdrs because of their superior quality over any rip. I have a home theater projector so quality is very important to me plus they are easy for me to burn

Tokeman
12-29-2009, 10:54 PM
I like d/l full dvdrs because of their superior quality over any rip. I have a home theater projector so quality is very important to me plus they are easy for me to burn

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but DVDR is not high def, and the bluray rips are (x264), so they would be higher quality, yes?

Totti
12-29-2009, 10:58 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but DVDR is not high def, and the bluray rips are (x264), so they would be higher quality, yes?

Yes but from what i understand the resolution on x264 is lower I think.... and also the audio isn't 5.1 in every rip

If I am wrong please enlighten me :)

waeldiab
12-29-2009, 10:59 PM

i think Totti is right dvd-r is better than x264

hotshot6473
12-29-2009, 11:07 PM
It is really is sad people still think this way or don't know what they are talking about but still give advice

Totti
12-29-2009, 11:11 PM
It is really is sad people still think this way or don't know what they are talking about but still give advice

No one is giving advice here and why is it sad? that's just plain stupid if I am wrong then so be it.....

waeldiab
12-29-2009, 11:23 PM
this is some different screen from ' Transformers '

DVD-R

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii38/WAELDIAB_2007/DVD.jpg

x264

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii38/WAELDIAB_2007/x264.jpg]

BRRip XviD

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii38/WAELDIAB_2007/BRRipXviD.jpg

hotshot6473
12-29-2009, 11:26 PM
you are comparing apples and oranges. And you are not even taking the screenshots correctly

Totti
12-29-2009, 11:27 PM
It's hard to tell the resolution isn't the same and the aren't the same pictures..... to me the bluray xvid rip looks the best but it is the smallest picture....

hotshot6473
12-29-2009, 11:29 PM
That is because he is not taking the screenshots properly or the releases just crap. The only thing with blackbars should be the DVDR

stoi
12-30-2009, 12:09 AM
I am no expert in this field by any means, but i suppose the best way to look at it, with consoles, Wii graphics vs the PS3/360.

The Wii is DVD Quality
PS3/360 is Blu-Ray-X264 quality.

DVD ranges from 480 to 576 (i believe)
Blu-Ray-X264 is usually 720-1080

so in laymans terms

480 = 720x480 pixels (widescreen)
520 = 720x576 pixels
720 = 1280x720 pixels
1080 = 1900x1080 pixels

and the more pixels the better the quality, so if you have a projector/HDTV which can display HDTV properly, then start downloading x264 is my advice.

Obviously you can still get crappy cam like x264, in my experience, which is not by any means great, 720 x264 should be just less than DVD9 or 8.5 gig, 1080p is closer to 13-15gig for good quality, obviously you may get some less than that for old films as an example, and they will still look ok, but dont expect to download a new movie as a x264 at 2.5 gig filesize and expect it to be a great copy.

Obviously if i am wrong on any of the above, please feel free to correct me, but that is how I understand it all works.

hotshot6473
12-30-2009, 12:17 AM
You have way more understanding then anybody so far in this thread. People need to realize the source is the most important thing and then what codec it is encoded with and then what settings are used to preserve the transparency to the source.

Overall people need to stop downloading DVDs and DVD sourced content if HD is available. And download size should not even factor into peoples minds if the quality is good with the price of HDDs these days

fstrulz
12-30-2009, 02:29 AM
If your TV is CRT, then just stick with DVD-R's...

x264's and Blu-ray's have better video resolution and bitrate (and sometimes audio), thus is preferable if you have an HDTV (LCD, LED, Plasma, DLP, HD Projector).

kurdt
12-30-2009, 07:38 AM
You have way more understanding then anybody so far in this thread. People need to realize the source is the most important thing and then what codec it is encoded with and then what settings are used to preserve the transparency to the source.

Overall people need to stop downloading DVDs and DVD sourced content if HD is available. And download size should not even factor into peoples minds if the quality is good with the price of HDDs these days

it took you 4 posts before adding any value to this thread. before that you were just talking shit.

obviously the best quality is going to be downloading full blu-rays which are about 25gb+ in size which is unacceptable to most torrenters who are doing this to save money, not spend more and more money on hard drives. a perfectly acceptable compromise can be achieved with x264 rips of blu-rays.

also, more pixels doesn't necessarily mean better quality, just as more mp on a camera doesn't necessarily mean better quality. it just means a bigger picture, that is all.

doogie88
12-30-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm looking at getting a bluray and projector. Can someone show me where I can learn how to properly burn for the bluray? It is new to me :/

Cradle
12-30-2009, 10:49 AM
LOL more than half the people posting in this thread dont seem to know the first thing about picture quality.

There are two things you have to consider, standard definition and high def.

SD:
Obviously a DVDR would be the best quality, since its an exact replica of the original source. After that comes encodes, generally SD encodes are mostly xvid, though there are some P2P/home encodes that you can get in x264. GENERALLY, the rule of thumb is, the greater the filesize, the better quality (larger filesize usually represents a higher bitrate etc)

HD:
With HD, obviously a full bluray is the best quality, again since they are exact replicas of the original source (but ridiculus in filesize). After that comes your encodes, two types, 1080p and 720p. You have to understand that higher resolution (1080p) isnt ALWAYS better than 720p, its just more pixels. Again, you have to consider the bitrate (which usually can be judged from the filesize), the higher the better. With HD rips, you have to consider both resolution and bitrate to find the best rip. And you'll find that HD rips are always encoded using the x264 codec.

When downloading, you need to consider the following:
1) Are you going to be viewing your films on a HDTV or not?
2) What is your harddrive capacity and/or bandwidth limitations? Obviously if you have a bandwith limit, or are low on hdd space (and cant afford a new one), you may have to form a compromise).

Me, I generally go for HD movies, roughly 4-5gb 720p for your average movie and 8-10gb for action movies which i KNOW are brilliant and worth getting in the best quality.

Hope that clears things up.

Lucifer9999
12-30-2009, 10:59 AM
LOL more than half the people posting in this thread dont seem to know the first thing about picture quality.

There are two things you have to consider, standard definition and high def.

SD:
Obviously a DVDR would be the best quality, since its an exact replica of the original source. After that comes encodes, generally SD encodes are mostly xvid, though there are some P2P/home encodes that you can get in x264. GENERALLY, the rule of thumb is, the greater the filesize, the better quality (larger filesize usually represents a higher bitrate etc)

HD:
With HD, obviously a full bluray is the best quality, again since they are exact replicas of the original source (but ridiculus in filesize). After that comes your encodes, two types, 1080p and 720p. You have to understand that higher resolution (1080p) isnt ALWAYS better than 720p, its just more pixels. Again, you have to consider the bitrate (which usually can be judged from the filesize), the higher the better. With HD rips, you have to consider both resolution and bitrate to find the best rip. And you'll find that HD rips are always encoded using the x264 codec.

When downloading, you need to consider the following:
1) Are you going to be viewing your films on a HDTV or not?
2) What is your harddrive capacity and/or bandwidth limitations? Obviously if you have a bandwith limit, or are low on hdd space (and cant afford a new one), you may have to form a compromise).

Me, I generally go for HD movies, roughly 4-5gb 720p for your average movie and 8-10gb for action movies which i KNOW are brilliant and worth getting in the best quality.

Hope that clears things up.

excelent post!! i prefer also 720p rips!!
but in your post say that hdrips can be only x264 encodes!! correct me if i am wrong, but there are xvid rips as well (so called afr's, aprox 2 Gb in size, released by p2p groups like prodj, dzone3 and others)

Cradle
12-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Hmm Ive never downloaded those P2P rips myself, but I was always under the impression that they were SD encodes from a bluray source, and hence not actually high definition.

brightsid
12-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Cradle can you give an example of a 720p encode with greater bitrate than the 1080p encode? I would like to check something

TrollinThunder
12-30-2009, 03:37 PM
VHS ftw.

emperorIX
12-30-2009, 04:08 PM
I generally prefer HD WMVs for their compatibility. I stream my stuff to an XBOX 360 and it only retains 5.1 audio for wma in the wmv container, which is important to me. But, there are only a couple of groups that rip to VC1 and about as many places to find them.

I don't have a media player yet or a htpc, but I'm going to grab a WDTV Live asap. Then, it'll be x264 all the way.

cinephilia
12-30-2009, 04:15 PM
i don't own any HD equipment so i mostly download xvid rips (preferably AFR or good P2P/homemade releases) and DVDRs for my favorite films.

well, i could download x264 rips but i really dislike the fact that they're not readable on any standard dvd player, unlike xvid and DVDs.

that said, i happen to get 720p releases for my "movies of the evening": the quality is quite good (even though my 22" screen is not HD) and i can always grab a xvid or DVDR version of the film if i really like it.

phauk
12-30-2009, 04:44 PM
VHS ftw.

rofl - I agree :whistling

hotshot6473
12-31-2009, 03:11 AM

it took you 4 posts before adding any value to this thread. before that you were just talking shit.

obviously the best quality is going to be downloading full blu-rays which are about 25gb+ in size which is unacceptable to most torrenters who are doing this to save money, not spend more and more money on hard drives. a perfectly acceptable compromise can be achieved with x264 rips of blu-rays.

also, more pixels doesn't necessarily mean better quality, just as more mp on a camera doesn't necessarily mean better quality. it just means a bigger picture, that is all.

Why would I do anything other than talk shit when people can't even use the search button. There have been so many of these damn threads its painful. So I just amuse myself

Cut-Copy-Paste
12-31-2009, 06:47 AM
HD:
And you'll find that HD rips are always encoded using the x264 codec.

Dats not always true. RevTT , IPT and i guess pretome also have Xvid HD rips