PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to use txtor on private trackers??

DrParker
01-01-2010, 12:10 AM
im talking about that one http://txtor.dwerg.net.
is it risky?

anon
01-01-2010, 12:15 AM
Since most trackers require you authenticate yourself before downloading the metadata, I doubt it'd work in the first place. And even if it did, I wouldn't advice using it, because of the different IP.

Tv Controls you
01-01-2010, 12:17 AM
im talking about that one http://txtor.dwerg.net.
is it risky?

You can't use txtor with a private tracker unless you give them your username and password information.

In which case I would highly recommend you don't :huh:

anon
01-01-2010, 12:18 AM
In which case I would highly recommend you don't :huh:

They even state that themselves :lol:

It doesn't help you out for private sites (i.e., where you need to login to download a torrent), because we'd have to relay your credentials and we doubt you'd want us to give your username and password.

TraLaLa
01-01-2010, 12:34 AM
they ask for the link too ? damn

Tv Controls you
01-01-2010, 12:37 AM
they ask for the link too ? damn

I think there offering a legitimate service, but they also realize its not practical to ask people for login/password information.

The main use of their site is for public trackers when the torrent extension file is blocked.

They run a pretty straight forward site.

Rart
01-01-2010, 12:50 AM
BCG has this feature as well.

I think it's mainly just for people in college/other monitored ISPs that block the downloading of .torrent files, so they can simply download it as a .txt extension.

Obviously this site can't get a private site torrent for you, seeing as you need authentication to visit the site in the first place.

Although if it actually did manage to grab a .txt of a private torrent, I don't really see how it would be against any kind of rules, it should be fine. It doesn't do anything tracker side, it's just another way to download the torrent.

TraLaLa
01-01-2010, 12:56 AM
BCG has this feature as well.

I think it's mainly just for people in college/other monitored ISPs that block the downloading of .torrent files, so they can simply download it as a .txt extension.

Obviously this site can't get a private site torrent for you, seeing as you need authentication to visit the site in the first place.

Although if it actually did manage to grab a .txt of a private torrent, I don't really see how it would be against any kind of rules, it should be fine. It doesn't do anything tracker side, it's just another way to download the torrent.

i saw on trackers the option to download torrents also as a text file, so i guess its no need for this crappy site or not ?

anon
01-01-2010, 01:01 AM
i saw on trackers the option to download torrents also as a text file, so i guess its no need for this crappy site or not ?

Not when the tracker already has that option, and of course not if your ISP doesn't block .torrent downloading. :)