PDA

View Full Version : Got a new Ded Server-Help Needed

surya_neo
01-11-2010, 01:07 AM
Hi Guys,

I have ordered a ded server from seedhost.eu and i got my server details...just the server ip,username and pswd.

what next? I am a total noob..Can somebody help?

i thought it would come with some default config like utorrent/ftp/vnc...but don't know if these are installed or not..

any help greatly appreciated

waeldiab
01-11-2010, 01:14 AM
is it Windows Server or Ubuntu Server

gust have a look on this thread

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-guides-and-tutorials-65/t-naqs-complete-setup-guide-for-linux-seedboxes-fedora-corecentosdebianubuntu-281331

surya_neo
01-11-2010, 01:42 AM
It is based on Debian(Lenny)..i remembered that i have order my server with CentOS...but came with Debain..Is it ok or not? any way i have asked for change of os...

waeldiab
01-11-2010, 01:49 AM
i think it will be better if u change it to Ubuntu Server.CentOS is very difficult

surya_neo
01-11-2010, 04:28 AM
I am little confused.Which one is better and simple. CentOS or Ubuntu or Debain.Plz let me know coz i need to modify my support ticket before they act on it.

Strange thing is that i am not able to connect to the server using putty from office...dont know if somebody is working on it.

I asked dancefor(admin of seedhost.eu) yesterday..and he said it will come with basic settings...i don't know if it actually has been configured. I hve tried connecting through vnc from home..could not connect..

oklahomasucks
01-11-2010, 04:47 AM
Ubuntu is the easiest.

surya_neo
01-11-2010, 07:06 AM
ok..I have opened a support ticket,they have not responded to it..so i will close it and raise a new ticket but want to know...how difficult/easy is to setup seedbox and other apps like wine/winrar/filezilla/apache/php/mysql on the server using Ubuntu..

P.S: Should i ask for Ubuntu Desktop or Ubuntu Server version

waeldiab
01-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Ubuntu Desktop IS the best. u will not have any problem

mpwizard
01-11-2010, 07:16 PM
I signed up for my first seedbox with xirvik, i have no idea what is running underneath, i just logged in with my username/password, and can access the ftp and bit torrent client easy. I thought this was how all seedboxes were?

heiska
01-12-2010, 10:33 AM
I signed up for my first seedbox with xirvik, i have no idea what is running underneath, i just logged in with my username/password, and can access the ftp and bit torrent client easy. I thought this was how all seedboxes were?

Seedbox != dedicated server.

Usually linux dedicated servers are unmanaged (unless you pay extra) and they have nothing but plain OS of your choice with ssh running. You have to install what you need all by yourself. Definitely not recommended for the idiots. I don't know about winshit servers, they probably come bundled with bunch of useless crap.

Seeboxes run on dedicated servers. When you buy one, the company/individual you bought it off has already installed at least a torrent client and a ftp daemon on it.

mpwizard
01-16-2010, 12:24 PM
thanks for the clarification