PDA

View Full Version : WTF Happened to Midnight Torrents?

TheKarateKitt
01-13-2010, 03:26 AM
It's been down for the past few weeks or so and now when you go to the front page it'll direct your attention to "Midnight Scene?" Anyone know what happened? Is Midnight Scene the true successor to Midnight Torrents?

Cabalo
01-13-2010, 03:49 AM
Judging by the name...

NETVIRUS
01-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Its up now..........

xGreg
01-14-2010, 02:44 AM
Midnight Torrents is dead now...

MT-Fun.com important notice!
You will be redirected in 15 seconds

MT-Fun.com is no longer available.
The owner of MT-Fun has been very, very kind and redirected the url to the server of Midnight-Scene.com.
Do note though that we are not MT-Fun 2.0, and we can't transfer your MT-Fun account, stats or torrents.

Click here to continue to Midnight-Scene or wait to be automatically redirected.

anon
01-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Is Midnight Scene the true successor to Midnight Torrents?

Judging by this text on the redirection page:
Do note though that we are not MT-Fun 2.0, and we can't transfer your MT-Fun account, stats or torrents.
I'd say they aren't the "true" successor. :happy:

TraLaLa
01-14-2010, 05:32 PM
just another tracker

TheKarateKitt
01-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Tried to post this update yesterday, but for some odd reason in both FireFox and IE when I hit "Reply" I got a pop-up to download "newreply.php" W/e.

Anyway, I signed up to "Midnight Scene", read their intro and it is apparent that it IS the true successor to M-T since the staff is primarily the same. What happened was the admin/owner was hardly ever around, so the staff got tired of it, ditched M-T, and opened up Midnight Scene.

Honestly, it's not that great a private tracker, w/ very few seeders/leechers. Although it could be argued, at least they have some good free leech packs...and NO WAIT TIMES.

anon
01-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Tried to post this update yesterday, but for some odd reason in both FireFox and IE when I hit "Reply" I got a pop-up to download "http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/newreply.php"

There was a posting downtime yesterday:
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-everything-related-to-the-board-9/t-posting-downtime-387634/

No one was able to post until tesco fixed it.

mummysboy
01-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Hiya Sceners,

The owner of MT-Fun.com has been very, very kind and redirected their URL to our login page.
If you came here while trying to reach mt-fun.com, that would explain it.
We will do everything in our power to provide a new home for the MT-Fun community.
So once again, welcome to all of you! http://1.2.3.13/bmi/www.midnight-scene.com/pic/smilies/smile1.gif

We do note though that we are not MT-Fun 2.0, and we unfortunately can't transfer your MT-Fun stats to here.

Over the last couple of days we noticed a sudden influx of members from mt-fun who are having some serious problems with their site. Midnight-Scene.com was originally founded by the old mt-fun staff in order to keep the community together when a similar situation occured about 40 weeks ago.
(more info here (http://www.midnight-scene.com/redir.php?url=/forums.php?action=viewtopic&topicid=282&page=1)).

Needless to say that we welcome all new members and we hope you will find that Midnight-Scene is a very decent tracker with lots to offer so you can hang out here and get your torrent fix on while waiting for mt-fun to come back. (..or maybe not?)

As you probably know Midnight-Scene is sort of an offspring of Midnight-Torrents (MT-Fun). Basically the Midnight-Torrents (MT) staff team lost contact with the owner and decided to move on.

Some of you may know the whole story, some of you may have heard bits and pieces and some of you may have heard a story that is untrue. This post is our way to explain our side of the story, so everyone can make their own judgement about the truth.

First off I would like to point out that we are not hatefull, we are not out for revenge and we do not hold grudges against the owner of MT. Sure at first we were upset about the things that happened but we have accepted the facts and are in peace with what has happened.

Midnight-Torrents had a management structure that worked flawlessly as long as nothing bad happened. The owner/coder was not around much so the staff team had loads of freedom to run the site in the way we thought was best. This resulted in a very stable & secure site. The only time when problems would occur was if something on site broke or the staff team wanted to get something changed on the site. (new clients allowed, rules changed, bugs fixed etc.) It would take us hours but mostly days or even over a week to get in contact with the owner to get these kind of things fixed.

We didn't want to build a new site from scratch but we felt that we had to act when the donate page and the server it was hosted on were down for about 2 to 3 weeks and we didn't hear a single word from the owner even though the problem was reported to him on several occasions. The donate page being down means that there was no money coming in, no money means bills not being paid and eventually bills not being paid would lead to no more Midnight-Torrents, and more importantly to us, no more MT community. After we couldn't even get a hold of the owner on the phone we decided to take a big step and started planning an building a new home for the MT community in case MT would one day stop to exist.

Near the end of March 2009 PM's and emails were sent to all the members informing them about the new site. The mass mail was also sent to the owner, still a couple of days later we didn't hear from him. So we went throught with the development of Midnight-Scene. Members that manually donated money had their money redirected to the new site because we honestly thought that MT was about to go down any day because the end of the month was near.

It still came as a shock when MT suddenly went down. At that point we were already testing and bugfixing on the new site and we had our IRC up and running so we were happy for a minute that we had already put so much work into Midnight-Scene. This feeling was gone quickly when suddenly Midnight-Torrents came back online, the complete staff team was demoted and some were even banned without any discussion or questions whatsoever.

Later we found out that this happened because the owner of MT thought that we were stealing his money. He also posted a news item about this on MT, even after we had contacted the 5 members that donated manually while the donate page was down. We asked them if they wanted a refund now that it turned out that MT would remain online after all. Nobody asked for a refund. While I was still trying to find out what exactly happened and while I was trying to explain our side of the story I also got banned from MT. I'm still not sure why.

Apart from 2 staffers (one stepped down but is luckily still with us on MS and one is unfortunately MIA) all of us stepped over to Midnight-Scene. We are a very tight group, even more because of the drama we been through together. We have learned from mistakes that have been made in the past and the new site is built with this in mind. We realise that all the different people on a torrent site, the owner, the Coder, the staffteam & the members are interdependant and are equally valued.

We guarantee that we will always strive to provide you with a top notch, up to date and friendly torrent site.

We do not ask for members to take sides in this, we wish Midnight-Torrents and especially the new staff team the best of luck and we hope that both sites can exist next to eachother.

So i guess thats what happened - fear and wwtk went awol again

TRx
01-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Maybe I can help clear some things up?

Midnight-Scene was started about 40 weeks ago by the former Midnight-Torrents staff team.
At that time it seemed like Midnight-Torrents was about to go down because the owner had been MIA for weeks while major parts of the sites were broken.

When the owner finally returned the staff decided to go ahead with Midnight-Scene instead because they had lost their trust in the owner.

The sites have co-existed since, MT being the bigger one and MS constantly improving and enjoying the advantages of a having a small but very close community.

A short while ago MT ran out of funds and because the owner didn't want to leave the community out in the cold he redirected the URL to Midnight-Scene.
MS has more than doubled in size since, both in members and seed/leech activity, but still got plenty capacity for more. :)

Midnight-Scene was built by the people that ran Midnight-Torrents for a long time and it has always been their aim to make Midnight-Scene an improved version of Midnight-Torrents.
If you are looking for the Midnight-Torrents community, Midnight-Scene is where you will find it.

So to answer the OP's question, I guess MS is MT's unofficial successor indeed.

Enlightened
01-18-2010, 11:52 AM
They should rename their Tracker to > "Fly By Night" Torrent..LOL

TRx
01-18-2010, 02:36 PM
They should rename their Tracker to > "Fly By Night" Torrent..LOL

Why?

Midnight-Torrents has been online for approx 5 years.
Midnight-Scene has been online for close to 1 year and is currently booming so it's not going anywhere.

Cut-Copy-Paste
04-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Hello.
The interesting name of a site - filesharingtalk.com, interesting "boardrules/" here is very good.
I spent 1 hours searching in the network, until find your forum!

J-Dye :lol:

anon
04-25-2011, 12:13 PM
J-Dye :lol:

J-Dye doesn't know how to use the Shift key. That guy is a spambot, and I've just reported him.

mjmacky
05-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Hello.
The interesting name of a site - filesharingtalk.com, interesting "boardrules/" here is very good.
I spent 5 hours searching in the network, until find your forum!

Whoa like, you just blew my mind

anon
05-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Hello.
I spent 5 hours searching in the network, until find your forum!

How come you haven't been banned already? I've reported you a handful of times now :dabs:

mjmacky
05-25-2011, 10:44 PM
How come you haven't been banned already? I've reported you a handful of times now :dabs:

Only his posts are being deleted apparently. So does he keep just reposting the same thing every time your report him?

anon
05-25-2011, 11:15 PM
So does he keep just reposting the same thing every time your report him?

Exactly. Same with the "hello everyone" guy.

I just noticed you've reported him as well. They set it to "nothing to do". :unsure:

mjmacky
05-25-2011, 11:22 PM
So does he keep just reposting the same thing every time your report him?

Exactly. Same with the "hello everyone" guy.

I just noticed you've reported him as well. They set it to "nothing to do". :unsure:

You know I never check the report forum, but I can't see it in mine, is that because you reported it first?

anon
05-26-2011, 02:21 AM
Yes, duplicate reports are merged and only the first person gets access to them.

Just checked again and Cabalo has kicked the guy now. :)