PDA

View Full Version : Is everything alright with TorrentLeech?

The Flying Cow
01-14-2010, 10:59 PM
The strangest thing just happened. As I was logging in, it said "This account has been disabled", which is bollocks since I've been with TL since they began and my ratio is comfortably over 1.0.

Now I try to login again but the site gives me a HTTP error. Is something wrong with the site (any TL user can try for me?) or am I facing some incorrect trial for my inexistent faults?

If it is the case that the site has indeed decided to blockade my access, where could I speak with a member of the staff to ask about such a wild action.

Any help is hugely appreciated.

susiserken
01-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Site is working fine for me, but it takes quite some time before stuff starts downloading.

anon
01-14-2010, 11:02 PM
My account works fine. What you're getting isn't an HTTP error, TL sets a cookie ("banned"="1") after you log in to a disabled account, which prevents you from using the site as long as it's there.

I'd advice you clear your cookies and go to their support IRC channel to see what happened. Server is irc.torrentleech.org, port 7011.

PerMaFrOsT
01-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Site works for me also. Any problem to download or see their forums.

The Flying Cow
01-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the info anon. What's the name of the channel? /join #<?>

Slickerey
01-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Use /j #tl-help

The Flying Cow
01-14-2010, 11:40 PM
It says "#tl-help :Sorry, only Opers may create channels."

It turns out the channel's name is #tlhelp.

Skiz should add it to the thread with the channels and users of the trackers here at FST.

Cheers guys.

PerMaFrOsT
01-14-2010, 11:47 PM
It says "#tl-help :Sorry, only Opers may create channels."

It turns out the channel's name is #tlhelp.

Skiz should add it to the thread with the channels and users of the trackers here at FST.

Cheers guys.

Try with: /Join #tlhelp

anon
01-14-2010, 11:49 PM
Try with: /Join #tl-help

He already managed to get in. Channel is #tlhelp without the dash. :happy:

The Flying Cow, keep us informed. :)

Rart
01-15-2010, 12:02 AM
My account works fine. What you're getting isn't an HTTP error, TL sets a cookie ("banned"="1") after you log in to a disabled account, which prevents you from using the site as long as it's there.

Just curious, how does one go about learning things like this?

anon
01-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Some fun with Wikipedia and tabbed browsers. :happy:

I happened to notice it in Opera's cookie manager after logging in to one of my TL banned accounts. After deleting it, I'd no longer get that fake HTTP 403 error.

Slickerey
01-15-2010, 12:11 AM
So you have experience with getting banned at certain trackers?

anon
01-15-2010, 12:13 AM
It's part of being who I am. :dry:

The Flying Cow
01-15-2010, 12:33 AM
They accuse me of cheating. Apparently many of my downloads in my snatchlist have "0 MB downloaded" next to them.

I thought something about hit'n'running would pop up, that I do confess to having done with TL, since they didn't care.

But cheating? Never. I don't know what that is.

ExtraDry
01-15-2010, 12:41 AM
They accuse me of cheating. Apparently many of my downloads in my snatchlist have "0 MB downloaded" next to them.

I thought something about hit'n'running would pop up, that I do confess to having done with TL, since they didn't care.

Talk to the guy above he'll fill you in :whistling :lol:

The Flying Cow
01-15-2010, 12:57 AM
What can I do?

TL was my only source. FTWR is finished but it was never a big resource to begin with (was more about getting rare things through requests and whatnot) ScT is gone, I've got nothing.

I don't know that I can ever return to TL. The funniest thing is, I didn't even do anything for this. Absolutely nothing.

Tv Controls you
01-15-2010, 01:04 AM

Never really looked into cheating on torrents myself as I believe it's stupid (no offense anon-sbi). It just totally defeats the whole purpose of torrenting... Sharing files with others.
Its a community effort

Anyway by cheating they mean obtaining a ratio by any illegitimate means. Ex. Sending fake upload info to the tracker to make it look like you uploaded more than you really did.

If your innocent go on and tell them that you are willing to prove it by any means necessary. See where that takes you, as long as the what.cd staff isn't on the irc you should be fine ;)

On second read of your postings:
The only way you could have 0 mb down on a torrent is if you cross seed it from another site, canceled the download, or the tracker didn't record it right (very unlikely).

or you cheated lol....

Tokeman
01-15-2010, 02:48 AM

If you downloaded everything before your client got to its second announce, and removed it from the client, no download stats would have been reported, but they would see that you started a download with the first announce.

Possibility?

Rart
01-15-2010, 03:03 AM
I occasionally download torrents and have no download stats reported as well. It occasionally happens and I shrug it off as a bug, but it may be due to what Tokeman said. You could always try explaining that to them.

Cabalo
01-15-2010, 03:39 AM
Assuming you didn't cheat, your client may not have sent the completed flag to the tracker. (correct me if I'm wrong, but if you finish the torrent within the 30 minutes until the first announce is made, and no flag is sent, the DL stats aren't recorded?)

Tv Controls you
01-15-2010, 03:50 AM
Assuming you didn't cheat, your client may not have sent the completed flag to the tracker. (correct me if I'm wrong, but if you finish the torrent within the 30 minutes until the first announce is made, and no flag is sent, the DL stats aren't recorded?)

That means they wouldn't have reported his upload either correct?

I just don't see how you could get banned for that. It looks like you did nothing, maybe downloaded the torrent and had second thoughts and deleted it.
I don't think were getting the full story.

Cabalo
01-15-2010, 03:59 AM

That means they wouldn't have reported his upload either correct?

I just don't see how you could get banned for that. It looks like you did nothing, maybe downloaded the torrent and had second thoughts and deleted it.
I don't think were getting the full story.
Yes, I forgot about that. You're absolutely right.
If the account indeed got banned for that reason, nothing takes the blame away from the OP who "forgot" to report to the staff he had this issue with the stats updating. They allow you to consult your snatchlist... I know I check mine.
Oh, I forgot, it must be the tracker's fault if they are having issues, the user takes no blame for not helping them and reporting the situation.

I guess it was pretty convenient to help buffering his account. :rolleyes:

Tv Controls you
01-15-2010, 04:05 AM
On cabalo's note I agree you should have sent in a report saying your stats aren't updating correctly, or asked if it looked suspicious to you.
I can see letting 1 torrent slide and saying w.e it might be a glitch in the system it will update in a little and forgetting. But you claim to have had multiple torrents do this.
You know even posting in the forums, to see if other people are having similar experiences or if your just a n00b and its freeleech or something.

Question I came up with while pondering this topic:

how can they distinguish between cross seeding and cheating then?
When you cross seed you have 0 mb down, but x amount up.

xa1ups
01-15-2010, 04:19 AM

Maybe when you recheck the file the tracker "knows" you have the actual file? :unsure:
This concerns me as well as I upload w/e I can there atm cause i hate waiting times.

Rart
01-15-2010, 04:19 AM

I don't know. It seems like a stupid reason to ban someone for in the first place, as I have cross seeded files at TL before with no issue.

That's why I agree with you; I feel like we aren't getting the whole story here.

Quarterquack
01-15-2010, 04:22 AM

Cross-seeding is a different story. Most of the time the nfo, or the sample or some sort of thing is different from the original. Thus, while the release may maintain the same amount of files, they will nearly always be a different size.

This is why when you cross-seed you end up with 99.9% or 100.1%, but almost never really 100% exactly, unless the tracker you're on leeched from the place you got the cross-seeding files from.

Also, I barely use my TL account, (it's literally 0up/0down) so I don't know their rules, but do they even allow cross-seeding? If they don't then this question is irrelevant.

Tv Controls you
01-15-2010, 04:28 AM

Maybe when you recheck the file the tracker "knows" you have the actual file? :unsure:
This concerns me as well as I upload w/e I can there atm cause i hate waiting times.

You should be fine I got about 100gb cross seeded, and I don't see why they would ban cross seeding..... It helps the community, and it doesn't state it anywhere in the rules.

lol87
01-15-2010, 05:52 AM

I don't understand. You have commited hit'n'run, but how can do do hitnrun if you have downloaded 0 MB? Or do you mean uploaded 0 MB?

Ev0
01-15-2010, 06:11 AM
Having a load of torrents that show started and have zero data against them usually is a tell tale sign of removing the torrent announce url from your client once the download starts and you have the list of peers in your client.

AdrianPhoto
01-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Everything is fine with TL

Cradle
01-15-2010, 01:24 PM
lol just tell them you were cross seeding, my whole snatchlist at tl is like a butload of torrents that consists primarily of hit and runs and massive crossseeding. I rarely download a torrent and then seed it, its so much easier buffering by downloading from scc and then seeding it the moment its released on tl.

That isnt the real reason, theres something they arent telling you...

Tv Controls you
01-15-2010, 02:37 PM
lol just tell them you were cross seeding, my whole snatchlist at tl is like a butload of torrents that consists primarily of hit and runs and massive crossseeding. I rarely download a torrent and then seed it, its so much easier buffering by downloading from scc and then seeding it the moment its released on tl.

That isnt the real reason, theres something they arent telling you...

If he didn't cross seed why should he lie. lying will get you no where, because more than likely their is a hole in your lie that will be exploited.
In addition he has already "claimed" to have downloaded torrents from TL and not received any MB downloaded.

He had severally torrents a 0mb and they think he was cheating. We don't know Torrentleechs side of the story. I'm sure if one of there staff came here they could explain how they could see he was not cross seeding, but rather cheating.

Also from the sounds of cradle(poster above me) its damn hard to get banned for hit and running and/or cross seeding for ratio only. Which leads me even further to believe that OP isn't telling the full story

anon
01-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Never really looked into cheating on torrents myself as I believe it's stupid (no offense anon-sbi).

None taken. Now let's clear a few things here:

Cheating is indeed what Tv Controls you said - making it look like you've uploaded more (or at all) that what you really did. There are a variety of reasons to do it, something I won't go into. There's a variety of cheating called "no reporting", where you either don't report your download, or neither upload nor download. (It doesn't consist on not reporting your IP like the stupid guys at FSF think, giving your IP is unavoidable when a reply is required) TL's staff thinks The Flying Cow has used no reporting.

Cabalo, the completed flag is only sent when you complete the torrent, solely to increase the "snatches" counter, if any. If you finished the torrent before the 30 minutes, it should still be sent, and your stats recorded. But as TVCy said, upload shouldn't be recorded either if there was an error while updating the tracker. And TL has no freeleech.

When you cross-seed, you start as 100% done. Your client notifies this to the tracker by sending the amount of bytes left until you have the full file as zero.

Having a load of torrents that show started and have zero data against them usually is a tell tale sign of removing the torrent announce url from your client once the download starts and you have the list of peers in your client.

If the number of announces is higher than 1 we can discard this possibility. :lol:

Personally, I believe TFC for a very simple reason - this has happened to me several times, when their tracker was down but I could still download. However, I never got banned for that, and it's really strange that TFC was - you're going to tell me the times I cheated at 1GB/s passed under the radar, but a suspicious snatchlist from one of their hundred thousand users drew their attention? Give me a break.

What TFC could do now is going to their IRC again, explaining how he had no idea of that tracker timeouts or 0 download on his snatchlist was suspicious, and politely ask the staff to reenable his account. If they still don't want to, I can give him one of mine. It's not as old or even buffered, but he has no other place to download from.

The Flying Cow
01-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Thank you for all the contributions people. When I said I had noticed my ratio didn't appear to be moving much I mean that my thoughts on the matter stayed there.

Certainly I now realize I should have investigated the matter further, checked the snatchlist and, upon seeing what was going on, told the staff.

This 30 minutes suggestion seems to be the reason, since as I mostly download XviDs from TL, in other words low-byte stuff, and get blazing fast speeds on them, my dl's are finishing always before 30 minutes have passed.

I stayed until late yesterday night in the TL IRC chan trying to argue my case. At first the admin was rude and short. After I kept insisting and opened a private chat with him he was nicer, but still did not believe me. He said I must have used a cheat mod, that he didn't care about hit'n'run as that was not the issue, and that uTorrent worked for 140,000 other people and so it is hard to believe it didn't work for me.

I ended by telling him I'd speak to the people behind the creation of uTorrent and try to get proof that this sort of thing does happen to other people. Proof of my innocence, in other words.

I'll try to go back there only when I have a good argument in my favour, as simply carrying the truth with me showed yesterday to be insufficient.

TrollinThunder
01-15-2010, 06:30 PM
That is really lame.

I hope I can help somehow. Pmed.

anon
01-15-2010, 06:32 PM
I stayed until late yesterday night in the TL IRC chan trying to argue my case. At first the admin was rude and short. After I kept insisting and opened a private chat with him he was nicer, but still did not believe me. He said I must have used a cheat mod

Ask him to look at the server logs. He should notice the second announce does not look like this:

...&uploaded=0&downloaded=0...

Also, try to remember if you've seen red arrow icons to the left of your TL torrents recently, which means there have been connection problems.

Raban
01-16-2010, 05:02 PM
I ended by telling him I'd speak to the people behind the creation of uTorrent and try to get proof that this sort of thing does happen to other people. Proof of my innocence, in other words.

good luck with that... haha. yeah right.

dragoi92
01-16-2010, 09:22 PM
U need some luck. But dont worry. If they can reneable ur acc again we will try to help u