PDA

View Full Version : Well...

Quarterquack
02-28-2010, 03:51 AM
I'm going to give newsgroups a try, to see what they offer. I'll try to be as subjective as possible in my post, and stay clear off the "Don't annoy me with ad-riddled crap". That was the only mention of that.

I want a nice unlimited bandwidth NG. I don't understand the unlimited speeds concept, but is that how much I can pull on the server's uplink? If so, I really have a crappy home connection, about 700kbps-1.1mbps so I don't know what that corresponds to in the NG world. An extremely good retention is preferable.

Also, while I'm on public trackers some times I see a "Download through usenet" right beside a "Download torrent file". I'm not sure how this works, really, but I'm wondering if any newsgroup service would let me use those. If not, I'd prefer to use one that does.

I'd love it if it cost peanuts, but I also want my experience to go fairly pleasant, so I don't mind paying a premium to use the best out there. Any suggestions are welcome, and appreciated, of course.

:)

beansis
02-28-2010, 09:39 AM
go for astraweb - unlimited $11/month
http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html

search and download nzb from here
http://www.nzbindex.nl

use this lightweight browser client to download
http://sabnzbd.org/

^^that is my way of the newsgroup:thumbsup:

and you could also look here. . .
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-guides-and-tutorials-65/?prefixid=newsgroups

and just to try it out
http://www.just4today.net/

good luck!

tesco
02-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Also, while I'm on public trackers some times I see a "Download through usenet" right beside a "Download torrent file". I'm not sure how this works, really, but I'm wondering if any newsgroup service would let me use those. If not, I'd prefer to use one that does.

If it says UseneXt then stay clear of it, it's a scam. Stay away from Usenext. ;)

Good luck with newsgroups. :)

Rart
02-28-2010, 09:07 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-guides-and-tutorials-65/t-noobs-guide-to-usenet-383155

A good read, at least I think so :whistling

Quarterquack
02-28-2010, 09:52 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-guides-and-tutorials-65/t-noobs-guide-to-usenet-383155

A good read, at least I think so :whistling

Already read it. :yup:

JustDOSE
02-28-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm going to give newsgroups a try, to see what they offer. I'll try to be as subjective as possible in my post, and stay clear off the "Don't annoy me with ad-riddled crap". That was the only mention of that.

I want a nice unlimited bandwidth NG. I don't understand the unlimited speeds concept, but is that how much I can pull on the server's uplink? If so, I really have a crappy home connection, about 700kbps-1.1mbps so I don't know what that corresponds to in the NG world. An extremely good retention is preferable.

I'd love it if it cost peanuts, but I also want my experience to go fairly pleasant, so I don't mind paying a premium to use the best out there. Any suggestions are welcome, and appreciated, of course.

http://www.astraweb.com/ is the best priced, but they are still updating, so to speak, so in about 8 months they will be the best, period. For now giganews is the best, but overpriced.

That unlimited bandwidth shit doesn't even matter anymore since almost all hosts have that shit for hella cheap (giganews excluded), if you downloaded like 3 movies a month then you could get a block plan, but fuck that.

If you can afford it go with giganews their servers currently hold the longest retained files; but like I said in about 8 months astraweb will have caught up with them and will be 1/3rd the price and will rain supreme. The reason I suggest giganews is that since you are switching over from faggy p2p you will prob do alot of downloading and will go for files that no other newshost has on their servers. Its a common occurrence with usenet nubs.

Those "Download through usenet" links don't work, if you want usenet files you will need to come to an index like this site or Binsearch. They are just spam links to the faglord usenext.

"Don't annoy me with ad-riddled crap".

lmfao, ads? You must be nub. Most of the people accustomed to usenet never see ads, not on any site.. EVER. The last time I saw an ad is when I drove to work and that was a billboard.:01:

Welcome to the real world my son, enjoy :yup:

Your savior,
JUSTdose

Quarterquack
02-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Thanks for calling me a nub a few times in your post, I appreciate it. :lol:

And really thanks for the advice, I'll go with giganews for now then, price isn't really that much of an issue. If I dislike it, I'll wait till astraweb gets on its feet properly as you said would happen.

I also appreciate the tip about giganews' retention, that's still the only reason I'm going for a NG right now, because I heard they have old stuff from 1-2 years back at good speeds, and some of that stuff, I actually need and am not going to let my utorrent idle on the torrent for a month at 20kbps to get it.

I'll give it a go and see how much I like it.

tesco
02-28-2010, 11:56 PM
http://www.astraweb.com/ is the best priced, but they are still updating, so to speak, so in about 8 months they will be the best, period. For now giganews is the best, but overpriced.

That unlimited bandwidth shit doesn't even matter anymore since almost all hosts have that shit for hella cheap (giganews excluded), if you downloaded like 3 movies a month then you could get a block plan, but fuck that.

If you can afford it go with giganews their servers currently hold the longest retained files; but like I said in about 8 months astraweb will have caught up with them and will be 1/3rd the price and will rain supreme. The reason I suggest giganews is that since you are switching over from faggy p2p you will prob do alot of downloading and will go for files that no other newshost has on their servers. Its a common occurrence with usenet nubs.

What makes you think astraweb will surpass giganews' retention in 8 months? Is giganews planning to stop adding storage at some point? Because each provider can only add 1 day of retention per day, it's impossible to add more than that.;)

Rart
03-01-2010, 12:01 AM
Giganews' retention is a grand total of... 9 days more than Astraweb. About 1.6% more. And I'm not even sure most search indexers will hold the files that long.

Unless money really isn't an issue (and if it isn't, why don't you just buy the stuff you need?), Astraweb is nearly a third of the price. I've also heard that giganews has had issues with files being taken down due to the demands of copyright holders as well, although how valid those claims are I'm unsure of.

Personally Astraweb is a much better value.

Quarterquack
03-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Unless money really isn't an issue (and if it isn't, why don't you just buy the stuff you need?

Because I'm fine paying 30 to even 50$ to get the stuff that I need, which is usually collections (where one part of the collection alone is 50$) or programs that are properly cracked and indexed, and are generally on the market for 1200$-1300$.

I could always try to pull a few connections into a topsite that indexes them, but then I'm regularly put on a "trial" period, considering all my actual scene connections all died (not joking) or got arrested.

EDIT: And I missed your astraweb recommendation. To be honest, a lot of people seem to recommend that (in this thread, at least) I'll go for it first, as soon as paypal cashes in my transfer. If it works out well, then I'm happy that I saved that extra 10$ for next month... lol.

JustDOSE
03-01-2010, 05:46 AM
If I dislike it, I'll wait till astraweb gets on its feet properly as you said would happen.
In 8 months astraweb will have almost 2 years worth of files on their servers. Right now they have like 300-400 something days I think, don't trip little guy, it's OK if you don't understand:yup:

Giganews has like 350-400, files after a certain point are not all there, if at all. Its kinda of like alot of different things getting piled on a plateau from the middle, the older shit gets pushed to the edges and falls off, but some doesn't(thus a 360 day file will be fucked and incomplete and unrepairable:ermm:), and the plateau's keep competing to see who can get bigger and keep the stuff from falling off the edges

Im not sure on the exact days because both giganews and astraweb are now advertising their potential/future retention not the actual current retention.

What makes you think astraweb will surpass giganews' retention in 8 months? Is giganews planning to stop adding storage at some point? Because each provider can only add 1 day of retention per day, it's impossible to add more than that.;)
lol, astraweb will surpass giganews in price, im mean really who is gonna need more then 2 years worth of files? After a point its just pointless to pay the extra money. If anything people will get a 5$ block account for fills.

EDIT: And I missed your astraweb recommendation. To be honest, a lot of people seem to recommend that (in this thread, at least) I'll go for it first, as soon as paypal cashes in my transfer. If it works out well, then I'm happy that I saved that extra 10$ for next month... lol.
:whistling nubs always go for old files, dont come here asking for requests. LOL:01: