PDA

View Full Version : Sean Penn wants to squelch free speech...

j2k4
03-08-2010, 10:11 PM
...with prison and death.

Says so right here:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2010/03/08/sean-penn-wants-reporters-jailed-calling-chavez-dictator/

Apparently the fact lefties watch Bill Mahar's HBO show (and presumably heard Penn's remarks) mitigates the need for this to be reported anywhere other than, um...Foxnews.

bigboab
03-08-2010, 10:24 PM
The Penn is mightier than the words.:wacko:
I think he should get his way. Only for the fact that it would limit the amount of scripts available to him.:)

clocker
03-08-2010, 11:47 PM
And the point of this is?

j2k4
03-09-2010, 10:46 AM

No point at all, apart from the exercise Penn gives his own right to free speech while denouncing same for those who disagree with him.

Unless you agree with Mr. Penn, I don't see your point in questioning mine.

clocker
03-09-2010, 12:14 PM

No point at all, apart from the exercise Penn gives his own right to free speech while denouncing same for those who disagree with him.

So, Sean Penn is just like Glen Beck, Sean Hannity and Liz Cheney.

Give me a moment while I search for your threads about them...

Edit: Oddly, couldn't find a thing.
One can only conclude that perceived restriction of free speech is abhorrent from the left but perfectly OK from the right.

At least you're consistent.

Skiz
03-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Somehow that article turned into a free speech rant when it should have just stuck to the facts: Sean Penn is a twit and everyone knows it.

j2k4
03-10-2010, 01:04 AM
Somehow that article turned into a free speech rant when it should have just stuck to the facts: Sean Penn is a twit and everyone knows it.

Yup, and yup.

So, Sean Penn is just like Glen Beck, Sean Hannity and Liz Cheney.

Give me a moment while I search for your threads about them...

Edit: Oddly, couldn't find a thing.
One can only conclude that perceived restriction of free speech is abhorrent from the left but perfectly OK from the right.

At least you're consistent.

Find for me similar sentiments uttered by any of the three you mentioned, please.

Take your time.

clocker
03-10-2010, 01:59 PM
If you think I'm wading through the sewage of quotes from those three...well, you'd be wrong.

j2k4
03-10-2010, 09:13 PM
If you think I'm wading through the sewage of quotes from those three...well, you'd be wrong.

Ah.

Well, then...I'll settle for a retraction.

clocker
03-10-2010, 11:22 PM
I'll bet you would.

j2k4
03-11-2010, 12:58 AM

Ah.

Well, then...I'll settle for a retraction.

I'll bet you would.

A retraction of your assertion, I mean.

clocker
03-11-2010, 01:31 AM
Here ya go...

Glen Beck: Anyone who voted for Obama is a fascist Communist.
Sean Hannity: I agree, We should kill them.
Glen Beck: Yeah, but let's ass rape 'em before.
Sean Hannity: Me first!

No apology necessary.

Villalltheway
03-11-2010, 02:14 AM
I dont know the ins and outs of american politics but all i know is that Sean Hannity is a prick.

clocker
03-11-2010, 02:29 AM
Sean Hannity has no knowledge of American politics either.

j2k4
03-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Here ya go...

Glen Beck: Anyone who voted for Obama is a fascist Communist.
Sean Hannity: I agree, We should kill them.
Glen Beck: Yeah, but let's ass rape 'em before.
Sean Hannity: Me first!

No apology necessary.

Snopes disagrees.

devilsadvocate
03-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Sean Penn is about as relevant as Joe "I don't think journalists should be anywhere allowed war" the plumber.

While I'm sure Mr. Penn only minds certain bad reporting and his solution is idiotic I do share a dislike of sloppy or inaccurate reporting.

clocker
03-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Snopes disagrees.
That's because I made it up.
I figured that as a fan of Fox News you'd be used to fabricated/distorted stories.

Just trying to give you what you want, Kev....

jmayer
03-12-2010, 03:27 AM
"Every day, this elected leader is called a dictator here, and we just accept it, and accept it" said Penn, winner of two Best Actor Academy Awards. "And this is mainstream media, who should -- truly, there should be a bar by which one goes to prison for these kinds of lies."

I really hope he didn't say this with a serious face. Come on, the guy shuts down whole nets of television because they didn't give him the "political daily airtime" as stated in the Venezuela's legislation (which, btw, he changes as he pleases)... and if I remember it correctly, he was trying to extend his "legal" time as president. If that's not dictatorship, then what is?

j2k4
03-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Sean Penn is about as relevant as Joe "I don't think journalists should be anywhere allowed war" the plumber.

I must have missed that one.

Anyway, it's the media giving his views an airing, and doing so non-critically.

Some hereabout claim that doesn't happen.

Just saying.

devilsadvocate
03-13-2010, 03:35 AM
I must have missed that one.

I searched foxnews and strangely couldn't find any reference to the quote, although I did find several chirpy reports about him being a "war correspondent" in Israel for pajamas media, which is where the quote came from.

I’ll be honest with you. I don’t think journalists should be anywhere allowed war. I mean, you guys report where our troops are at. You report what’s happening day to day. You make a big deal out of it. I think it’s asinine. You know, I liked back in World War I and World War II when you’d go to the theater and you’d see your troops on, you know, the screen and everyone would be real excited and happy for’em. Now everyone’s got an opinion and wants to downer–and down soldiers. You know, American soldiers or Israeli soldiers.
I think media should be abolished from, uh, you know, reporting. You know, war is hell. And if you’re gonna sit there and say, “Well look at this atrocity,” well you don’t know the whole story behind it half the time, so I think the media should have no business in it.
Here's the video
UDlst03I3lk

j2k4
03-13-2010, 03:52 AM
Poor Joe - exposed by the media.