PDA

View Full Version : It's a small start

devilsadvocate
03-08-2010, 11:06 PM
10%+ and a serious cutback on benefits would be better.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:h.r.4720:

Taking Responsibility For Congressional Pay Act (Introduced in House)
HR 4720 IH
111th CONGRESS 2d Session H. R. 4720
To provide for a 5 percent reduction in the rates of basic pay for Members of Congress.
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
March 2, 2010

Mrs. KIRKPATRICK of Arizona introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on House Administration, and in addition to the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned

mothis
03-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Oh come on. This bill is a complete waste of time. Congressional pay accounts for less than one tenth of one percent of the federal budget. Why can we not discuss matters of importance instead of being constantly engaged in this meaningless symbolism?

j2k4
03-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Oh come on. This bill is a complete waste of time. Congressional pay accounts for less than one tenth of one percent of the federal budget. Why can we not discuss matters of importance instead of being constantly engaged in this meaningless symbolism?

Meaningless, you say.

Is everything they want us to put up with just "meaningless" symbolism as well.

mothis
03-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Well, it depends on how you define "everything they want us to put up with". If it's meaningless, then yes, it's meaningless, and if it's not, then no :-p. If you speak only in generalities, then I can answer only in tautologies.

j2k4
03-16-2010, 09:10 PM
Well, it depends on how you define "everything they want us to put up with". If it's meaningless, then yes, it's meaningless, and if it's not, then no :-p. If you speak only in generalities, then I can answer only in tautologies.

Ah.

Hie thyself to the insurance thread, then.

devilsadvocate
03-16-2010, 10:19 PM

What makes you think the point is about cost savings? I don't even consider it symbolism and certainly not something "constantly engaged in".

Ideally I want lawmakers to be paid minimum wage, have to buy their healthcare and pensions in the individual market without taxpayer subsidies and lose all those other extras like subsidized restaurants.

I realize this will never happen

j2k4
03-16-2010, 10:28 PM
I want going to congress to be the equivalent of drawing the short straw.

I want those who attend to argue strenuously in favor of logic and thrift, and if they fail, the penalty is another term.

Senators and reps should live in spartan dormitories, and no, I don't mean the Lansing campus.

Meals to be served in the basement, with the other rats.

clocker
03-17-2010, 12:26 AM
I want going to congress to be the equivalent of drawing the short straw.

I want those who attend to argue strenuously in favor of logic and thrift, and if they fail, the penalty is another term.

Senators and reps should live in spartan dormitories, and no, I don't mean the Lansing campus.

Meals to be served in the basement, with the other rats.
Oh yeah, that'd work out well.

Let's discourage the best and brightest from participating and encourage know-nothing losers to overrun the place.
Did Sarah Palin teach you nothing?

j2k4
03-17-2010, 12:35 AM
You regard the denizens of our congress as ..."...the best and brightest"?

Good Lord.

clocker
03-20-2010, 12:56 AM
As usual, you misconstrue my words.

I didn't say anything about the current members of Congress.
See if you can keep up, please.

j2k4
03-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Oh, okay.

Do you think there is anything about, um, today's congress that would attract any of the "best and brightest"?

Edit:

Also - do you regard Obama to be amongst our "best and brightest"?

clocker
03-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Yes.

j2k4
03-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Yes.

Okay, I figured that.

How about the rest of the question?