PDA

View Full Version : Adding A New Hard Disk

NeoWalker
10-22-2003, 09:13 PM
Hi

I am going to add an additional 80GB HD to my machine which will run alongside my 40Gb on the same IDE.

All I need to know is how do I format this drive? as I will be running the OS (XP Pro) on the original HD (the 40giger) and using the additional just for storage.

Any help appreciated.

Billy_Dean
10-22-2003, 09:19 PM
When you get into Windows, it will show up as a drive, right click on it and Format.

:)

NeoWalker
10-22-2003, 09:46 PM
It isn't thats what I thought.... It shows up in the BIOS as Primary Slave and also in Device Manager in Windows XP but their is no drive in Explorer or My Computer.

Please help!

NeoWalker
10-22-2003, 09:48 PM
The status within Device Manager when I click "Populate" is "Not Initialized"

What does this mean? and how can I "Initialize" this device?

Virtualbody1234
10-22-2003, 09:51 PM
Make sure the jumpers on the drives allow one drive to be 'Master' and the other a 'Slave'.

You will probably need to partition it before formatting.

In Windows XP Press: Start>Control Panel>switch to classic view>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management.

Once there you will see your new drive and you can partition it and format it there.

Spicker
10-22-2003, 09:52 PM
im not good with hardware tht much...but chek the jumper settings on the bak of harddrive if it has any...(but ide drives do hav it) chek the wiring and the primary and secondary crap... :D

my two cents
jai

topgun396
10-22-2003, 10:03 PM
you need to activate the drive. Create an active partition and format it. Most software that came with the drive will do this for you. It's better to grab the software then run the drive your preparing by it's self in the system, set for master. For maxtor's i use maxblast. It's creats a bootdisk to loadup at boot.
Depends on what type of hardrive you have though, maxtor or wd.

ps
you seem to have it setup right jumpers , ect. just follow the above directions it's should work. your creating a fat, fat32, or ntfs partition is whats going on ;)

NeoWalker
10-22-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@22 October 2003 - 21:51
In Windows XP Press: Start>Control Panel>switch to classic view>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management.

Once there you will see your new drive and you can partition it and format it there.
Thanks guys for your help. I have got it working using the Disk Management system.

It's a Dynamic drive but I have some experience with Partition Magic so If I need to change that it should be easy.

Cheers all! :D

sparsely
10-23-2003, 12:43 AM
for future reference:

Right-click My Computer (not my, sparsely's, computer, but your "My Computer" icon ;) )> Manage
You'll see Disk Management at the bottom of the console.