PDA

View Full Version : Firewall

camille
10-25-2003, 09:51 AM
My OS is Windows 98, how do I check my firewall if it is altered by one of the software I recently installed? Since I installed Internet Turbo ver 5.4 noticed that most of the programs I want to d/load fails . Will someone assist me in this problem?

ck-uk
10-25-2003, 12:03 PM
I doubt its the firewall causing the failed d'loads.It could be that internet turbo if its some kind of download manager or accelerator.They can cause alot of currupt downloads. :D

camille
10-25-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by ck-uk@25 October 2003 - 20:03
I doubt its the firewall causing the failed d'loads.It could be that internet turbo if its some kind of download manager or accelerator.They can cause alot of currupt downloads. :D
But how do I check my firewall? Where shall I look for it? Thanks

sparsely
10-25-2003, 12:55 PM
What firewall do you have?

ck-uk
10-25-2003, 12:59 PM
Check and look for what mate?what firewall do you use?..whats internet turbo?

Have you tried uninstalling internet turbo.I doubt its the firewall ..it dosnt really have anything to do with the actual d/l,,u/l streams. :D

camille
10-25-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Sparsely@25 October 2003 - 20:55
What firewall do you have?

I don't know. How can locate it? I don't even know where to find it.

cosmic doobie
10-25-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by camille@25 October 2003 - 13:47

I don't know. How can locate it? I don't even know where to find it.
:unsure:

sparsely
10-25-2003, 01:57 PM
....okay.
why do you think that you do have a firewall?

furiaa
10-25-2003, 09:23 PM
not familiar with internet turbo but most of these internet connection "optimizers" are crap...suggest unistalling it.

if you really want to improve your download speed suggest cleaning up your system with a program like spybot to remove spyware and adware (ie gator) and then install a good firewall to prevent popups. popups and spyware run in the background while you surf exchanging info about you (using cookies) and chew up your bandwidth. Also if you are still using dial up (most AOL users) then switch to DSL. It's much faster...up to T1 speed depending on your distance from a telecom central office.

As for your firewall: if this is your personal home pc and you do not know where your firwall is then odds are you do not have one; however go to start/programs and look for a program such as Zone Alarms/Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall/McAfee Firewall/or Sygate Personal Firewall. (note: if you are on a work computer/company network then ask your network admin)

If you do not see one of these or some other personal firewall program (there are alot out there) then you do not have a firewall. I suggest my personal favorite Zone Alarm Pro 4 but McAfee is also very good. Zone is simple to set up and blocks pop-ups as well as port scans by hackers. Just install it and follow the prompts when it first runs to recognize your network connections and allow permissions for programs such as kaza/explorer/outlook/ to access the internet. :)

camille
10-26-2003, 09:05 AM
Thanks Furiaa, for giving such a nice tip. Sorry for not responding right away. I've been for awhile. Right now I'm using Pop Up Cop and Ad-aware softwares. Do you think If I use Zone Alarm Pro 4 I don't need these programs. I can't afford to switch to DSL, I'm just a poor guy. Please let me know If I'm going to eliminate these softwares as soon as I got Zone Alarm Pro 4.

furiaa
10-27-2003, 11:07 PM
Zone Alarm Pro 4 combines several features within this firewall. Program controls protect you from spyware programs that secretly install themselves and then connect themselves to the internet. The way this works is that whenever a program tries to access the internet Zone alerts you and asks if you want to grant permissions for this program.

That being said, Zone does not prevent these programs from being downloaded or installed by you so it is still good to have a spyware/adware program available to regularly scan your system for infections just as you would for viruses.

Zone also includes features which block tracking site cookies, banner adds, popup/popunder and animated adds. I would suggest that you loose the "pop-up cop"... it will do nothing for you that zone doesn't do.

I like to keep my system resources as high as possible and each little program you have running is a new thread wasting these resources. I would suggest that you also get a registry cleaner to clean up your system. Every time you remove old programs there is always junk left behind in your registry that the windows unistaller does not remove. cleaning up your registry will speed up your system and make it more stable. :)

camille
10-27-2003, 11:20 PM
Thanks again for giving me such a nice tip. I'm using Registry Medic and Diskeeper for my hard drive. If you got some advise, please don't hesitate to tell me because I'm new in this world of web.

Mik3ll
10-28-2003, 12:34 AM
I suggest getting Javacools Spyware Blaster (http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html), it will stop most spyware from getting on your computer by changing around some internet settings, and the setting changes will not mess up your computer, and keep it updated because they update it a lot. Then get Spybot-S&D (http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10194058.html?tag=lst-0-1), it detects way more things then Ad-Aware.