PDA

View Full Version : Best, Fastest Bittorrent Program Available?

KILskOOL
10-28-2003, 07:18 AM
Do any of you guys know which is the best BitTorrent program available. I only have a 56k connection usually I download @ 7kb/s but I've been downloading a 1.5gig file for over a week now. It should only take a few days but I can't set my upload limit less than 2 users and it's stealing my bandwith. I can download 80 megs in one connection but now I download 20 megs and upload 60 megs. I still share but this is annoying can anyone help?

shoutman
10-28-2003, 07:31 AM
what program do u use now?

KILskOOL
10-28-2003, 08:49 AM
Burst

muchspl2
10-28-2003, 09:01 AM
Shad0w's client (http://home.elp.rr.com/tur/download.html)

soma
10-28-2003, 10:23 AM
hmmm, i think thats more of a preference...I use Nova Torrent, and Azureus...and what r u doin dl a 1.5 gig file with a 56k!!!! It sure would suck if you dl about 95% of the file and everyone bailed and youre left with an incomplete file that will never be finished...i learned that the hard way ;)...though if youre dl at 7 kb/s then maybe its not so bad since i max out at 3.5 - 4 at my greatest times on my dial-up... Anyway those r the 2 i prefer.

Supernatural
10-28-2003, 04:43 PM
I came to post the exact same question, except I'm on cable. Bittorrent is a notorious bandwidth hog. That's why I've put off giving it a try for so long. But now there are some files I want to get that are only available on bittorrent. I need a highly custimizable client, preferably of K-Lite quality (if that's even possible :P).

bronco
10-28-2003, 05:25 PM
I'll second the Azureus client.

You can limit the upload pretty well ( and still share) and the d/l speed is good.

Works for me, give it a try, HERE (http://azureus.sourceforge.net/)

DVD PIRATE III
10-28-2003, 05:29 PM
its definitely getting hard to choose a client these days with all the new ones coming out daily

Supernatural
10-28-2003, 05:29 PM
Azureus does look good, but a bit over complicated. I'm gonna try Nova for a little while.

Mavol
10-28-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by soma@28 October 2003 - 12:23
It sure would suck if you dl about 95% of the file and everyone bailed and youre left with an incomplete file that will never be finished...i learned that the hard way ;)
so have i ;) 1.4GB/1.5GB & no1 around

Gre1
10-28-2003, 07:05 PM
I agree with muchspl2 get that client.

ang3r
10-29-2003, 05:43 PM
what do you guys mean by bittorent program ?
is that another program that does something to bittorent to make it faster?

Gre1
10-29-2003, 05:47 PM
There are different clients, they don't do anything to make it faster though.

ryanraab
10-31-2003, 08:05 AM
I'm with muchspl2! Shadow is the best client.

muchspl2
10-31-2003, 08:08 AM
ask anyone in the know, shadow's is #1

randm01
11-01-2003, 03:28 AM
shadows is the best used with netlimiter set to 2k below your max upload..or for dailup set upload to 2k and youll find itll work good for you.

true_neo
11-01-2003, 01:42 PM
I used BitTorrent++, and liked the GUI and the fact that you could DL 2 torrents at a time.
But I switched to Shad0ws client now, after reading what you ppl say here...

I miss bein able to have 2 torrents at a time dling...
Can you ppl convince me to keep using Shad0ws?

Rauff
11-03-2003, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by true_neo@1 November 2003 - 13:42
I used BitTorrent++, and liked the GUI and the fact that you could DL 2 torrents at a time.
But I switched to Shad0ws client now, after reading what you ppl say here...

I miss bein able to have 2 torrents at a time dling...
Can you ppl convince me to keep using Shad0ws?
that's strange why could i download 3 torrents at the same time using Shad0ws, while you cant even go more then 2??

muchspl2
11-03-2003, 06:31 AM
You are sending bad bit into the swarm using that client, which means that people see

piece failed hash check -redownloading

which, in turn, means that others have to download more than the actual file size.

Because of this, there is an option in the latest Shadow builds that allows kicking and banning of clients that send bad data, ie BT++ users get banned trying to upload failed pieces to Shadow users.

so I could really care less if you keep it cause I use shadows (and refuse your bt++ ass)so for the benefit of everyone else - you should look into changing that ghetto client

true_neo
11-03-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by muchspl2@3 November 2003 - 08:31
so I could really care less if you keep it cause I use shadows (and refuse your bt++ ass)so for the benefit of everyone else - you should look into changing that ghetto client
Lisin pal, you could just as well have told me that without giving me attitude.
Im nOOb to BT, and values info presented in a civil manner better than I do this attitude crap.
Your point is well seen, however. I uninstalled BT++ before I installed Shad0ws.

And Rauff, I have actually not tried having several torrents DLing at the same time, but I assume they will be DLing in sperate windows, instead of be seen inside 1 GUI.

Mavol
11-17-2003, 04:15 PM
well i used to use shareaza to handle torrents & i turned that option off & started using Shadows.

theres loads more info, but this doesnt matter cause i dont get it anyway & the GUI sucks

shadows actually dl more/faster than raza & ul less(! but this could also be cause theres more networks+some files raza dls faster because its more available on other networks)

id leave it to you for picking between these 2 (raza wasnt mentioned before)

NotoriousBIC
11-17-2003, 05:26 PM
I actually use 2 clients nowadays.

-Torrentstorm: Is basically a front-end for Shadow's and groups all seperate windows and info into one handy GUI

-Azureus: Far more advanced than the rest. I use that as it enables you to download seperate files from 1 torrent and it has a built-in tracker, which I can use as backup tracker in case the normal tracker goes down.

I do agree that Shadow's (and thus Torrentstorm) SEEMS faster, but I really don't have any hard evidence for that.

Gre1
11-18-2003, 02:14 AM
I tried those but they just didn't match up to shawdows client to me I want the older version of it I think it is 5.8.2(not sure if correct but the one before the current one) if anyone knows where to get it could u let me know. thanxs.

wienerschnitzel
11-18-2003, 04:17 AM
Im pretty sure all the clients are based on the same core its just that some clients add more features. The only thing that you can do it make your uploads fast but not so fast that it slows down your download and the only way you know how fast to go is throught experence.

I like the UPnP client. It copys every torrent into a folder in My Documents, you can pick which files you want to dl in batch torrents and you can pick which file you have priority. Its based on shadwoz client so you also have all of thoses features.
(yes i do realized that its a client based on a hacked client based on a hacked client) lol

http://aaron2003.myftp.org/upnpclient.html

muchspl2
11-18-2003, 05:35 AM
incorrect, shadows uses the same protocol, but not like what your saying, in fact, most newer clients are using shadows core and just changing the GUI

Gre1
11-18-2003, 01:38 PM
I know there the same but I just want that one.

Mavol
11-22-2003, 03:47 PM
well i just switched from shadow to azureus and i must say that its far more advanced, offers more settings and has a fairly good gui.

that shadows client is faster is not true, its the same. however i must say that in az. you can update the number of clients your connected to manually, while you cant in shadows.

you can also see what client is being used by the other people and at least 50% of them is shadows client and just a few are azureus