PDA

View Full Version : socialized or privatized cleanup?

devilsadvocate
05-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Who should pay for the cleanup of this oil disaster? for that matter who should be cleaning it up?

May those that died rest in peace, my sympathies go to the families.

05-04-2010, 05:18 PM
BP is responsible and I think they even agreed to pay for the clean up, and they should pay for it.

I've heard $4 a gallon gas will be here again for us this summer. I won't be taking as many trips to Santa Fe at that price.

j2k4
05-04-2010, 08:42 PM
BP is (purportedly) wholly financially liable for the environmental aspect; I heard today their domestic liability (lost private income; think shrimp-boats, fishing, tourism, etc.) stops at 170 million.

I don't think that'll go very far.

devilsadvocate
05-04-2010, 09:03 PM
BP is responsible and I think they even agreed to pay for the clean up, and they should pay for it.

How very nice of them

BP is (purportedly) wholly financially liable for the environmental aspect; I heard today their domestic liability (lost private income; think shrimp-boats, fishing, tourism, etc.) stops at 170 million.

I believe there has been a bill introduced to change that to 10 billion +/- and hopefully be retroactive

Edit; http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100503/ap_on_bi_ge/us_oil_spill_liability

A law passed in response to the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska makes BP responsible for cleanup costs. But the law sets a $75 million limit on other kinds of damages.
Economic losses to the Gulf Coast are likely to exceed that. In response, several Democratic senators introduced legislation Monday to raise the liability limit to $10 billion, though it was not clear that it could be made to apply retroactively.

Thanks for both answering the financial part, but what about who should be doing the cleanup. Should it be all these government agencies or should the free market be solving this problem?

clocker
05-04-2010, 09:51 PM
... what about who should be doing the cleanup. Should it be all these government agencies or should the free market be solving this problem?
Wasn't Bobby Jindal- at least briefly- the face of the "Keep Big Gubmint Outta My State!" brigade (otherwise known as Republicans/TeaBaggers)?

Did he not sponsor a bill ((here) (http://whereistand.com/BobbyJindal/50066) encouraging the very same offshore drilling now threatening to destroy his coastline?

Where is the rhetoric and the "firmly held" beliefs now that the rubber finally meets the road?
Dollars to donuts this whiny little bitch starts complaining about the Federal response any day now.

devilsadvocate
05-04-2010, 10:44 PM
You doubt the sincerity of their ideology?

clocker
05-04-2010, 10:59 PM
There's an ideology behind all this nonsense?
Don't tell Sarah Palin...she hates elitist concepts like ideology.

j2k4
05-05-2010, 07:50 PM
... but what about who should be doing the cleanup. Should it be all these government agencies or should the free market be solving this problem?

BP should be paying the entire ticket, compensating any entities enlisted to help, including the U.S.

If BP is slow on the uptake, and an honest appraisal (good luck with that) of the environmental threat indicates more need be done, unilateral action should be taken with costs accruing to BP.

devilsadvocate
05-05-2010, 08:34 PM
But aren't the scariest words ever muttered "I from the government and I'm here to help"?

j2k4
05-05-2010, 11:30 PM
But aren't the scariest words ever muttered "I from the government and I'm here to help"?

Who said anything about government?

clocker
05-05-2010, 11:44 PM
BP should be paying the entire ticket, compensating any entities enlisted to help, including the U.S.

If BP is slow on the uptake, and an honest appraisal (good luck with that) of the environmental threat indicates more need be done, unilateral action should be taken with costs accruing to BP.

Who besides the gubmint could compel BP to live up to their obligations?

devilsadvocate
05-06-2010, 02:22 AM

Read the question.

Should government be cleaning this up/trying to limit the damage as they are doing at the moment or should it be left to the free market?

Should the feds be saying "not our problem" ?

bigboab
05-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Read the question.

Should government be cleaning this up/trying to limit the damage as they are doing at the moment or should it be left to the free market?

They bailed out the financial institutions when they got into deep water. Why not BP?

j2k4
05-06-2010, 09:54 AM
Who should pay for the cleanup of this oil disaster? for that matter who should be cleaning it up?

May those that died rest in peace, my sympathies go to the families.

How very nice of them

I believe there has been a bill introduced to change that to 10 billion +/- and hopefully be retroactive

A law passed in response to the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska makes BP responsible for cleanup costs. But the law sets a $75 million limit on other kinds of damages.
Economic losses to the Gulf Coast are likely to exceed that. In response, several Democratic senators introduced legislation Monday to raise the liability limit to $10 billion, though it was not clear that it could be made to apply retroactively.

Thanks for both answering the financial part, but what about who should be doing the cleanup. Should it be all these government agencies or should the free market be solving this problem?

... but what about who should be doing the cleanup. Should it be all these government agencies or should the free market be solving this problem?

If you will read your own post, you will see that I answered your first question wherein is found no reference to the "government".

My question regarding the interjection of "government" into the cleanup operation was meant to convey merely that it wasn't me who did it, it was you.

If your intent is to ascertain my opinion re: it's involvement, I suggest you use my posting history here as your guide, rather than carp (once again,again,again) about how I'm not answering your fucking questions.

Read the question.

They bailed out the financial institutions when they got into deep water. Why not BP?

Oh, ffs.

devilsadvocate
05-06-2010, 01:21 PM
If you don't want to give a straight answer why participate? posting nothing is better than non answers, especially since you don't like people making assumptions.

The title of the thread might give you a hint. "socialized or privatized cleanup?"

05-06-2010, 09:23 PM
I heard on talk radio that it might have been blown up by a North Korean sub.

clocker
05-06-2010, 10:05 PM
I heard it was Martians.
Obama is soft on aliens, you know.

05-06-2010, 10:51 PM
I heard it was Martians.
Obama is soft on aliens, you know.

Obama thinks the illegal aliens will eventually get amnesty and then vote for democrats. I think they're wrong, at least over the long term. When there gets to be enough Mexicans up here they will form a viable third party, and the white and black liberals who helped them become citizens will ultimately be betrayed by them. They'll vote for Mexican-American candidates, not white liberals and black liberals.

clocker
05-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Obama thinks the illegal aliens will eventually get amnesty and then vote for democrats..
You hadn't mentioned you're a confidant of Barack.
So, tell us...where does he stand on pie v. cake?

j2k4
05-07-2010, 02:03 AM
If you don't want to give a straight answer why participate? posting nothing is better than non answers, especially since you don't like people making assumptions.

The title of the thread might give you a hint. "socialized or privatized cleanup?"

Well, Jesus jumped-up-fucking Christ, maybe when I said BP should clean it up, you'd have settled for that.

How fucking straight an answer do you need?

Do you require not only BP should clean it up, but also The government should not clean it up?

Now-

I used two motherfucking question marks in my motherfucking straight motherfucking answer; I expect two (2) straight motherfucking answers in return, and I will be the arbiter of whether or not you have fulfilled that requirement.

devilsadvocate
05-14-2010, 12:45 AM

It appears this has been blocked by Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska)

clocker
05-14-2010, 12:51 AM
Since it's now apparent that the spill is much, much worse than originally thought, expect to see BP bring more pressure to bear on it's political watercarriers to keep it protected from serious financial harm.
Murkowski is only the first to show her colors, others will follow.

clocker
05-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Murkowski is only the first to show her colors, others will follow.
Gee, it took less than 24 hours...

Fresh off news of the cataclysmic oil spill in the gulf of Mexico, [GOP Connecticut Senate contender Linda] McMahon recently distributed a mailer where she promised to put 'Connecticut back to work' by calling on the government to "increase offshore drilling and production."

[...]

McMahon says it's time to loosen the "burdensome regulations" that can "inhibit growth."

Drilling for oil near sensitive coastline ecosystems is a win-win, [says] McMahon in the mailer. "Offshore oil drilling will create jobs and increase energy supply without cost to the taxpayer," it reads.