PDA

View Full Version : Scotland's Secret Shame?

Billy_Dean
10-30-2003, 08:28 AM
Scotland faces tough task to end sectarianism

By Desmond Kane

GLASGOW (Reuters) - The Scottish government's decision to appoint a full-time official to tackle racism in soccer, the country's national sport, received timely justification during last week's Champions League match between Rangers and Manchester United.

As the champions of Scotland and England took to the pitch, the Champions League theme music was drowned out by the traditionally protestant Rangers fans waving Northern Ireland flags, chanting support for paramilitary organisations and singing sectarian songs.

Much of their vitriol was aimed at bitter Glasgow rivals Celtic, whose roots are in the Irish Republic and who are regarded as a club supported mainly by Catholics.

On the previous night, Celtic fans could be heard singing songs endorsing Irish Republican paramilitary groups during a Champions League tie with Anderlecht.

While discrimination over skin colour is high on the agenda of Scotland's new racism officer, sectarianism is also a major issue.

Depressingly, there is barely any mention of sectarian singing in Scotland's local media, probably because historically such behaviour is regarded as the norm in the rivalry between the country's two biggest clubs.

Yet one newspaper columnist felt moved to remark that he "felt ashamed to be a Scot and a Glaswegian" during Rangers' encounter with United, describing their Ibrox Stadium as a "pit of sectarianism".

DEVELOPMENT WORKER

Rangers ended their policy of refusing to sign Catholics only in 1989 but their Dutch player Fernando Ricksen recently said that the climate of sectarianism in Scottish football forced his club's Catholic players to deny their religion.

"If you play for the Protestant people, you don't play for the Catholic people. If you can't handle that, if you're really a Catholic and you feel too much about it, you don't come to Rangers. You stay away," he said.

Scotland's government, in conjunction with soccer's European governing body UEFA and the Scottish Football Association (SFA), hope the appointment of a full-time "development worker" will address such issues.

Roddy McNulty, the Scotsman appointed to the role, aims to get across the message that there is no place for racism in Scotland but admits this could take some time.

"I think the vast majority of people who go to matches know that there is a problem," said McNulty. "But this initiative is not only about stamping out racism in Scottish football, it's also about tackling racism in Scottish society.

"Using football is a great way to get the message across to all children who see footballers as role models."

It is 14 months since Celtic's Neil Lennon retired from international football with Northern Ireland after receiving sectarian death threats yet the midfielder continues to have problems in Scotland.

In May, he escaped with minor injuries after being assaulted by two Rangers fans as he returned home from a league match with Motherwell.

RACIAL ABUSE

But it is not only sectarianism that McNulty will have to address.

The first black player in Britain to be awarded a cap was Andrew Watson, who played three times for Scotland in 1881-82.

A century later, Celtic defender Paul Elliott and Rangers' Mark Walters were the first two high-profile black players to play in Scottish football. Both were subjected to racial abuse towards the end of the 1980s.

More recently, Celtic players Dianbobo Balde and Didier Agathe have encountered racial abuse on visits to Rangers.

Whether one man can help the situation is debatable and McNulty's appointment, which will cost the government 75,000 pounds over three years, has been branded a "politically correct notion" by critics.

Scotland's first minister Jack McConnell is not deterred. He describes sectarianism as Scotland's secret shame and has called for it to be consigned to "the dustbin of history". Experience suggests this will not happen overnight.

:)

chalice
10-30-2003, 09:51 AM
I wouldn't have thought it was a secret, Billy. In fact, the Belfast to Stranraer ferry has always been a honey-pot for terrorists. There's been arrests, brawls, assassinations, the lot. They may as well fly a Jolly Roger.

Billy_Dean
10-30-2003, 10:33 AM
That's right Chalice, but they weren't my words, I lifted them from the article.

Scotland's first minister Jack McConnell is not deterred. He describes sectarianism as Scotland's secret shame and has called for it to be consigned to "the dustbin of history".

But what to do, when even the British constitution, (I know, I know!) discriminates against Catholics to this day?

:)

chalice
10-30-2003, 12:03 PM
I do feel sorry for Neil Lennon, though. He was in the same class in school as my wife. He's a Lurgan boy done good. I find it obscene that he can't captain his national team without getting bullets through the post. Oh it runs deep over here.

mrcall1969
11-01-2003, 04:09 PM
While not saying the original post is exagerrated, the racism part is not nearly as bad as is made out. Sure, there are mindless morons who "support" every club, not just in Scotland, and these innevitably grab the headlines.

The only time I have really witnessed racism is at "auld firm" matches and I say that as a seaon ticket holder at Celtic Park and regularly attend away matches too.
Also, I can never say I've heard racist chants coming from any of the fans around me.

Sectarianism is a big problem here in Scotland though, again there are faults on both sides and both Celtic and Rangers, particulary Celtic, are making strides in the right direction to stamp this out. For instance, if I was to make a sectarian or racist remark which was overheard by a steward or other club employee, I would be ejected and banned from the ground.

I don't make this point to try and shift the blame, but when a team brings out an away strip that is Orange in colour, the traditional colour of Protestantism, and plays songs before the match that clearly contain the type of music that you hear from sectarian flute bands, then you are never going to educate fans that what the sing or shout is wrong.

Spider_dude
11-01-2003, 04:22 PM
i was thinking the same thing while watching my celtic against anderlecht, i could hear the words of the soldier song, loud and clear, i believed the tv station must have had a mic really close to the away fans. does anyone know if there was any trouble at the rangers game, as i heard a large group of english (chelsea) casuals were on their way up to "supposrt" rangers against man utd.

3rd gen noob
11-01-2003, 04:27 PM
i think they should just ban football

:-"

The Knife Thrower
11-01-2003, 05:59 PM
I am from scotland. Sectarianism doesn't seem to be much of a problem. However I do see alot of people singing filthy sectarianist songs. The trouble is I think some of them don't know why it's wrong.

blade1356uk
11-02-2003, 07:17 PM
My family are both Catholics & C of E ,my Dad 2 Brother's are Catholic,my Mum younger brother & sister are C of E ,and as far as family's go no fuss was made about me going to a C of E Church with either my mum,s family or my Dad's family.I have alway,s thought that all this catholic & c of e stuff to be stupid & childish.well that's my opinion being in a multi cultured family.thankyou