PDA

View Full Version : Using Chrome

Slickerey
06-04-2010, 08:08 PM
So I finally decided to switch to Google Chrome today.

What can I really say? There's nothing bad about it. It's pretty fast. It's also a lot lighter on my system than Firefox was. :)

Is anybody else getting a laggy scroll? That's the only thing I don't like about Chrome. :dry:

Tv Controls you
06-04-2010, 08:50 PM
So I finally decided to switch to Google Chrome today.

What can I really say? There's nothing bad about it. It's pretty fast. It's also a lot lighter on my system than Firefox was. :)

Is anybody else getting a laggy scroll? That's the only thing I don't like about Chrome. :dry:

It's faster than plain firefox.

Although if you tweak firefox, then firefox is alot faster.
My opinion is if something is working so well for such a long period of time, why switch?

Slickerey
06-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Firefox can be a real resource hog at times. :dry:

I haven't found any tweaks that work. Do you know of any?

anon
06-04-2010, 09:00 PM
I haven't found any tweaks that work. Do you know of any?

Reducing the initial paint delay and RAM cache size may help you feel Firefox more responsive.

Have you tried Opera?

Skiz
06-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Chrome is fast, but I don't find Firefox to be slow. It's fine for me.

Chrome not having an ad-blocker is a deal breaker for me tho'.

anon
06-04-2010, 09:39 PM

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

Or you can try Iron, a fork with its own built-in ad blocker.

Skiz
06-04-2010, 10:09 PM

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

Or you can try Iron, a fork with its own built-in ad blocker.

I'll keep it in mind. Like I said though, I'm not dissatisfied with FF in any way. I still very much enjoy a couple of other extensions and really like the UI.

Slickerey
06-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Have you tried Opera?

I've only tried version 6 of Opera.

I actually liked it. It was pretty fast and small, but I keep hearing that the newer version of Opera is bloatware. :mellow:

Rart
06-04-2010, 10:12 PM
A minor annoyance to keep in mind though if you're looking to use an ad blocker on chrome, is that the engine it runs on doesn't allow for the blocking of images before they even load.

Whenever you load a site with an ad, it'll load and then pop up for a brief moment before being blocked, which can be a little unnerving.

Chrome has gone a long way in incorporating many of the add ons and plugins that FF users are used to, though.

anon
06-04-2010, 10:13 PM
I've only tried version 6 of Opera.

I actually liked it. It was pretty fast and small, but I keep hearing that the newer version of Opera is bloatware. :mellow:

It has a few other functions apart from being a Web browser (e-mail and IRC clients), but I don't really consider that being bloat.

If you want to give a newer version a try, get the portable here:
http://www.opera-usb.com/

If you don't like it, just delete the folder and it's gone, no registry keys or anything.

Slickerey
06-05-2010, 03:53 PM
It's actually pretty fast.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it can be unresponsive at times.

Thanks for the link. :)

anon
06-05-2010, 04:34 PM

Disable skins and special effects (Shift+F12), then go to opera:config and disable Turbo mode (don't confuse with Opera Turbo) - that feature resizes images as they load, making things more sluggish.

After doing that, restart the browser and see if you feel it a tad more responsive. :)

tesco
06-06-2010, 02:02 PM

Disable skins and special effects (Shift+F12), then go to opera:config and disable Turbo mode (don't confuse with Opera Turbo) - that feature resizes images as they load, making things more sluggish.

After doing that, restart the browser and see if you feel it a tad more responsive. :)
Turbo mode makes it slower?:pinch:

anon
06-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Yes. Ironic, huh? :happy:

graywolf
06-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Greasemetal is not still par with Greasemonkey. Of course, it matters only if you use so many scripts.

Bakura
06-06-2010, 04:50 PM
from alittle time i used chrome but it is so similar to opera
and firefox is more reliable for work than chrome

anon
06-06-2010, 04:54 PM
from alittle time i used chrome but it is so similar to opera

In what sense? I've been using Opera for 4 years and didn't find Chrome similar to it in the slightest.

tareq514
06-09-2010, 01:33 PM
I am using chrome, it is really great browser.

Mokhtar
06-09-2010, 03:44 PM
stil comes far day when browser more safe then IE8 comes. all have security problems but u never see anything on IE8 needing patch or upgrade.
this is reality.

anon
06-09-2010, 05:36 PM
u never see anything on IE8 needing patch or upgrade.

Not really :noes: No browser is flawless, though.

Nice to see Microsoft is at least trying to do things right with IE9, however.

nthpeter
06-09-2010, 06:08 PM
u never see anything on IE8 needing patch or upgrade.

Not really :noes: No browser is flawless, though.

Nice to see Microsoft is at least trying to do things right with IE9, however.

Any dates of beta or RC, IE9 is new to me.

On topic, chrome is great and have better interface and is more logical than IEs, but i dont like its look on Win7, IE is just better with Win7.

anon
06-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Any dates of beta or RC, IE9 is new to me.

Here you go:
http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/

I've only read a few reviews in computing blogs - trying it myself is out of the question, since Windows XP is not and will not be supported.

Skiz
06-09-2010, 09:14 PM
stil comes far day when browser more safe then IE8 comes. all have security problems but u never see anything on IE8 needing patch or upgrade.
this is reality.

That is so wrong.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9174101/Hacker_busts_IE8_on_Windows_7_in_2_minutes

Chrome was the only browser not to get hacker during Pwn2Own.

BangComedy
06-13-2010, 03:38 PM
I tried Google Chrome a few times and never liked it quite much, the feel that is. It is quite fast, but the look and feel is not for me. I will just stick to my Mozilla FireFox.

anon
06-29-2010, 06:05 PM
I think chrome is better

If I don't have to explain myself either, then Opera is better than anything :yup:

CryBaby
06-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Yeah, that laggy scroll annoyed me but it disappeared after some time. Don't know if something was interfering with Chrome or was it just time of the year.
But I do remember having laggy scroll in Firefox too. That thing is still present on some pages. I even get freezes lately.

vipinfinity
06-30-2010, 06:39 PM
chorome is better then firefox

anon
06-30-2010, 07:29 PM
chorome is better then firefox

I know you're only posting that to get to 20 posts, but if you ever open this thread again, I'd like you to tell me why you think Chrome is better than Firefox.

Quarterquack
06-30-2010, 08:20 PM
I know you're only posting that to get to 20 posts, but if you ever open this thread again, I'd like you to tell me why you think Chrome is better than Firefox.

It's based on webkit instead of the (notably) slower gecko; and it also sandboxes any given command. Between the sandboxing and the parameter randomization, it's virtually impenetrable by 99% of browser exploits. :happy:

If only google wasn't the company that made it, right?

anon
06-30-2010, 08:22 PM
It's based on webkit instead of the (notably) slower gecko; and it also sandboxes any given command. Between the sandboxing and the parameter randomization, it's virtually impenetrable by 99% of browser exploits. :happy:

Thank you for providing the answer vipinfinity would have probably never given. :)

If only google wasn't the company that made it, right?

At least it's open source. :P

Aristocles
06-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Not to hijack but I did not want to start a new thread. Sorry.

I just got a RC version of Opera 10.60.

I got up this morning (afternoon, as it were) and found that neither IE 8 nor FF would open! So, I used Chrome to download Opera. Compulsive, that way. Ultimately I had to shitcan addons on both IE 8 and FF to get them to run. Shit, I am so PC illiterate. . .

Anyway, I cannot even get how to access "tools" on the browser, so as to import FF bookmarks. Yeah, I know, I know. . . DUMB!

Anyway, could you help an old dumb guy. Guess my passwords, ect. are gone :(

anon
06-30-2010, 09:28 PM
If what you want is rescuing your Firefox bookmarks, open Opera and follow this procedure:
http://browsers.about.com/od/op3/ss/opfoxwindows.htm

As for the passwords, if you're still able to install addons on FF, get this one:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2848/

Aristocles
06-30-2010, 09:58 PM
The issue with Opera is that there is no "toolbar", "file", "edit", etc. option at top of browser.

anon
06-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Try pressing Shift+F12, this will make the "Appearance" dialog, where you can add a menu bar to your setup or just reset the toolbar settings.

Aristocles
06-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Try pressing Shift+F12, this will make the "Appearance" dialog, where you can add a menu bar to your setup or just reset the toolbar settings.

Found it! It's the old "blind hog and acorn" thing.

Thanks

anon
06-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Glad I could help. :)

eddywong
07-03-2010, 11:58 AM
I am sorry for no comment for Google Chrome due to I am not use it now. however, I heard it is faster than other browser, I will tried it later.

whatsalah
08-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Yes, try it, you won't regret!
You can try a portable version, as well.

vthl
08-13-2010, 06:29 PM
chrome is definately the fastest for ex try n load farmville into it ...it will show a damm difference

rdtphd
08-26-2010, 07:04 AM
last time i was using chrome facebook would not work right with it. u could not click send or post to update status or post. I googled it and many ppl had the problem but i didnt find any answers at the time that was a couple weeks ago. so back to FF. I like the look and feel of chrome the gui. I perfer FF for functionality and addons. So I set out to customize my FF and this was the result.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/50race/stuff/6a20555d.png

the look of chrome but its its my loved FF. I go for max webpage space in the browser window minus room for my bookmarks bar =)

Stabber
08-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Chrome is really fast and with the adblock extension i like to use it . But there are some webpages that won't open for chrome and when using idm integration i have some problems with it

sangos
08-27-2010, 02:43 AM
FF all the way !!
yeah Chrome is fast and good for loading lots of images and vids in the same time but after a while - if u got used to FF- you will get so annoyed.
i have about 20 extinctions that made my life so much easier like ad-block, chatzilla, c4c, fireftp and lots more...
bottom line yeah Chrome is faster but FF are better due to all the Plugins :D:D maybe a year or 2 when google do that - lots of plugins that u wonder what to do with it :P- Chrome will be better !! :)