PDA

View Full Version : Who deserves to get punished?

bigboab
06-11-2010, 06:43 PM
You know who your friends are when the blame is wrongly attributed to you, when they get into a wee bit of trouble. The recent BP oil spill has the U.S.A.(Obama administration) up in arms and blaming Britaine wrongly.

Quote;

'Our job is to keep the boot on the neck of British Petroleum'
Ken Salazar.

'We talk to these people, so I know whose ass to kick'
Obama.

'There is going to be economic damage that we've got to make sure BP compensates people for'
White House(not their grammar expert, I hope)

One or two things need pointing out;

It is no longer called British Petroleum. It changed in 2000 and it probably now stands for Bharat Petroleum a company in India who own it. Nobody is sure what it was changed to.

I can't remember an American President using this rhetoric when the following happended;

The Bhopal tragedy

Exxon Valdez

Torrey Canyon

Piper Alpha

All owned by American companies.

Why was Wall Street and all the other economic gamblers around the world made to pay for the loss of trillions of various currencies and the economic collapse of most of the western world?

opinions please.:)

j2k4
06-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Hmm.

Don't care for the rhetoric, eh?

Join the club, Bob.

darkstate01
06-11-2010, 08:06 PM
The sad thing is, on the days leading to the disaster the big bad bosses were all aboard the platform,They were pushing for the drilling to be moved faster to get to the oil as it had been weeks overdue, The managers onboard were telling them this would be dangerous but were over ruled.
It annoys me that this kinda shit happens the world over, the fat cats hindering and not listening to the pro's just because there pockets aren't getting lined.
I'm amazed the u.s president isn't getting his facts right about who's to be blamed, but hey this isn't new to america,just look at the monkey(bush) they had before him.

Skiz
06-11-2010, 08:09 PM
You know who your friends are when the blame is wrongly attributed to you, when they get into a wee bit of trouble. The recent BP oil spill has the U.S.A.(Obama administration) up in arms and blaming Britaine wrongly.

Quote;

Ken Salazar.

Twit. Was a controversial statement when it was made, and even Obama said it was a poor choice of words.

Obama.

It was a pretty broad statement. IMO he was talking about all parties involved, not just BP.

'There is going to be economic damage that we've got to make sure BP compensates people for'
White House(not their grammar expert, I hope)

BP is the one who initially stated they would be paying for all damages, both economic and environmental alike.

bigboab
06-11-2010, 08:50 PM
BP is the one who initially stated they would be paying for all damages, both economic and environmental alike.

Does this mean that the rhetoric was just hot air to score political points? When BP made that statement there was no need for further comments. Why attack a British Registered company? You should attack the owners, if you need to attack anybody.

I will just put it down to friendly fire.:)

It was only a matter of time Kev. Give them enough rope etc. His father probably put him up to it:whistling.

devilsadvocate
06-11-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote;

Ken Salazar.

Obama. To be fair he was replying to a question that asked if he was going to "kick any butt"

White House(not their grammar expert, I hope) (by the way is "Britaine" an alternative spelling?)

One or two things need pointing out;

It is no longer called British Petroleum. It changed in 2000 and it probably now stands for Bharat Petroleum a company in India who own it. Nobody is sure what it was changed to.

I can't remember an American President using this rhetoric when the following happended;

The Bhopal tragedy

Exxon Valdez

Torrey Canyon

Piper Alpha

All owned by American companies.

Why was Wall Street and all the other economic gamblers around the world made to pay for the loss of trillions of various currencies and the economic collapse of most of the western world?

opinions please.:)

I don't recall anyone blaming the British nation, wouldn't put it past certain people mind you.

As with all public companies shareholders would be worldwide. It doesn't make any difference for me personally. I am of the opinion that whoever does the damage should be held accountable. In this case BP no matter what the initials stand for. I would feel the same if it was an American company.

There should be no cap on damages, pay whatever it costs.

I can't argue your point about it only counting if it's someone else. That is the standard these days. That is the standard these days. Seems principles are a rare thing.

Skiz
06-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Does this mean that the rhetoric was just hot air to score political points? When BP made that statement there was no need for further comments. Why attack a British Registered company? You should attack the owners, if you need to attack anybody.

I didn't consider it that.

I'd wager that far fewer Americans watched Tony Hayward‎'s brief press conference in the early afternoon on a weekday than did Obamas press conference later that afternoon. One that was replayed on the news several times later that night. I watched Obama's press conference live and received it as a reassurance from the President to the American people, especially those of us on the Gulf, that BP would be held to their promise; nothing more.

As devilsadvocate also mentioned, I haven't perceived this as an attack on Britain either, nor have I in the 50+/- days of the oil spill heard a single person directly or indirectly blame this on anyone but BP.

bigboab
06-11-2010, 10:28 PM
I don't recall anyone blaming the British nation, wouldn't put it past certain people mind you.

As with all public companies shareholders would be worldwide. It doesn't make any difference for me personally. I am of the opinion that whoever does the damage should be held accountable. In this case BP no matter what the initials stand for. I would feel the same if it was an American company.

There should be no cap on damages, pay whatever it costs.

I can't argue your point about it only counting if it's someone else. That is the standard these days. Seems principles are a rare thing.[/QUOTE]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1285708/David-Cameron-ducks-chance-speak-BP-cynical-attacks-Obama.html

They are treating the rhetoric seriously over here. This is considered a very right wing paper and friend of the U.S.A. Cameron is calling it a british company too. Dont they ever check up who actually owns these companies before they open their mouths?

As long as they clean the whole thing up everything should eventually return to normal. Sad about the loss of wildlife though.

No reply regarding punishing the economic gamblers who are back to their old ways again. At least they are over here, huge bonuses etc.

They should make Texas pay for the clean up. After all they have prospered on oil for the last 100 years.:whistling

P.S. Nearly 12p.m. past my bedtime. Can't stay up they way I used to.:lol:

devilsadvocate
06-11-2010, 10:31 PM
As devilsadvocate also mentioned, I haven't perceived this as an attack on Britain either, nor have I in the 50+/- days of the oil spill heard a single person directly or indirectly blame this on anyone but BP.

I've heard a few talking heads blame Obama. Apparently it's his fault because he didn't regulate the industry. Oddly the talking heads in question are the same ones that were previously complaining about Obama over regulating as part of his plan to destroy America.

devilsadvocate
06-11-2010, 10:56 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1285708/David-Cameron-ducks-chance-speak-BP-cynical-attacks-Obama.html

They are treating the rhetoric seriously over here. This is considered a very right wing paper and friend of the U.S.A. Cameron is calling it a british company too. Dont they ever check up who actually owns these companies before they open their mouths?

As long as they clean the whole thing up everything should eventually return to normal. Sad about the loss of wildlife though.

The problem is that it seems they are spending more time on PR than actual action. We have more reports of the press complaining about BP denying access than we have footage of the damage. Couple this with the failure to stop the leak and going the dispersal instead of removal route with the spilled oil and frustration is rising.

Add the news that this could have been avoided if certain measures had been taken beforehand and the frustration rises

No reply regarding punishing the economic gamblers who are back to their old ways again. At least they are over here, huge bonuses etc.

They should make Texas pay for the clean up. After all they have prospered on oil for the last 100 years.:whistling
I didn't get my share :angry:

P.S. Nearly 12p.m. past my bedtime. Can't stay up they way I used to.:lol:

2AAa0gd7ClM

bigboab
06-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Has anyone watched the 'Kangaroo Court'. With the exception of the Texas Rep they were playing to the cameras. I didn't know if they were elected members or extras from Deliverance. If I was the BP rep I would just have walked out. What right has American politicians to treat a foreign national in the way they did? Is an invasion of the U.K. imminent?:whistling

devilsadvocate
06-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Has anyone watched the 'Kangaroo Court'. With the exception of the Texas Rep they were playing to the cameras. I didn't know if they were elected members or extras from Deliverance. If I was the BP rep I would just have walked out. What right has American politicians to treat a foreign national in the way they did? Is an invasion of the U.K. imminent?:whistling

I agree that lawmakers like to play to the camera, however I have to ask if you actually think anyone OTHER than BP should be held responsible?

If this had happened during the Bush term perhaps BP would be treated with kid gloves, after all Haliburton is involved, but there are different people in charge now and the fact that it's BP taking the hit is simply because they are the ones with the spill. If it was a US company the people in charge right now would behave just the same.

bigboab
06-18-2010, 04:38 PM

I agree that lawmakers like to play to the camera, however I have to ask if you actually think anyone OTHER than BP should be held responsible?

If this had happened during the Bush term perhaps BP would be treated with kid gloves, after all Haliburton is involved, but there are different people in charge now and the fact that it's BP taking the hit is simply because they are the ones with the spill. If it was a US company the people in charge right now would behave just the same.

Yes! most of the construction and other companies were American.

P.s. I'm off on holiday. not to the Red Neck Riviera.:whistling

pentomato
06-18-2010, 06:15 PM
The texas rep? That's funny, and that tells you how much republicans care about the people, they just care about the money they got or they can get in their pockets, shame on any ignorant that votes republican.

Skiz
06-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Sheesh, this thread is like one big conspiracy theory. You guys have gone off the deep end. :ermm:

devilsadvocate
06-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Yes! most of the construction and other companies were American.

I'm not denying the fact that American contractors were used. The thing is the license was granted to BP which makes them wholly responsible. That they used contractors instead of doing the work themselves is irrelevant. If BP feels they are deserving of compensation from the contractors then they have every right to seek it.

You seem to have a bat in your ass over this, but just to be clear for my part I believe that the one that does the damage is the one that has to make it right, no matter who it is. I am with you on the point you made about past incidents. I can't stand laws that allow companies to pollute and leave the clean up to someone else. I'm mostly okay with free market minimal regulation rules, but it must come with no socializing the damage.

I like this escrow fund idea. It makes sure the polluter doesn't skip town and it shows the polluter is serious about it's responsibility.

l33tpirata13
06-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Whoever sides on the side of that little faggot Tony Hayworth, is a FUCKING MORON!!!! Talk about a complete piece of shit. Kangaroo Court? yeah maybe, but that fucker deserves to be waterboarded and hung by that little peanut he calls a dick.

I wonder what people will say when they cant plug the shit and it becomes a global problem. Lets see if your still siding with that moron then.

bigboab
06-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Whoever sides on the side of that little faggot Tony Hayworth, is a FUCKING MORON!!!! Talk about a complete piece of shit. Kangaroo Court? yeah maybe, but that fucker deserves to be waterboarded and hung by that little peanut he calls a dick*.

I wonder what people will say when they cant plug the shit and it becomes a global problem. Lets see if your still siding with that moron then.

I have not seen anyone side with Tony Hayworth.:ermm: It was the means of interrogation and the interrogators I was questioning.

* How did you become aware of this? :whistling

l33tpirata13
06-21-2010, 09:24 PM
It was the means of interrogation and the interrogators I was questioning.

ok so you decide to use Rep.Barton as the ONE exception? that inbred, self satisfying, piece of shit? REALLY? Let me ask you something, HOW DID YOU BECOME AWARE OF THIS?

j2k4
06-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Any of this really warrant further discussion?

clocker
06-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Not really.

BP has accepted responsibility, now it's just a question of how they will weasel out of it and who will enable them.

Rart
07-04-2010, 03:14 PM
You could always just nuke (http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-20009648-76.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0) the Gulf and be done with it.

j2k4
07-04-2010, 04:16 PM
No need, no more.

The Gulf finally has a whale, I see...so - no worries, right?

clocker
07-16-2010, 12:21 AM
no body deserve to punish ....
Thank you, Rush.

bigboab
10-29-2010, 06:45 AM
Not really.

BP has accepted responsibility, now it's just a question of how they will weasel out of it and who will enable them.

They have manged to do just that!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1324671/Vindication-BP-tests-blame-U-S-firm-oil-rig-fault.html

devilsadvocate
10-29-2010, 11:43 PM
They have manged to do just that!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1324671/Vindication-BP-tests-blame-U-S-firm-oil-rig-fault.html

Well then it looks like BP may have a major lawsuit against Haliburton.

It still changes nothing about who is accountable. It's BP's site