PDA

View Full Version : How To Help Ppl With Bw Limit Survive On Bt?

james_bond_rulez
11-01-2003, 02:54 PM
ok i've heard a lot of complaints about ppl whose isps give them lame bw allotments like 1.5GB uploads a month.

they often complaint about going over the limit so quick using bt and got their traffic capped so bad it's like using a 56k modem all over again.

any way to help them staying within sharing 1.5GB a month and still be able to download like other bt users?

btw leechers in bt still share unlike leechers in kazaa who dont share at all.

so this is NOT a topic on how to leech or how to be freeloaders.

EDIT: oops sorry mods i posted in the wrong section, move this thread to file sharing or somehting, thx :D

james_bond_rulez
11-01-2003, 02:58 PM
ok i'll start first

there are programs out there like netlimiter to manage your internet traffic but that doesn't really work well with bittorrent. if you cap your upload you cap your download as well

how much you upload is how much you download, is the motto in bt

so is there anyway to change that?

Storm
11-01-2003, 03:38 PM
nope....... i have the same problem though.......... my cap is @ 1.5GB, everything over costs MAJOR cash :(

Gre1
11-01-2003, 03:51 PM
So they just have to live with thier cap. Shit that 1.5 gig is one 2 disc xvid movie I couldn't live like that. I feel sorry for peeps with caps and I hate ISPs that give em.

NotoriousBIC
11-01-2003, 04:33 PM
Damn, I feel sorry for those guys. It's hard for me to survive a 50 Gb upload limit :ph34r:

Storm
11-01-2003, 07:17 PM
nm

The Knife Thrower
11-02-2003, 10:35 AM
It is pretty easy for them to survive. They should download a bittorrent client called azureus. You can set your upload speed in it. I once tried to see how low I could put my upload speed before it had an affect on my download speed. I was able to set it as low as 6/5Kbytes and still get not effect on my upload speed (which was about 70kbytes.

But there are some things you might like to know:

I did this once to see what would happen.
It was on a torrent from suprnova.org

james_bond_rulez
11-02-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by The Knife Thrower@2 November 2003 - 10:35
It is pretty easy for them to survive. They should download a bittorrent client called azureus. You can set your upload speed in it. I once tried to see how low I could put my upload speed before it had an affect on my download speed. I was able to set it as low as 6/5Kbytes and still get not effect on my upload speed (which was about 70kbytes.

But there are some things you might like to know:

I did this once to see what would happen.
It was on a torrent from suprnova.org
ok thx, that's useful information :lol:

Gre1
11-02-2003, 02:55 PM
Sounds like leeching to me.

james_bond_rulez
11-02-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Gre1@2 November 2003 - 14:55
Sounds like leeching to me.
not to these ppl with caps

Icey
11-02-2003, 03:57 PM
well its still leeching.. caps or no caps

muchspl2
11-02-2003, 07:31 PM
agreed, what about the people that give them bandwidth and they give nothing, no point in auguring, but it leeching.

james_bond_rulez
11-02-2003, 07:42 PM
then i ask you this:

do you upload more than you download? always?

i dont think so

i download way more than i upload, because that's just the way my isp allows me to.

if you define a leecher as download more than upload then you are wrong, so wrong. A leecher is a person who download without uploading at all.

ppl with caps have their difficulties but they are NOT leechers. they still upload but in very limited ways.

get the facts straight b4 u criticize.

Switeck
11-02-2003, 07:46 PM
Make sure to NOT put your upload speeds anywhere NEAR you connection's upload bandwidth limits. The bandwidth/sec throttles that kick on cause MULTIPLE UPLOADING of the same parts that failed to send out on 1st try. Your ISP counts failed upload attempts as well as successful ones.

Set the MTU value as HIGH as possible -- with 1,500 bytes typically being the highest that normally works. This minimizes the amount of ip packet headers per MB sent out, because each packet is larger so FEWER are needed.