PDA

View Full Version : A few usenet questions?

TopKill
08-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Searched forum using google first, but I didn't get any answers.

I wrote a really long post, but I figured out some of the questions myself. Anyone, I just signed up for the 14 day free trial at newshosting yesterday, and would've signed up for nzbmatrix's premium account if it wasn't for f(*^%*5k paypal and their damn need for verification even though I just used the bloody thing last month :angry: a simple and soon to be fixed paypal problem.

Still, I would like to get a bit more experience from those that use it before committing myself completely.

1. What percent is your usenet usage for shows, movies, music?

2. How fast do the shows, movies, music that you watch/listen to show up on usenet compared to your private trackers? I got an idea of this today, when a a few comedy shows appeared 1 hour on the index here before it did on btn.

3. Not a big problem, since I have a huge buffer at this asian flick tracker, but are there a lot of asian movies on usenet? Most of what I searched for wasn't found, though it did well on one little known korean movie.

4. I'm using newshosting for $15 a month, unlimited 14 day free trial. Any personal experience with them? Feel free to recommend anything better!

Thanks!

Hypatia
08-03-2010, 01:05 PM
1. What percent is your usenet usage for shows, movies, music?

Im a "heavy" downloader.I get mostly movies(preferably in HD), some TV shows, PC games from usenet. 90% i search for i find there.

2. How fast do the shows, movies, music that you watch/listen to show up on usenet compared to your private trackers? I got an idea of this today, when a a few comedy shows appeared 1 hour on the index here before it did on btn.

a) It depends. usually really fast(some minutes after PRE, especially popular tv shows, movies)

1 hour on the index here
b) You should learn the difference between nzb files posted here
and actual messages posted to usenet
read this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nzb

In other words its people who post nzb files on forums\ special sites and they dont monitor usenet every minute. Stuff can be posted houres , days, months ago yet never been posted as nzb files on these forums.

There are a number of usenet indexes like nzbindex.nl \ binsearch.info they index everything that is posted to usenet. BUT there is such a thing as turn around time. usually its from x to xx minutes. SO you should take into consideration that stuff can be posted on usenet already but index sites havent indexed it yet meaning search will return you 0 results.

If you want to be able to find stuff posted to usenet almost immediately then u need to download headers
or use search service with a great update rate such as for instance Supersearch( it updates every 1 min,Newsleecher beta 20 client has it, it can also get headers manually, old school way of working with usenet)
Also quite often posters use just scene names to avoid DMCA takedowns. So u need to know the release scene filename

3. Not a big problem, since I have a huge buffer at this asian flick tracker, but are there a lot of asian movies on usenet? Most of what I searched for wasn't found, though it did well on one little known korean movie.
There are quite a few but ull find more on a dedicated completely to asiab movies trackers.
for instance such groups as alt.binaries.asianusenet. U should try searching by original and english title and learn how use search engines.
btw could u give me several examples of asian movies u couldnt find, just curious

4. I'm using newshosting for $15 a month, unlimited 14 day free trial. Any personal experience with them? Feel free to recommend anything better!
I would stick to Astraweb( $11 a month). (http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html)

Newshsoting lacks in retention , completion and takes down movies\games posted to usenet due to DMCA notices from the copyright bandits more often than astraweb.

heiska
08-03-2010, 02:22 PM
To get the shit as soon as it gets upped to usenet, you'll have to use irc as there is an announce channel there: #alt.binaries.teevee @efnet. Also #a.b.moovee/erotica/inner-sanctum etc. Just look around.

TopKill
08-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Okay, thanks to you both!

@Hypatia, yeah I just cancelled newshosting, and will switch to astraweb. I knew of the retention problems, but not that they were that bad. Read a bit more, and came across a lot of complaints. And about the asian movies, I meant I couldn't find them on matrix, not usenet. My fault. The one I couldn't find was Princess Aurora. I did find Chungking Express though.

I'll take everything you said into consideration, and heiska, I'll check that channel out.

Thanks again!

c0ld
08-03-2010, 05:37 PM
To get the shit as soon as it gets upped to usenet, you'll have to use irc as there is an announce channel there: #alt.binaries.teevee @efnet. Also #a.b.moovee/erotica/inner-sanctum etc. Just look around.

Not really worth it imo.

Places like matrix and nzbs.org have bots that monitor the groups and repost the nzbs, but then they'll also add an rss feed so you can automate it. Unless you want to be constantly monitoring irc to get your nzbs 5 minutes early it's not worth it. Sure, you could have your own irc bot there to pull in the nzbs then interface with a client like sab via folder monitoring or by talking to the api (not really tricky). But, if everyone had ircbots leeching from the channels it would kill them and RSS does it all already so why bother?

Honestly though, I don't have the time to spend trying to get an nzb within a minute of it being upped. I just set up an rss feed, filter it and forget about it.

Hypatia
08-03-2010, 06:06 PM
@efnet.
Guys from efnet rule. id advise getting their nzbs right from their bots just for one reason- there are increasing numbers of fake "efnet" posts.Though if u search though binsearch.info it shows u in 90% cases if a post if password protected.
Though u could always use nzbmatrix and such like sites\forums i guess they spot all efnet releases.. well almost all

bots that monitor the groups and repost the nzbs

well the problem with automonitoring- they might get a fake quite easy. Though i dunno maybe they check somehow if a post is password protected. but that still dont make them experts at fake detection) Manual "job" is better. imho

PS as for Princess Aurora
http://binsearch.info/?q=Princess+Aurora&max=250&adv_age=&server=
there is a dvdrip with english subs
Also there u can see a dvd but u should learn to check little things before downloading like nfo for instance its a netherlands edition so of no use for u(i presume) or carefully examine how a post is titled if there is any indication to what language it might be and stuff like that

c0ld
08-03-2010, 06:29 PM
bots that monitor the groups and repost the nzbs

well the problem with automonitoring- they might get a fake quite easy. p sure matrix get their nzbs from the irc chans, could be wrong though.

Though i dunno maybe they check somehow if a post is password protected.
First segment is enough (tiny). Editors on newzbin have access to a bot that can check, I expect other indexers do too.

Hypatia
08-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Didnt know . Thats nice then.

I guess if they use irc channels then it should be mostly efnet posts. But as far as i remember one can find non-irc posts there as well.
Thats where the risk factor increases slightly..that is if nzb uploader hasnt checked the post and just spotted it.

Though i dont use these sites at all for movies, games... Gimme PRE channel + decent search service with~1 min indexing turn-around time , huge retention and lots of search options like supersearch for example and i dont need anything else.In time u just learn to avoid all the crap posted to usenet and find what u need =)
Well and from time to time i get headers if i need to.
To be honest im not very fond of all these RSS feeds, pure nzb autodownloaders like sabnzbd and such like. But hey thats old me =)) i just like to have complete control over everything and dig deep into that enormous pile of garbage and usefull stuff called usenet lol

Beck38
08-05-2010, 02:51 PM
I would be a bit more 'cautious' on leaping on stuff that 'right out of the box' so to speak. The level/percentage of uploaded stuff that's whacked is, although not high, is enough to grit ones teeth over upon occasion.

So, wait a bit and see if some other **** has spent the time and effort to find out it's a bad posting (or if the actual material in that posting is bad somehow). Unless of course, one doesn't care, and you enjoy leaping on stuff the instant it's released into the wild.

captive
08-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Honestly though, I don't have the time to spend trying to get an nzb within a minute of it being upped. I just set up an rss feed, filter it and forget about it.

spot on, sabnzbd+nzbs.org, set your filters, job done. worked a treat for me for over a year.