PDA

View Full Version : Bittorrent Seeds

Keikan
11-04-2003, 05:10 AM
OK you know how your suppose to keep your window open after downloading so you can become a seed, well can u still become a seeed even tho you closed the window?

muchspl2
11-04-2003, 05:17 AM
:huh: no

muchspl2
11-04-2003, 05:18 AM
^^

sorry for the DP

Keikan
11-04-2003, 05:19 AM
so thats a yes, i can just reopen the torrent

stoi
11-04-2003, 06:05 AM
well yes you can just reopen it and reseed it later but be very carefull to see what tracker the torrent is on before you do this.

the big trackers like SN and DU you will probably be able to get away with it, but on some of the smaller bnbt trackers that are out there, i know the admins (and seeders) of some of those sites are watching the torrents like hawkes.

lets say you download a 1gig file but with your connection only upload 50meg so a 0.050 ratio (i think, its late lol) and then you close your window. well i know some trackers are banning ppl that do this instantly. your best bet is to at least have a share ratio of .500 so upload 500meg of that 1 gig file, and then close the window, and reseed if the torrent needs it in the future.

If you close the window imedietely after the download has completed and you have a rubbish share ratio, then you might be unlucky enough to find that you cant get back on the tracker anymore, not just to reseed the file you downloaded but to get any other torrents as well.

stoi

junkyardking
11-04-2003, 06:16 AM
On shareaza you dont even need a tracker as the g2 network acts as a tracker, so if the tracker go's down you can continue to download of other shareaza users, you can also seed the file on the network.

Gre1
11-04-2003, 06:26 AM
No it doesn't a tracker has to host a torrent and if it is down shareaza won't work.

stoi
11-04-2003, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by junkyardking@4 November 2003 - 06:16
On shareaza you dont even need a tracker as the g2 network acts as a tracker, so if the tracker go's down you can continue to download of other shareaza users, you can also seed the file on the network.
well, i personally think thats crap and will probably kill bittorrent eventually then. yes i have tried shareaza and imo its useless, just a glorified kazaa. when i download off bittorrent then all my upload goes to users who are downloading the file from bittorrent, not off users that are on the same network as me on some crappy p2p software, (i know a lot of bittorrent users dont like) as its basically leeching off the tracker.

lets put it this way, your downloading a 1gig file, (can you see what speed you are uploading in shareaza IE: can you see the split for BT and G2 clients as i cant remember) if you cant then how do you know what you have uploaded (and what the tracker has you accounted for) on bt and how much on G2. from what i can see shareaza might allocate 90% of your upload bw to other G2 users and not to users getting the file off bittorrent.

if the above is the case no wonder bittorrent is getting flooded with leechers, not the users fault but the shareaza`s programs fault, and even if it splits it 50/50 its still not on as all the bandwidth should go to ppl who are getting it off bit.

btw if none of the above makes sense, its 6:30am here and im wrecked lol i just cant see how any good can come out of a (crappy) p2p program having bittorrent incorporated in it.

stoi

junkyardking
11-04-2003, 08:48 AM
Gre1
No it doesn't a tracker has to host a torrent and if it is down shareaza won't work.
Not anymore it now has trackerless bittorent Shareaza v 1.8.9.34
http://forums.shareaza.com/showthread.php?threadid=8680

well, i personally think thats crap and will probably kill bittorrent eventually then. yes i have tried shareaza and imo its useless, just a glorified kazaa. when i download off bittorrent then all my upload goes to users who are downloading the file from bittorrent, not off users that are on the same network as me on some crappy p2p software, (i know a lot of bittorrent users dont like) as its basically leeching off the tracker.

lets put it this way, your downloading a 1gig file, (can you see what speed you are uploading in shareaza IE: can you see the split for BT and G2 clients as i cant remember) if you cant then how do you know what you have uploaded (and what the tracker has you accounted for) on bt and how much on G2. from what i can see shareaza might allocate 90% of your upload bw to other G2 users and not to users getting the file off bittorrent.

if the above is the case no wonder bittorrent is getting flooded with leechers, not the users fault but the shareaza`s programs fault, and even if it splits it 50/50 its still not on as all the bandwidth should go to ppl who are getting it off bit.

btw if none of the above makes sense, its 6:30am here and im wrecked lol i just cant see how any good can come out of a (crappy) p2p program having bittorrent incorporated in it.

stoi

I dont see how it's a glorified kazaa it has all the features kazza doesnt, partial filesharing, error correction, access to three network, ghost file ratings, able to use sites like sharereactor for all three networks.

As far as i can see, it only tells you what part of the file you've uploaded not how much but they probaly do somthing about this later.

I dont see how you think this can be a bad thing, As far uploading to other shareaza users who are not using bittorent it seems yes it does this,
But to me it seems like an evouloution for bittorent instead of releying on a tracker that can get overloaded, go down and what not, it now becomes a distribuated network that operates the same way distributing the file without a tracker. :D

RealitY
11-04-2003, 09:23 AM
Well stoi I think you may want to take a look at the latest BT client in Shareaza as it has quickly improved since its first inception.

I did notice that my ul in Shareaza while using BT are all going to other BT users at very decent speeds, no better or worse than any other BT client I have used, however for the first time I saw that G2 users are now swarming into my dl.

Also I would not try to make any comparisons to FT with Shareaza, the only thing remotely close is the GUI, much nicer though, which is quite intentional I imagine since if FT finally takes a shit the masses will quickly flock to Shareaza I think. Myself I occasionally use BT and eDonkey, and never use Gnut, thus I was glad to have them all in one GUI simple...

Gre1
11-04-2003, 04:21 PM
So Shareaza is garbage compared to the real BT.

junkyardking
11-04-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Gre1@4 November 2003 - 16:21
So Shareaza is garbage compared to the real BT.
The first versions wernt that great, but they have fixed the bugs and now it swarms the downloads from the g2 network making it faster than with the tracker alone.

As i have prevously said it now has trackerless bittorent this evovles the client from being a tracker based client which considered is a major weakness in the protacol to a distributed network client, it still distributes the file the same way but uses the g2 and/or the tracker to search for the file.

In a sense if someone wanted to set up a a shareaza bittorent site(which would be a great idea) you would still get the great speeds but without the need for a tracker.

But if it takes off which i think it will bittorent will be all the better for it.