PDA

View Full Version : The "demo-memo"

j2k4
11-05-2003, 05:35 PM
The following is the work product of a Democrat staffer for the U.S. Senate Select Committee on Intelligence.

This committee is supposed to be one of those where partisanship is left at the door.

The Committee is composed of equal numbers of Republicans and Democrats to ensure balance.

Opinions, please?

Not to be parochial, but I would like to hear from some Americans, too, and yes, Billy, you are welcome also. :)

We have carefully reviewed our options under the rules and believe we have identified the best approach. Our plan is as follows:

1) Pull the majority along as far as we can on issues that may lead to major new disclosures regarding improper or questionable conduct by administration officials. We are having some success in that regard. For example, in addition to the president's State of the Union speech, the chairman has agreed to look at the activities of the Office of the Secretary of Defense as well as Secretary Bolton's office at the State Department. The fact that the chairman supports our investigations into these offices and co-signs our requests for information is helpful and potentially crucial. We don't know what we will find but our prospects for getting the access we seek is far greater when we have the backing of the majority. (Note: we can verbally mention some of the intriguing leads we are pursuing.)

2) Assiduously prepare Democratic "additional views" to attach to any interim or final reports the committee may release. Committee rules provide this opportunity and we intend to take full advantage of it. In that regard, we have already compiled all the public statements on Iraq made by senior administration officials. We will identify the most exaggerated claims and contrast them with the intelligence estimates that have since been declassified. Our additional views will also, among other things, castigate the majority for seeking to limit the scope of the inquiry. The Democrats will then be in a strong position to reopen the question of establishing an independent commission (i.e. the Corzine amendment).

3) Prepare to launch an independent investigation when it becomes clear we have exhausted the opportunity to usefully collaborate with the majority. We can pull the trigger on an independent investigation at any time-- but we can only do so once. The best time to do so will probably be next year either:

A) After we have already released our additional views on an interim report -- thereby providing as many as three opportunities to make our case to the public: 1) additional views on the interim report; 2) announcement of our independent investigation; and 3) additional views on the final investigation; or

B) Once we identify solid leads the majority does not want to pursue. We could attract more coverage and have greater credibility in that context than one in which we simply launch an independent investigation based on principled but vague notions regarding the "use" of intelligence.

In the meantime, even without a specifically authorized independent investigation, we continue to act independently when we encounter foot-dragging on the part of the majority. For example, the FBI Niger investigation was done solely at the request of the vice chairman; we have independently submitted written questions to DoD; and we are preparing further independent requests for information.

Summary

Intelligence issues are clearly secondary to the public's concern regarding the insurgency in Iraq. Yet, we have an important role to play in the revealing the misleading -- if not flagrantly dishonest methods and motives -- of the senior administration officials who made the case for a unilateral, preemptive war. The approach outline above seems to offer the best prospect for exposing the administration's dubious motives and methods.

Billy_Dean
11-06-2003, 06:17 AM
Seems fair enough to me. Are you claiming the Republicans go into these meeting without a political agenda? I would find it naive in the extreme if these committees were approached in any other way, by either side.

:)

Rat Faced
11-06-2003, 08:51 AM
If that is an internal Democrat memo, then i must congratualte them on not taking full advantage of the Republicans.

The Summary appears to suggest that they are concerned about the methods and motives of the senior administration, as are the majority of the worlds population. The surprising thing is: So is the chairman, and majority of the committee..the Chairman is doubtless a Republican?

They will, of course, take advantage of any additions thay can add to a report...Im sure the Republicans showed them how.

j2k4
11-06-2003, 04:20 PM
My point was that the Republicans are smart enough not to commit such things to paper. :D

Seriously, though: have you seen any of the media coverage? Maybe not you two, considering where you are, but the Dems are doing CYA and shaking and baking like they have actually done something wrong!

This is something not normally seen. :lol:

Also: No matter your opinion, in matters such as intelligence the Republicans do manage to act more honorably than the Dems, i.e., not playing "politics" in this committee.

This is only an indication of the degree to which Democrats are out of touch with the guy we refer to as "John Q. Public".

They can't get elected with the "same old, same old", and they are reduced to the commission of scandalous acts rather than competing in the arena of ideas.

(I had to throw in that last so as not to destroy your mis/preconceptions about me-hope it was sufficient! :))

Rat Faced
11-06-2003, 07:16 PM
My point was that the Republicans are smart enough not to commit such things to paper. 

Your right....they tape 'em. ;)

Also: No matter your opinion, in matters such as intelligence the Republicans do manage to act more honorably than the Dems

Like lying to the UN about WMD?

Now thats a use of the word honourable I havent heard before... :blink:

j2k4
11-06-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Rat Faced@6 November 2003 - 15:16
Like lying to the UN about WMD?

Rat-

We didn't have to lie to the U.N.; they already believed Iraq had WMD, remember?

Only since they haven't been found have they "unconvinced" themselves. ;)

BTW-In this, the digital age, Republicans no longer use tape. :D

EDIT: ADDED SMART-ASS COMMENT.

Rat Faced
11-07-2003, 03:12 PM
Which makes it even less honourable that they were lied too... :P

And no...most never believed that Iraq was a risk..